Additional charges at weddings - I've heard it all now!!

europhile

An acquaintance has just told me that he has been quoted EU15 PER GUEST for cushions for the seats at his wedding in a west County Dublin hotel. Personally, I would tell them to shove their cushions up their gooters and take my business elsewhere.

He could contact them, thank them for advising him and say that fortunately, he's just in time to add an extra line to the wedding invitations, explaining about the hotel's proposed €15 charge and inviting guests to bring their own cushions..?

Is this to do with "dressing" the wedding? You can pay extra if you want a special cover and bows etc on your chairs..

Is this to do with "dressing" the wedding? You can pay extra if you want a special cover and bows etc on your chairs..
I think it is more to do with an added profit for the hotel. As well as that they don't have to worry about the overall condition of the chairs as they are going to be covered - which can be taking off and washed for the next foolish couple who are fooled into this racket of hotels' pricing.
Somebody has to call halt to all this nonsence associated with weddings.

Somebody has to call halt to all this nonsence associated with weddings.

They wouldn't continue to have these charges if people didn't actually pay them. If consumers (in this case happy couples) said no, and in fact, pulled their business completely from the hotel because of such charges, you'd soon see the end of them.

But Irish consumers, I believe, won't take such strong action. We've got too much money to be worried about such things - in general.

because they have Oirish guests who will compare and Biddy and Moan about the couple "scrimpin on this wedding compared to the last one we were at..." (even thought they are being fed a royal prices)
Deafness is not what most couples want to have to develop on their wedding day so they probably feel compelled to have the extras- that said it was €6k for our room to be "dressed", i dunno if that included cushions - it was struck out immediatly as a Franc extra that we did not need....

that said it was €6k for our room to be "dressed", i dunno if that included cushions - it was struck out immediatly as a Franc extra that we did not need....

Do I understand this correctly? You spend €6k on dressing a room for your wedding?

because they have Oirish guests who will compare and Biddy and Moan about the couple "scrimpin on this wedding compared to the last one we were at..."

And did you do this because of these people that YOU invited to your own wedding?

I'm dumbfounded.:confused:

I wonder will each cushion have a €2 credit card charge per person rather than the one off €2 charge for the lot?

I though the only dressing necessary in your room on your wedding night was undressing:D

....."bridezillas" you mean.

I think the groom is just as bad these days. Weddings have gone the same way as .....the right house, the right car etc. :(

I wonder how long this hotel has had these cushions for. At EU15 a head or is it backside, they've bought them ten times over in the last year I'll bet!

Do you get to take them home with you? Like party bag favours I mean?

I think the groom is just as bad these days

I agree, there would have been no wedding had I even considered paying for this "room dressing" lark:) incidentally it means AFAIK , putting on chair covers and folding the napkins a different way than what they fold for free and maybe coordinating the colour of the table flowers to match your "theme".... The crazy thing is that if you do not pay this charge the hotel is not going to look a wreak, as they are in the business of looking good as potential customers are all around.

But in defense of all the bridzillas out there, hotels are VERY pushy as are Parents who are now forking out crazy cash so their darlings have a "proper" do in Ireland instead of small or foreign weddings - they will pay for all this plaver on behalf of the couple who may only want an easy life..
just a thought.

Wedding venues in Ireland seem to be booked up years in advance so hotels can chance their arm at adding on ridiculous costs to the 'happy couple' who cannot say no we are not paying and go to another hotel in the area which has probabaly been booked up for the next three years....

What happened to two people in love sharing their happy day with friends and family? More of a p!ssing contest for "best party" nowadays. All this extra luxury "stuff" is just a waste of money of demonstrates how materialistic people have become, none of that stuff adds to your joy in getting marrried and most guests wont even notice after a few pints.

Having done 7 weddings in the past 18 months (mine included), i haven't seen any of the add-ons, in fairness, I might not notice them, but I can categorically say I've yet to see ice sculptures, chocolate fountains and big ribbons on me chair.
Maybe it's a Dublin thing as all the weddings I've been to have been down the country?

The things I have noticed at weddings which can add a lot to the cost are disposable cameras, little boxes of chocolates at the tables, a piper leading the couple to their tables, unusual place settings, and white chair covers with a ribbon attached to the back.
All pretty but unnecessary and costly without adding very much to the experience.

Most people discuss the meal and the band and what people wore and how much they had to drink after a wedding not what sort of bow as attached to the back of the chair!

Most people discuss the meal and the band and what people wore and how much they had to drunk after a wedding not what sort of bow as attached to the back of the chair!

defo apart from the ceremony itself the most talked about / remembered elements of a good party are the grub and band. and maybe a fight or accident that may occur.

Ive worked in entertainment (Wedding DJ) for last 10 years and attend between 30-40 weddings a year. The below is based on what Ive seen and after talking to guests and bride and grooms

Food. beef or salmon/corn fed chicken etc instead of turkey and ham can make a difference of 1500e (10e extra for 150 people). People are hungry with a couple of drinks on, theyll eat anything.

Buses. Is it 300e plus per bus? Ive seen 3 dublin buses lined up to take 4 people home. Forget about them unless you know for a fact therell be lots (50-60) going to the afters.

Toast. this is expensive costing up to 6-700euro to buy everyone a drink. you dont need it. everyone has a drink in their hand and will just order more for the sake of it.

Cars. c500e to get picked up. Hire a ferrari and drive it yourselves. still cost you a few bob, but you get to drive it!

Country weddings for dublin people. "Oh honey, lets share our day with everyone we know by having our wedding in a lovely castle in cashel". Average couple before new clothes and pressie now has to spend 200e on accomodation and arrange babysitters and transport. No matter how scenic you think your wedding day looks in that castle, half the people there will be looking at you and thinking "wtf did they make us pay all of this money for, why didnt they just get jurys?". If you wanna share your day, have it central to the majority of people who are going to it, this has been said to me by a LOT of people.

same goes for foreign weddings, wanna go foreign? invite close family and have a party when you get back. People love a day out with friends and family, not a week.

fireworks. forget them. youll spend 2-300e plus on some bangers. Unless you get the lads who do skyfest, theyre a waste of money. Noone will say this to the brides face though.

Pipers. these are so-so, they can add to the occassion but more often then not dont.

Items Ive seen that just always seem to work:
chocolate fountains.
chicken and mushroom vol au vents for starters.
finger food during the night. Make sure this is good and plentiful!!
really good entertainment, from DJs to bands to church singers to magicians to clowns to irish dancers, Ive seen them all and people remark on them long after the weddings more then anything else. Yes, I do work in entertanment so I may be biased but Ive seen couples save a couple hundred euro and get a not-great band and have people in their chairs all night admiring the 2000e the bride spent on wedding favours ( chocolates, hand tied dinner menus, chair bows, little stones imported from egypt with the bride and grooms names written in chinese etc, etc, etc).

anyway, my 2 cents. (oh yeah, and pay the DJs more money :) )

-- having reread this and other posts, you get the gist, lots of food and music. save on the rest and spend it on your honeymoon.

Back