Key Post: MP3downloading.com - Is it legal ?

R

redstar

This site www.MP3downloading.com offers unlimited access to download thousands of songs and movies for a once-off fee. Each download is free.

Has anyone used these guys ? They say they are 100% legal because they are use file-sharing. Are they really fully legal ?

not exactly

a once off fee. From their site...
---
1 Year Full & Unlimited access @ 3.49€/month (save 65%!!!)
6 Month Full & Unlimited access @ 5.99€/month (save 33%)
3 Month Full & Unlimited access @ 8.99€/month (26.97€)
---

and from their FAQ

----
Are there any per-download fees?
None, whatsoever. Once you become a member there are no further fees for software or service. We present everything conveniently to you as every aspect of our service is aimed to help you obtain maximum enjoyment.
---

So it looks like youre not paying for software but are for the songs.

If you want to go file sharing for free, try any of strangely enough my favorite, limewire, isnt on the list.
Theres the usual [broken link removed] that go with all the above links.
As to the specifics of your question, I dont know whether they are legally selling tracks for you to download (but I doubt it). You could contact IRMA, if youre that concerned.

Re: MP3downloading.com - Is it legal ?

I haven't got an MP3 player. Is it possible to download to your hard drive and burn onto a CD with this site?

GG

Is it possible to download to your hard drive and burn onto a CD with this site?

You can burn MP3 tracks to a CD/DVD-R[W] and then play them on an MP3 compatible CD/DVD player.

MP3downloading.com - Is it legal ?

You can burn MP3 tracks to a CD/DVD-R[W] and then play them on an MP3 compatible CD/DVD player.

I only have an Alba portable hi-fi. Is there any site I can download from, burn to CD and play on the above?

GG

If your hi-fi only plays normal CDs then MP3s are of no use to you since they are compressed versions of the original CD audio tracks and can only be played by MP3 compatible equipment. You can get personal CD/MP3 players for well €50-€100 (e.g. check the Argos catalogue) and you ma be able to connect these to a line in on your stereo if you want to use them for both personal and home sounds. If you can find sites with original uncompressed CD tracks (e.g. CDA or WAV files) then you can probably dowload, burn and play (assuming your player can cope with CD-R[W] media) these but given that these are up to ten times larger than their MP3 equivalent few people are likely to upload/host/download them.

Check out Aldi this week for a personal mp3 cd player for only €27.99.

Using a program such as musicmatch (available from €0 to around €30) you can burn an audio cd of mp3 files (i.e. will burn an audio cd in uncompressed format), which will play on most hi-fis. If you borrow a copied cd off someone and it works in your alba, then using musicmatch will work for you.

burning audio

A breakthrough!!! I posted some weeks ago that I found it impossible to burn audio to CD-Rs so that they would play on my car cd player and my seperates system at home.
Having read so many posters on other forums saying that it was possible, I persevered and found how. Using Nero, it offers me 4 options for burning, audio, mp3 & audio, audio & data, data.
If you burn the mp3s to a CD-R (the cheapest writable cd you can buy) as mp3 & audio then yes you will need a player that supports mp3s. For your bog standard cd player you need to burn as audio only. I have a 52x speed burner and it wouldnt work when burning at that speed, but I dropped the burning speed down to 8x upon recommendation from a friend and it worked, so I can now burn the mp3s to CD-Rs and play them on both car and home stereo, neither of which are mp3 compatible. (Lots of whooping for joy in cars house when the player actually worked :) ).
Get yourself a pack of 25 CD-Rs available from most retailers for around the 10e mark. [broken link removed] have a deal for 100 for 30e, but buy small first to see if they will work.

Post back if you want any more info.

Re: burning audio

Or if you're using Windows and Windows Media Player you can simply add the MP3's to your Library and then add whatever tracks you want to the 'burn' list. The MP3's are then converted to PCM format (which is what CD audio is) which is probably what Nero is doing.

