Signwriters who can’t spell

Round Tuit

Signwriters who can’t spell:

Sighted yesterday on south quays in Dublin: 06 D registered van branded L’Artisan Breads and Deserts - I wonder if you can get some of the Sahara Desert or the Gobi Desert from them??

Sighted this am on Patrick St in Dublin: sign outside a barber shop offering specials to Senoir (!?!) Citizens whatever they are.

I won't even go into the apostrophe-itis which seems to have taken over this profession.

Really gets to me - they are supposed to be professionals.

Rant now out of my system.

Round Tuit said:
Really gets to me - they are supposed to be professionals.
Whatever about signwriters — for homework, my kid's teacher gave the class some English worksheets she had made up herself (or copied from a colleague). They contained an exercise which required the children to 'complete the following sentences by inserting apostrophe's in the correct place'... :eek:

There is a bar in Dundalk called The Phoenix - with the sign over the door spelt correctly, but the hanging sign out the front says 'Pheonix Bar'. It drives me mad every time I see it...I mean, have the owners not noticed yet?

DrMoriarty said:
Whatever about signwriters — for homework, my kid's teacher gave the class some English worksheets she had made up herself (or copied from a colleague). They contained an exercise which required the children to 'complete the following sentences by inserting apostrophe's in the correct place'... :eek:

Yes i have come across this as my niece asked me help with her homework - she explained to me where you can put in a comma.... I went mental she had them all over the shop. I blame yer man on the back of the tribune - i could read his article with a level of difficulty but said niece can breeze through it not noticing the cracked spellings "loike roysh":rolleyes: .

Before you come to Enfield, there is a house on side of road, which sold sunrooms and furniture.

They used to have an A Board sign outside "lather suits". Great for a chuckle going past - someone else must have noticed it?

There's an old sign on a disused building opposite where I work for a "Potatoe Merchant". And no - not Quayle and Sons. :D

Our local supermarket sells lion chops. Have often been tempted to ask for a taste of the big game.

A local Dunnes Stores has an aisle with baking products that has a big sign over it saying "Bacon"...

In an estate near us there are litter bins erected by the 'residence association', and beside The Anglers Rest on the strawberry beds, there is 'parking for residence only'...

Not sure if its still there but for years was amused to see a large awning over a shop on possibly Ormond Quay that said ACCOMODATION. Its bad enough that the person who made it did not check the spelling but what about the poor fool who paid for it.

Not a spelling error but in the same vein....there is a Chinese in Donnybrook and they had brass door handles made in the shape of one of the Chinese characters in their name. Only problem is, they were attached to the door upside down....

There used to be a funeral home in Templeogue village and beside it there was a betting shop called - Dead Cert :)

Nortbound on the N81 where the new Arena apartments are being built, there is a right turn and it is signposted for Ballycullen and Firhouse but they've got the wrong place name in Irish underneath.

On the N77 outside Kilkenny there is a sign for a place called "Ballragget".

I saw this in a paper in the UK, "Magistrates act to keep theater open." :D

Clubman, i walk by that sign every day and am wondering was it a spelling mistake or was there supposed to be an "S" and the end of it ??"Potatoe Merchant"!!! All the same how come they have not fixed it yet!

Cant remember the street name but just before Christmas there was a shop in dublin that stated "We bye and sell second hand goods"!!!!!

Sarah said:
Clubman, i walk by that sign every day and am wondering was it a spelling mistake or was there supposed to be an "S" and the end of it ??"Potatoe Merchant"!!!
Eh? Potatoes Merchant? That still doesn't really make sense...
All the same how come they have not fixed it yet!
Probably because the place has been closed years!

Ok, completely off topic, but when I lived in the midlands I used to travel up and down to Kerry every weekend and used to pass a pub in the middle of nowhere called 'The Case is Altered'. Eventually I had to find out why, so one day I stopped there for a drink and asked, but the barmaid could only tell me that the owner had worked in a pub in London of the same name. Anyone the wiser?

Clubman,

Oops! I thought the merchants were part of the fruit business near by!

Vanilla said:
Ok, completely off topic, but when I lived in the midlands I used to travel up and down to Kerry every weekend and used to pass a pub in the middle of nowhere called 'The Case is Altered'. Eventually I had to find out why, so one day I stopped there for a drink and asked, but the barmaid could only tell me that the owner had worked in a pub in London of the same name. Anyone the wiser?
Seems to be quite a few pubs by that name in the UK anyway. Any chance the name derives from the play by Ben Jonson (not the drug cheat)? Actually - there seem to be a few works of literature with the same name...

Back