Key Post: S. Africa

M

Marion

I am planning to go to S.Africa on my honeymoon.
5 nights Sun city, 2 nights Kruger national park, 7 nights

Cape Town.
I would like to know if anyone had any experience of the above and could recommend places to stay and visit.
Has I would like to make this holiday a very special one.
Thanks.

S.Africa

I've just got back from South Africa and it's a fantastic country. Definitely recommended. I think you'ld be pushed to spend 7 nights in Cape Town itself, which is not the most exciting city in the world, but then you are on your honeymoon. You can have a nice pub crawl along Long Street, go up Table Mountain, etc. The food is good and inexpensive, so there are lots of opportunities for eating out in pavement cafes, drinking excellent white wine, etc. I stayed in the Waterfront Holiday Inn, and I had no complaints. There is a shuttle bus from the hotel to the waterfront and you can walk to the city centre (but be careful after dark). I'd recommend hiring a car and travelling all over. Even in Cape Town you need a car to get to Camps Bay, Cape of Good Hope nature reserve, etc. The Lonely Planet guide book will tell you all you will need to know. If you want something more adventurous, do what I did, and book a self-drive + accommodation with SA company Drifters [broken link removed] You can book this in Ireland with Collette Pearson in Maxwell Travel in Dublin.

Re: S.Africa

I agree with PEM, 7 nights in Capetown is a lot. I stayed in the Breakwater Lodge (former prison) at the waterfront. It was basic but adequate and very cheap. The waterfront is good for shopping, cosmetics are great value! I wasn't fond of the city centre - I felt very unsafe even though I was never on my own. There was a good Indian restaurant, can't remember the name but probably the only Indian in Capetown.

I would recommend a cable car trip up cable mountain but after 3 or 4 days in Capetown you've seen it all.
Hope you have a great trip.

S.Africa

Thanks for the replies, I will take on board regarding 7 nights in Cape Town.
I will definitely hire car and explore the Winelands/garden-route probably stay three nights in that area.
If anyone knows of a nice hotel or town in that part of the country I would be grateful. I might stay in the SAS Radisson on the waterfront in Cape twn for the remaining 4 days. where the
Other half will go on a shopping spree. I am bit concerned
regarding safety at night.

S.Africa

Been there twice - - love the place. A good and cheap idea is to rent a mobile phone at the airport. then you can keep in contact and it makes you feel safer...very reasonable, I think it cost up about 60euro for 11 nights and we used it!! Check out www.portfoliocollection.com for great accommodation for anything from bed & breakfast to country retreats. when we went to kruger we got a hint from a guide book (fodors/frommers) that there were particular chalets in Olifants camp that were the biz..got one and it was on the side of a hill looking down on a lake...all the animals came to you so check that one out.
we stayed in "portfolio collection" places every time and they were great. Used the mobile phone to book them.
Before you go, get to know some SA wine so you know what wineries to visit. Loved Rust-en-Vrede and Delheim - - lovely for a day out and lunch and a glass of wine.

You will enjoy yourself more that you think..I'm green with envy!!

Enjoy...

Re: S.Africa

Stayed in Franschoek in a vineyard - very nice but wouldn't spend more than a day or two there.
Hermanus is nice and relaxing and you can go kyacking in the sea where you can get really close to whales (scary but a great experience). You can also go in a cage to see the sharks but I didn't get around to doing that.

--

Danzer,

Was in SA on honeymoon recently and thoroughly enjoyed but if you want this holiday to be "a special one" don't go to sun city for 5 nights. I love my one armed bandits, golf and lying by the pool but after 3 nights I was bored.
Stayed in the palace, impressive but too expensive.

Add at least one night onto Kruger. I am not an animal lover but found this experience awe inspiring. It's worth every penny.
[broken link removed]
This place is pure luxury. Has a wine cellar built into a river bed where you are invited to choose your wine for your sunset safari and dinner that evening.
The pictures tell the story.

Stayed in the Radisson Waterfront. Nice joint and reasonable but in the evening you need to travel anywhere by taxi for safety reasons. But it's so cheap.

In Stellenbosch, the Devon Hill Hotel is down to earth with great food and wine tasting.
The Spire Wine Estate is luxury personified and reasonable. The dinner menu is a bit too fancy for me though.

Hope this helps and best of luck on honeymoon and in marriage.

