Key Post: Patio Heaters

S

sueellen

Hi

Could anyone recommend an out door patio heater for family use?

Sally

heating the garden

Don't.
Seems a bit silly that we're all wondering how it is that petrol prices are soaring and then we're heating up the back garden with these devices !
We know that fossil fuel stocks are declining - should we at least not try to use them sensibly.
Laoise

Apparantly

if its too cold to be outside then you're better off inside and if its nice enough to be out then you dont need it at all.

Kinda makes sense in a simple kind of way

Re: Apparantly

We have one which works, more or less. Don't know the brand, but it was one of the earier ones.

If I was buying again I would buy one with a directional head (I'm sure I've seen them somewhere) and with a variable heat setting.

The one we have is one of the standard ones, so the heat just goes straight down (and out a little). This means if you are even a little distance away the heat just misses you. The directional bit allows you to at least angle some of the heat towards people first before it disappears off to keep the birds warm.

The thing also only has 3 heat settings - the highest is a bit intense and possibly dangerous, and the lowest is pretty poor, so this really only leaves one actually usefull setting. A heater with a variable setting would be better.

We also have one of the roundy tables that go around the heater and this is pretty usefull. We bbq a lot in the summer and the table is in constant use whether the heat is on or not.

z

Out Door Heaters - recommendatios

Hi Zag,

Thank you for the constructive comments. I will keep your observations in mind when buying.

Sally

patio heaters

Generally speaking get one with a higher KW output.

The smaller the number the nearer to the patio heater you will have to stand to maximise heat output and the higher numbers like 15 (previously 14.8 for earlier models) will mean more people will derive a benefit from the heater.

BTW the lower the number the cheaper the heater.

Also decide how you will use it. One of the small table ones might be more beneficial if it is just for sitting around a small table. A bigger one for a larger party.

Some other posts

Brynick
All Patio Heaters

Doing up the back garden at the moment and thinking of investing in a patio heater. I know all about the bog standard ones that are in most pubs but does anyone know anything about ''Chimneas'' (I think thats what they are called). They are a heater & BBQ made out of clay I think. Any help would be appreciated...

hopeless
Unregistered User
chimneas

My friend got one and they never use it. They said it was a big hassle and wished that they got a patio heater.

Spacer
Unregistered User

Saw them being sold at the Horse Show a couple of years ago. They seem to turn up at all those events (ideal homes, etc).

They're hard to describe. They're like a small stand-alone pizza oven made of the same material as the standard chimney.

They're fuelled in much the same way as a convential solid fuel fire which means they have to be lit in advance, refueled, cleaned out etc. They're probably a more aesthetically acceptable option, but the obvious downside is that you have to plan their use well in advance - which may be fine if you're planning a big might and the weather plays its part, but a bit of a pain if all you want to do is sit outside for half an hour with a glass of wine.

The neighbours might also have something to say about the smoke they produce.

All-in-all, a nice looking piece of garden furniture good for the occasional use, but not a very practical option.

argos
Unregistered User
bad idea

argos sell them.

my mom was never able to use hers, i wouldnt recommend them

I think I heard a while ago that the tall gas patio heaters were being taken off the market. Is this the case?

If not, where can I buy one? The usual suspects e.g. Atlantic, B&Q etc. don't have them.

I bought a really good one, doesn't even require gas!
I was made of a cloth material, had 2 sleeves, and kept me really warm, I believe
you can also get them in the wrap around kind without sleeves, and these can even be
used together for more than one person...hmm..warm

Patio heaters guzzle gas, the vast majority of the heat is lost to atmosphere,
and in a world where fuel is running out, and the planet is moving towards
a spiral of runaway weather, shouldn't we be acting a tad more responsibly?

Sad thing is, we are leaving this world soon, but handing it to the next generation
in a worse state than it was handed to us.

Any other suggestions for how to enjoy sitting in the fresh air in the garden/ patio in the evening when it's nippy?
I've seen fire pits and chimineas around a lot lately, but wonder do you need to be huddled over them for effect, and are there any rules they might break re smoke etc? Are they annoying for neighbours or people sitting near them, does the smoke travel? Any special suggestions for what to burn in them?
I love being outside on summer evenings but our weather just doesn't make it easy does it?

Back