Key Post: Pisa or Florence.

C

Contango10

I would be very grateful if somebody could direct me to any good websites for hotels in Pisa or Florence, or Rome.

Contango10

Florence

I was in Florence last year in August and various hotels and b+bs had people at the train station offering accomadation at reasonable rates.

Pisa or Florence

Just to add my ha'ppeny worth (or whatever the euro equivalent is!) If you are choosing between the two cities to base yourselves in, I would definitely opt for Florence. There really is not a lot to Pisa once you've "done" the Leaning Tower. Florence can be v. crowded, depending on time of year, but there is so much more to see there. Hope this helps!

Re: Florence

I would agree with LC.

Visually, Florence is a beautiful city. Try and avoid it though in the summer months, because, as well as being crowded, it can also be very hot. If you happen to be "into" art galleries, the Uffici Gallery is a "must see".

As LC says, there isn't a lot in Pisa once you've seen the Leaning Tower. Personally, I found the area around the Tower somewhat tacky.

For hotels, etc., in the region, try www.tuscany.net.

Re: Pisa or Florence

Or even stay out of the cities - Both Pisa & Florence were nice for just one day, but there are some amazing sights around Tuscany outside the cities. Find the nice vineyards, mountain villages, spas etc - Also food/drink is about half the price of Pisa/Florence if you get up into the small mountain villages.

touring italy

am going to italy at the end of sep for a wedding. were planning to fly into milan,(stay for 2 nights) head to venice (1 night), florence (2 nights) and then onto wedding in san gimignano. am looking for recommendations for hotels in the cities. accomodation in san g is sorted. after wedding wouldn't mind heading to a vineyard close to cinque terre, genoa or turin regions for a few nights before flying back from milan.

Also is it possible to pre-book trains or is it cheaper to buy as you go?

Re: Pisa or Florence

I think that you may be able to pre-book trains on this site but public transport is quite reliable and very good value in Italy so you probably won't lose out too much by just getting the tickets when you get over there:

[broken link removed]

Re: touring italy

Avoid Pisa at all costs, apart from a fleeting visit to the Tower. I made the mistake of spending a couple of days there a little while back and it was no better than Longford, (see 'Worst Towns in Ireland' thread of some time ago).

Pisa

I agree with O'Brien.

Base yourself in Florence take a day trip out to Pisa.

Florence

Contango 10

If you liked the film adaptation of EM Forster's Room with a view which was set in Florence then you may like to consider staying in one of the pensions used during the filming.

There are two. The Quisisana and the Annalena. The film actually mixed the view over Florence from one pension with the interior of the other.

Pisa or Florence

I was in florence last year and while it is really beautiful and is well worth a visit if you have the time then spend a few days in sienna. It's only a few hours from florence by bus and is easily one of the most beautiful cities i've been to.

Re:Lucca

Friend of mine went over with Ryanair to Pisa last year(via Charleroi). Stepped out of airport at Pisa and got train to Lucca, said it was a gorgeous small city and much nicer than Pisa.
Slim 8)

Re: >>Pisa or Florence.

Is there a ceap and quick way of getting to Florence? There appear to be no direct flights.

There are some direct flights from Stansted (Meridian Airlines, I think), but getting from Pisa is no hassle. The train station is at Pisa airport and it takes about 45 minutes to get into the heart of Florence. Taxi, then, to your hotel.

It seems the best direct route to take is Dublin to Bologna and then get the train to Florence, unless anyone knows different??

What about somewhere nice but reasonable to stay in Florence?

I flew last year from dublin to florence via frankfurt with lufthansa, persume they are still doing it.

Back