S.Africa

Thanks everybody for your comments and advice, I have
now a good idea of what to do.
3 nights in Sun city, 3 nights Kruger national park, fly into
Port Elizabeth hire car for the Garden route probably do
3 nights stopping at different places while on route to
Capetown. four nights in Capetown.

kruger

make sure you do a walking safari while in kruger, its fantastic.
usually the guides take small groups walking into the bush early in the morning to spot big and small animals, you walk on trails and really see the wildlife up close(including big 5), it lasts about 2 hours and the guides are really good a pointing out stuff.

The driving safari's on the jeeps are fine for a while but it's a little too disney like however the bush takes a completely new meaning when on foot!

Also don't rely on insect spray that is bought (and designed) for europe, buy the stuff over there as it's made to repel their big varieties and it'll be much cheaper.

Finally buy a cheap pair of binoculars for the safari's as they make the whole thing much better

Garden Route

While you're travelling down the garden route, make sure you stop off at Storms river, even if just for half an hour. Knysna is well worth staying in for a while. The lagoon is pretty good. Alternatively, stay in Plettenberg bay. It's got a good beach, and there's a good chance of spotting dolphins just off the rocks. The Cango Caves at Oudtshoorn are also well worth a visit. To tell the truth, I'm not sure I'd bother with Sun City at all. Skip that, and give yourself longer to explore along the Garden Route.

SA with kids

I'm considering SA (Cape Town/Safari) next year with two kids (16,12) and myself (so one adult). Good idea/bad idea? What's the driving like - allowing for the fact that I'm the only one driving so can't share it out. Are there minimum ages for Safaris (jeep/walking). Both kids are fit and into hiking, camping etc., (more than me to be honest!). Is camping a runner?

Regarding the Ages on the Safari Walking/Drives .. I think they had an age limit on the walking safaris (and the biking ones that some of the Kruger Camps offer)

is the official site of the SA National Parks .. lots of good info there on the Kruger and their other parks.

If visiting the Kruger from October-April be aware that there is Malarial risk and taking tablets (not the really strong ones) is advised... in the dryer season this may not be necessary (obviously check this!)

I dont' know if camping is a runner - it's probably not practical from a baggage allowance point of view to bring a tent ?.. Some of the Lodges have (fairly fancy) Safari Tents for hire.

As regards the Cape Town stuff.. would agree that 3 days is probably plenty .. the one thing to be aware of though is that in Cape Town the weather can be unreliable during the winter especially (Maritime climate like our own) ..many of the cape town activities such as Table Mountain and Robben Island are fairly weather dependent (e.g there's not much point in going up Table Mountain if it's all in cloud ... the boat to Robben Island won't run if it's stormy etc. ) ... so you might want to allow a little more slack time just in case you get a day when you can only do indoor things.

camping in SA

Thanks for that. On the camping front, the one advantage of travelling with kids is that I effectively end up with 3 times the luggage allowance. I'll check out the site you've given.

Some other posts

OhPinchy
South Africa - any recommendations?

Myself and the other half are lucky enough to be going to South Africa for 3 weeks in September and we'd love any adivce or recommendations for what to do, where to go, where to stay etc.

We've heard SA is cheap, but everywheres cheap compared to Dublin so what does that mean...how cheap? We'd like to stay in comfort, not luxury, so whats the going rate for hotels, food etc?

Also we'd be on for ANY adventure sports so do AAMers out there have any advice on where to do that stuff down there and how much etc.?

Any good travel sites with forums on this stuff out there cos I haven't found many? Nice one

AidanC
South Africa

SA is a lot cheaper than Diblin, particularly outside of Cape Town. You would pay less than 10Eur for a huge steak for example.

In Cape Town I'd recommend a restaurant called "Five Flies", fairly swanky but worth a visit. Also a music bar called "Mama Africa" nearby was very entertaining.

Around 4 days will see a lot of Cape Town. We took a taxi to Constantia, an historic vinyard about 20 miles from Cape Town. The taxi driver waited for 2.5 hours to take us home, and it cost us 30Euros, including a decent tip. Probably would have cost 3 times that at home.

A drive down the garden route to Port Elizabeth is well worth it, loads of nice beach places to stop off.

To see wild life, you can choose between Kruger (with it's malaria) or somewhere like Shamwari (very good for a day trip, but expensive, especially if staying overnight)

If driving, as I assume you would, don't let your petrol go too low, as garages aren't as numerous as in Ireland. Also, be aware that not all roads are tarmac'd. This can be off putting, especially at night !

