Skype - headset or handset

polo1

I want to go ahead and set up skype and I was just wondering whether its better to buy a headset or do I need a handet.
Also where is the best place to buy this and what should I be looking for pls?
Thanks,

Headsets or even a pair of CD/MP3 player personal headphones (i.e. two birds - one stone) and a cheap clip on microphone work fine. Try [broken link removed].

I want to go ahead and set up skype and I was just wondering whether its better to buy a headset or do I need a handet.
Also where is the best place to buy this and what should I be looking for pls?
Thanks,

You could go for a cheap webcam as well and use video calling with Skype V2...

argus do cheap headsets and headsets. bought a headset and the qualiity is fantastic. plus you don't have to hold it !! lazy or what!

the advantage of the handset though, is that you don't need to stay at your computer. You can wander to a different part of the house. Also, some phones are dual (landline and skype) if you didnt want to have too many phones. Cheaply, your computer mic will work for starters.

the advantage of the handset though, is that you don't need to stay at your computer.
Only with certain handsets - e.g. wireless handsets. Not those that connect via USB to your PC or connecting via an ATA to the normal phone line.

I just bought a cheapo headset in Argos and signed up to VoipBuster. Works great. But I must say that I would prefer a VOIP cordless phone.

I've no idea how I managed to do this :eek: , but in my set up at home, I have the Skype sound coming through my speakers, and don't need a headset or handset at all. I just speak, and the other party hears me.

It's a HP computer, and there must be an external microphone on the PC.

It's very handy though. No wires or being tied to the PC (in that room at least).

I've no idea how I managed to do this :eek: , but in my set up at home, I have the Skype sound coming through my speakers, and don't need a headset or handset at all. I just speak, and the other party hears me.
Does this setup not lead to echoes/feedback at one end or the other or both? This was my experience with such a setup (speakers and microphone) using NetMeeting etc. in the past.

Does this setup not lead to echoes/feedback at one end or the other or both? This was my experience with such a setup (speakers and microphone) using NetMeeting etc. in the past.

Specifically for Skype, I haven't had any difficulties on my side regarding feedback or echoes, and I haven't had any complaints from other parties either.

I just bought a cheapo headset in Argos and signed up to VoipBuster. Works great. But I must say that I would prefer a VOIP cordless phone.

I still think the webcam is the best idea - you can actually see the people you are calling. Very neat.

For more frequent use, I would personally try to get a new router or a VOIP bridge (bridging PSTN to VOIP using a protocol such as SIP) so that you can use your existing fixed or cordless phone handsets with the VOIP service.

Specifically for Skype, I haven't had any difficulties on my side regarding feedback or echoes, and I haven't had any complaints from other parties either.

Ditto except that I use a cheap plug-in mike. The big advantrage for me is that a number of people can listen in and even use the mike if required. I'd suggest trying this route before committing to the cost of a headset etc.

I still think the webcam is the best idea - you can actually see the people you are calling. Very neat.

For more frequent use, I would personally try to get a new router or a VOIP bridge (bridging PSTN to VOIP using a protocol such as SIP) so that you can use your existing fixed or cordless phone handsets with the VOIP service.

I bought a little box from 7dayshop for 20 euro that allows me to do skype calls on my wireless dect phone. So I can sit out in the garden and talk free to someone on the other side of the world.

As for Webcam, I don't think I like the idea of seeing people when talking to them.

I bought a little box from 7dayshop for 20 euro that allows me to do skype calls on my wireless dect phone. So I can sit out in the garden and talk free to someone on the other side of the world.

As for Webcam, I don't think I like the idea of seeing people when talking to them.

Sounds cool - can't find anything similar on 7dayshop now - do you have the link?

I find the video calling brilliant for phoning family members with nieces/nephews etc., but not essential for one-to-one calls.

Back