Re: burning audio

so I can now burn the mp3s to CD-Rs and play them on both car and home stereo, neither of which are mp3 compatible.

How many tracks do you get on a single CD-R in this way? Is the sound quality OK?

you can burn an audio cd of mp3 files (i.e. will burn an audio cd in uncompressed format),

Are you saying that it coverts and burns CDA or WAV tracks from the MP3 files so that a bog standard player can play them? Is there any further degradation in quality when converting from MP3 in this way? Presumably you mean that the tracks written are not compressed but that they have lost information through the original track to MP3 compression in the first place?

By the way, the Aldi personal CD/MP3 player is shown [broken link removed].

Aldi personal CD/MP3 player

Must say that's an impressive price drop...! :)

Lidl knocked out an identical kit just before Christmas 2003 for €49.99, and people queued up to buy armfuls of them. I bought a couple myself — for one of my kids and a niece — and they're both still going strong. Sure the car kit alone (in-car charger and audio convertor thingy to stick in your cassette player is still about €10 or €15 from Argos/Dixons...:rolleyes ) And this comes with a pair of rechargeable AAs that will charge in the machine — no need for a seperate battery recharger.

OK, Flash-type mp3 players are great for toting in your shirt pocket, but if you're away from base for a while it's great to have one of these, too — a few CD-Rs (now quasi-'disposable', at <30c a pop...) will hold hundreds/thousands of your fave tracks, but you can also play back ordinary/'real' audio CDs if need be...

But we're getting a bit off-topic here. Whatever way you do it, downloading, or otherwise distributing, or even copying copyright material — yea, verily, even though you may have paid for the commercially-produced original! — is technically illegal, depending on your jurisdiction. That said, I see an interesting discussion at the moment over on (the recently-restored)www.boards.ie...

audio

How many tracks do you get on a single CD-R in this way? Is the sound quality OK?
Nero will burn 80mins of audio to the CD-R. Nero works out the length of the song, (must find out how) from the mp3, the length must be stored in the file somewhere. I just keep adding songs to the list to be burned until Nero shows its gone over the 80 mins, the GUI is quite good in that respect.
The quality is perfect. To test, I took a song that I have on original cd, took down 3 mp3 versions of varying size and theres no difference. Maybe if youre an audiophile youd pick it up...

Are you saying that it coverts and burns CDA or WAV tracks from the MP3 files so that a bog standard player can play them? Is there any further degradation in quality when converting from MP3 in this way? Presumably you mean that the tracks written are not compressed but that they have lost information through the original track to MP3 compression in the first place?
It converts it to WAV. I got the Nero s/w free with my burner, but would have got it anyway as it seems to be the S/W of choice for doing said task.
Im sure there is some degradation somewhere as I burned a 3mb mp3 and a 6mb mp3 of the same song and while not audibly able to hear the difference, there must be something missing. [broken link removed] is about as good a description of the ripping process as Ive read.

Aldi personal CD/MP3 player

Does that Aldi player not skip all over the place when the car goes over a bump in the road?? If not I think I will purchase one for myself this lunch time!

Re: Aldi personal CD/MP3 player

Does that Aldi player not skip all over the place..?
Tbh, it's not great if you put it on the dashboard or on some hard surface that gets a lot of vibration (unless you drive exclusively on motorways..!) I find it copes fine by putting it on the passenger seat, if it's empty, or on your lap — potentially a bit distracting, I know. Once, I took a sharp bend and the thing slid off my lap and down between my knees — took an effort not to take my eyes off the road! :eek

Best would probably be to look around in car accessory shops for one of those velcro-attached support arm thingies — I've seen them used in taxis and vans for holding notepads/mobile phones, etc. and I'm sure you could get one to support a portable CD player on the end of a springy arm that would absorb most of the vibrations..?

Re: Aldi personal CD/MP3 player

Thanks for the reply Doc. Will prob get one, you can't go too far wrong for 28 squids, and will try and source one of those velcro-attached support arm thingies.

Back