The scalding shower

Irish Garden

Hi folks, I just had the most uncomfortable shower of my life.
I was jumping from front to back as the temp kept alternating from cool to roasting.
The shower is a Triton T90si.
The alternating temp happened on the high pressure setting mostly, no matter if the dial was set to 1 or 10.
The water also seemed to splutter once in a while.

If this craic carries on I am gonna be one smelly mutha.

Anyone got any ideas as to a problem and solution?

Switch off Power, take off the cover and clean the filter on the water inlet.

Hi Irish Garden,

Has the shower been fine up to now. When i bought my house the shower was like this and the reason was because it was connected to the mains. There was no water tank and when the water pressure changed so did the temp. I had to get a new water tank and shower put in to avoid becoming a sweaty betty.

I had the exact same issue with my shower, same model as well.
Soaking the shower head in a large bowl of vinegar works a treat. Have very hard water in the area and the shower head gets blocked with limescale. I do this every few months now and its perfect

We had the same problem for a while. One week it was freezing cold and next week it was mega hot! Tried the vinegar and it worked for a while then was back to freezing cold and scaling hot shower.

Phoned Mira and the guy came out and took off the cover and cleaned the filter - took him 5 minutes and cost us EUR75.00.

The shower is now working perfectly.

Will be cleaning the filter the next time ourselves!!!! Very easy when shown!

Right folks, I think the problem is solved.
Heres what I did.

I did not need to soak the shower head in vinegar as I do that every month anyway (we use vinegar for everything in my house). But thanks for that advise.

I closed all trip switchs to the shower and took the cover off. I then removed the filter, it was really easy to do as said. There was one small honeysuckle hedge leaf in it, so I washed it out (can you tell I'm a gardener yet)

I replaced the filter and opened the bleed screw above it to allow water to fill the filter area again.

Before I put the cover back on I sat back and had another think about what could be causing the shower to cycle hot and cold. It must have been some form of sensor. There was, what looked like a sensor attached just above where the water leaves the shower and enters the hose, so I extracted that.

The face of this sensor in contact with the water seemed to have a slight limey film over it. I reaced for my vinegar and cloth to give it a good buff up. Possibly the limey film was insulating the sensor, which in turn allowed the water to scorchingly heat up and then to overcompensate by chilling down again.

I then repositioned the sensor and replaced the shower cover. With the power reconnected, I allowed the water to run on cold for about 2 minutes.
Then I started to check the different heat levels, they all worked and remained constant. Great.

Thanks for all your help.

After such a detailed description I was expecting you to end with.......it didn't work!!:D

Right folks, I think the problem is solved.
Heres what I did.

I did not need to soak the shower head in vinegar as I do that every month anyway (we use vinegar for everything in my house). But thanks for that advise.

I closed all trip switchs to the shower and took the cover off. I then removed the filter, it was really easy to do as said. There was one small honeysuckle hedge leaf in it, so I washed it out (can you tell I'm a gardener yet)

I replaced the filter and opened the bleed screw above it to allow water to fill the filter area again.

Before I put the cover back on I sat back and had another think about what could be causing the shower to cycle hot and cold. It must have been some form of sensor. There was, what looked like a sensor attached just above where the water leaves the shower and enters the hose, so I extracted that.

The face of this sensor in contact with the water seemed to have a slight limey film over it. I reaced for my vinegar and cloth to give it a good buff up. Possibly the limey film was insulating the sensor, which in turn allowed the water to scorchingly heat up and then to overcompensate by chilling down again.

I then repositioned the sensor and replaced the shower cover. With the power reconnected, I allowed the water to run on cold for about 2 minutes.
Then I started to check the different heat levels, they all worked and remained constant. Great.

Thanks for all your help.
and no mention for Lex Luthor ... :-(

Back