PC sums

G

geegee

The PC sums for a new house are the following:

€2900 kitchen
€1500 sanitaryware
€1100 two fireplaces.

The builder has approved suppliers who are the only ones permitted to work on the house prior to legal completion.
What this means to me is that I have to go to one company for each of the above and am stuck with their price. I would prefer to shop around but then I'd have to wait until after Completion before the stuff can be fitted. I also have a feeling that each supplier will be some sort of "cashback" from the builder which of course would be built in to the price that I pay!

I've had a kitchen and Utilty quote so far which was €8,500 for a good quality average sized kitchen in a 2200sq.ft detached house. Is this price about right?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/experience.

gg

I've had a kitchen and Utilty quote so far which was €8,500 for a good quality average sized kitchen in a 2200sq.ft detached house. Is this price about right?
Hi! The sq.ft of the actual house is of little relevance. What are the dimensions of the kitchen itself, or rather, the units themselves? Any special features? What type wood? Lights/appliances/hood etc included?

I will revert with dimensions. In the meantime, has anyone used cash and carry kitchens? How do you rate them?

Hi geegee,

Since some readers may not be familiar with the term 'PC sums' I'll define the term here. The term Im more familiar with is builders allowances.

Prime Cost Sums 'PC Sums'
Sometimes the architect/designer sets aside a fixed amount, known as prime cost (PC) sums, for certain items, for example the taps and door handles. This leaves you to choose them yourself. If you choose the most expensive items, you will need to find extra money over and above the specified PC sums to buy them.

Specific, adjustable amounts allowed in the contract for the supply of required materials, for example, hardware and plumbing ware.

See here for cash and carry kitchens and more.

ajapale

cash and carry kitchens

i was in there last week and quite impressed with the range and quality - solid door frames with veneered centre panels. they had a nice range of accessories and and i particularly like that the price is the same regardless of the range you choose.
the next day we went up to mfi and hygena in newry for quotes
mfi - good quality but no fancy glass or diagonal corner units in the style were after, also 2k dearer than C&C.

hygena - simalar range to mfi and same price as c&c. additionally they had a special deal on appliances which made the package very attractive.

in the end we have decided that we will order from cash and carry as the kitchen was the nicest

Re: cash and carry kitchens

In the meantime, has anyone used cash and carry kitchens?
A family member has, and they are very happy with what they got.

I bought new kitchen from Balally branch of C & C five years ago and am still very satisfied. They were very
efficient.

It cost quite a bit more than the quote because the fitter, electrician, tiler and tiles were extras but saved the hassle of sourcing them.

C & C probably have deals with mfgrs. too. I bought the
fridge, hob and a more powerful extractor fan from D.I.D.
because I didn't like those applicances in the show kitchen. C.& C. did supply the Neff cooker (circotherm which is very good) and dishwasher. The only things I'd change are the oven and dishwasher.

A combined grill and oven makes for a greasy oven and
waste of time work or smoke filled kitchen. A separate grill and oven is a must I'd say. The standard sized dishwasher is more suitable for a largish family. Didn't know there was a smaller sized one. It costs much the same but doesn't take as long to fill.

€2,900 for a kitchen if it includes appliances seems to be
a snip. We get what we pay for, don't we?

I have the dimensions of the kitchen:

A corner area 1.8m x 1.9m
A wall 4.9m long with a window in the middle of it.

Utility: A corner area 1.6m x 1.1m
A corner area 0.8m x 0.5m

I was thinking of three different types: painted, oak and PVC.

How much should I expect to pay, ballpark figures of course, for these type of kitchens including fitting but excluding appliances ?

Cheers,

GG

Got one quote - €9,000 not incl.appliances! The thing is the developer wants me to go with them and any other supplier will have to wait until after L/C to fit the kitchen. What would happen about the plumbing of the sinks etc. in that case?

What would happen about the plumbing of the sinks etc. in that case?

as long as the pipes are in roughly the right place, flexible hoses can be used to make the final connections. im sure they can either leave the water switched off or fit some temporary cheap taps to block off the pipes.

Thanks EAMONN66,

What I meant was more about the cost of plumbing it in - the builders plumber will do it if we use the approved supplier but will they come back and do it after L/C if we use aanother supplier?

What do you think of the price?

Back