Lease agreement/Thin walls/Noise pollution

B

bazz777

Hi guys,
New member here and I know theres a thread on 'noise pollution' but my query doesn't really fit in there.Basically I'd really appreciate some advice.Here it goes,I'm a student who just moved into (college owned but privately run?)student accomodation,a 4 bedroom apartment with other guys.I signed a lease that takes me up to the summer and paid the full rent upfront which was very expensive.Problem is the standard of the building here,the walls may aswell not exist,and yep,i know students hardly have a reputation for being quiet,loud music etc but allowing for that is still seems ridiculous to me.
For example.lying in my my (fixed) bed I can hear my flatmate in the bathroom nextdoor,and not just the flush(eww).I can perfectly hear a conversation 3 rooms away and hear every heavy fire door in the entire (huge) building slamming at any given time.I dont mean to sound like a whinger or whatever but are buildings supposed to have some sort of minimum insulation or something?None of my neighbours are excessively noisy so i cant complain.All I can think of doing is asking for a total refund from the accomodation office on these grounds.Does anybody think I would stand a chance or are all modern buildings this bad?I did sign a contract etc so am i just stuck with this?
I'd really appreciate a bit of input here,i guess it doesnt sound like a bit deal compared to other problems but ive barely slept for several nights now and its just the beginning of the year!:eek:

Re: Lease agreement/Thin walls/Noise pollution/

hey kick up a stink and thats a start, it should not be that bad, it really sounds terrible. Are they near DCU by any chance?

The thing is they should pass miimum standards and prob do pass MINIMUM standards for sound insulation but in this type of build I can imagine a developer cutting corners as the tenants are much less likely to cause any fuss compared to how well they would have to build them to sell privately.

Obviously the owners, investros, dont care as they will never live in them....bought for tax relief usu!

Re: Lease agreement/Thin walls/Noise pollution/

Hope things work out. In the meantime would you consider using ear plugs? You can get little foam ones and they are quite good.

Hi Bazz,

Sorry to hear about your lack of sleep and the accommodation problems. Been there, done that with in my case noisy neighbours and it makes one realise why sleep deprivation might work well in a torture situation.

Would your student's union be able to provide help? If the situation is so bad they might have had complaints in the past.

I'd kick up a stink and demand a full refund, regardless of what's in the contract. It can't hurt.

are all modern buildings this bad?
I don't think so. Our terraced townhouse was built in the mid 90s and the sound insulation between houses is pretty good although all internal walls are studded partitions so that limits the effectives of internal noise insulation. I've been in houses built over 50 years ago that have had terrrible insulation between adjoining properties and sometimes internally.

Are there not new building regulations in place now. I thought all new buildings had to be insulted to a very high standard.

For example.lying in my my (fixed) bed I can hear my flatmate in the bathroom nextdoor,and not just the flush(eww).

I suppose if you don't get any satisfaction from the college you could always decide to.....just go with the flow!! :D

Hi bazz777,

I empathise with you, since I'm currently living with very noisy neighbours, and sleep deprivation is torture.

DEFINITELY go to the accomodation office to complain.
Make an appointment to see the manager of the accomodation office, so that it's more formal.
Explain what you can hear, how it is impossible to get any sleep, your studies shall suffer etc, and insist upon a full refund. Bring a letter with you, stating exactly what you want too.

Good luck with it!

Back