Key Post: usb hub

O

oulu

Hi I need more hubs for pc i only have 3, i have dell pc 5 yrs old running xp so can u help get the correct one , what do I have to make sure of when buying , also where is best buy cheers

aldi had powered 4 port hubs for sale from last thursday for 12.99e. You could ring around the shops to see if theyve any left as thats an excellent price.
Try to get a powered hub as if you have an unpowered USB you may find yourself not getting as much performance as youd like if you have more then one coming off an unpowered USB hub.

car

By Powered u mean it has a plug for mains, is this correct cheers

By Powered u mean it has a plug for mains
Yes, this is correct.
Komplett.ie have powered ones from 15e but delivery will be extra. Peats.ie powered ones start from 39e, so shop around. It seems that of the products that I viewed on their sites, theyre UNpowered unless otherwise stated. I bought 2 of the aldi powered ones and they work a treat.

usb hub

How do I check if my pc is 1.1 or 2 compatible cheers,

hub size

It says device type universal serial bus controller
manufacturer standard usb host contoller
does this mean it is 1.1 hub cheers

Re: hub size

As far as I know if Device Manager doesn't say "enhanced" anywhere in the USB device listing then you have 1.1 and not 2.0. You can most likely upgrade your PC to USB 2.0 using a PCI expansion card if necessary. See .

Originally posted by oulu :
oulu
(23/3/05 12:47 pm)

waffle

I can buy usb 4 port and firewire to update harddrive to a 2 device is this good value they are 10 Min from me soory for all the posts but I really do need the advice cheers

Can you clarify your point/question please? It's not very clear from that post what you're saying/asking. Thanks.

clubman

I want to buy usb hud with 4 ports as I need more ports but i send alot of pics through email and want to speed up process, I want to use usb device hi speed I think known as 2 and not 1.1 that my pc uses so I need to update hard drive , waffle said I need a firewire and pci card to make hard ware run at hi speed cheers

Re: clubman

See the link that I posted above if you want to check out the possibility of upgrading your existing PC (which is presumably USB 1.1 only) to USB 2.0 and/or FireWire using a PCI expansion card. Note that USB 2.0 and FireWire are unrelated even if you can get combination cards that do both. However both work at around 480Mbps compared to 12Mbps for USB 1.1 and are worth using for transferring large files quicker. Depending on the equipment (e.g. digital camera etc.) either USB 2.0 or FireWire may be more appropriate than the other. You can buy suitable expansion cards online or on the high street although online may be cheaper. Does that address your query?

updating

Ok I buy 2.0 hub seperate with 4 ports that I need,
Then I buy either buy firewire or a pci expansion card,
Is this correct,
so the best way for me to go to hi speed 480mbps is ?
Thanks again

Re: updating

Ok I buy 2.0 hub seperate with 4 ports that I need,

If you want USB 2.0 then you will probably need a USB 2.0 PCI expansion card. This will enable your PC for USB 2.0 and will provide a number of USB 2.0 ports (often between two and four). If you need even more USB 2.0 ports then you can buy an additional hub. Not sure why you'd need so many though unless you're plugging in lots of USB 2.0 devices at once. Note that you can still use your USB 1.1 ports as well.

Then I buy either buy firewire or a pci expansion card

I think that you are mixing up the terms USB (the thing that you're interested in - specifically USB 2.0), PCI (the connectors inside your PC into which expansion cards fit) and FireWire which is another bus interface similar to but not compatible with USB and possibly of no interest to you. Use Google to find more information about these technical terms.

so the best way for me to go to hi speed 480mbps is

If you need high speed USB transfer capabilities then chances are USB 2.0 is what you want.

Sorry - no offence but I find it very difficult to understand your posts.

thanks

No offence taken, Thanks clubman I know now know what I need thanks to you cheers
i am a novice with PC

hi oulo,
I'll supplement good clubmans advice by saying if its just for home use, Id be surprised if you seen any difference between firewire and hi-speed USB so Id go for the 2 hubs and ignore purchaing the pci firewire card if you dont have it already.
I seen those powered 4 port USB hubs in the argos catalog for 29.99e. Come to think of it, c60e seems a bit much for some extra ports.
Anything useful [broken link removed], theres some 7 port hubs there which I havent seen in shops here.

Re: ..

There's a [broken link removed] in Lidl €12.99 from Thursday 31 March.

Re: ..

Note that unlike the one on offer in recently for the same price the Lidl one does not seem to be externally powered but is powered directly from the USB connection to the PC which may be an issue for some users' applications/setups.

Update: actually just noticed the "switching power" bit mentioned by car below and suspect that this might mean that it can be externally powered but best to check for sure as car suggests.

make sure that lidl one is powered as it says Energy supply via USB, main connection possible for "switching power". You dont want to get it home and find theres no adaptor with it.

just about to post the above but CM beat me to it. Id go to a lidl and open the box and see if it has the adaptor, it wasnt clear if the aldi one had the adaptor either until you opened the box.

hub

Hi car/ clubman see I need extra ports on my pc which is 1.1
so I was thinking if I bought pci 2.0 card from waffle for 20E that I would see some benefit because of higher speeds when using mainly camera, lidi hud is 13 e so would I be better getting pci card instead cheers

Back