EvilDoctorK
Re: SA with kids

Car Rental - it's relatively cheap - probalby around R250 / 30€ per day is as good as you get for a decent car (distances are quite large if you're travelling to the Garden Route etc. so it's worth paying a little extra for a decent car). Car Rental is really necessary I would have said .. you'll pay a lot in Taxis etc. otherwise as walking/public transport isn't really a viable option. Roads are good and driving is generally reasonably sensible (I would avoid night drives outside of urban areas)

Petrol - around 75% the price of here (it's around R4.60 a litre)

Hotels - fairly expensive in Cape Town (if it looks cheap check the location!) .. lots cheaper outside Cape Town (there are great B&Bs in many towns)

Restaurants - probably 1/2 the cost of here ... in Cape Town a good dinner with wine for two in a place like Five Flies will cost you around R400 .. so €50 or so .. (I liked "Beluga" better than Five Flies but both are decent)... there's a very good selection of restaurants in Cape Town and standards are generally very good.

Grizzly
Unregistered User
Capetown...Is it safe?

Thinking of going to Capetown for a holiday. The trouble is I keep hearing horror stories about South Africa. I would be interested in hearing from anyone with "firsthand" travelling experience to Capetown on places and things to avoid or times to stay in the hotel rather than venture out- or is this safety thing an urban legend.

Barry
Unregistered User
Cape Town

Grizzly,

I've been there twice in the last 5 years. I know at least 25 people who have been there during this time period also.

Not one has mentioned a harsh word, never mind an incident of any sort.

That said, like all major cities there are areas you don't go into on your own or late at night. The city centre is best avoided on foot at night. Gets taxis from a to b to be absolutely safe.

Don't be concerned overall on the security issue - but don't be stupid about it either. Cape Town is a wonderful place with magic food and lots to do - best holiday I've ever had!

Regards,

Barry

PMU
Unregistered User
Cape Town

I visited South Africa last December, and stayed in the waterfront Holiday Inn in Cape Town. Then I travelled around. Simply put, if you are on your guard, do not have expensive cameras, jewellery, etc. on view I’d say that downtown Cape Town (at least in daylight) is no more dangerous than downtown Dublin (at any time). But you do need to be on your guard. Ask in your hotel and they will update you on the security situation. There is a ‘hop-on hop-off’ bus that takes you around the main sites, and you can spend a good evening or two visiting the bars and restaurants along Long St. The Waterfront is a bit of a tourist ghetto but does have a very good aquarium. Many of the hotels run shuttle buses there. Hiring a car (be sure to tip the attendant when you have your tank filled) would be a good idea, as taxis are relatively expensive. If you do wish to visit a township I would strongly advise that you go with one of the companies listed in the Lonely Planet and do not go on your own. That being said I found Cape Town good fun for about two / three days so I would suggest that you hire a car and travel around. South Africa is a great place and I would definitely recommend it. Staying in Cape Town you will just miss so much, so travel around. Just be that little bit extra on your guard.

elderdog
You may not be thinking in terms of ...

Motor accidents with this question

But do be aware that the fatal motor accident stats for RSA make very grim reading.

eDog

Elcato
Violence in South Africa

www.geocities.com

Cahir
Re: Violence in South Africa

Waterfront was fine.

Didn't feel particularly safe in Capetown. Asked a family member to hold my bag one day while I put on more suncream. Then asked for my bag back and some little local kid who had been following screamed that he wasn't going to take my effing bag and a lot more abuse on top of that. Had to go into a shop to get rid of him. Gave me a bit of a fright.

Dr Moriarty

Same thing happened to me in Galway last year, Cahir...

Dr. M.

EvilDoctorK

Cape Town doesn't feel that secure yes i would agree ... all the "24hr Armed Response" signs etc. for sure show that there are problems.

However in having said this I've never had a problem there - though I would say I certainly am more careful when there than over here.

I certainly wouldn't let it put you off going there anyway.

Homer
Frequent poster
Hotels in Cape Town

I'm planning to go to South Africa for a week at end February.

I would welcome any suggestions as to hotels to stay in and the best way to book them. I've visited a number of websites and the variation in prices is astonishing.

Regards
Homer

Cahir
Re: Hotels in Cape Town

I stayed in a converted prison on the waterfront almost a year ago. Very good value for money but two rooms share a bathroom (it was ok for us as we were taking up two rooms). I think it cost 355Rand per room per night (€35 at the time). I can't think of the name of it at the moment but it'll come to me later and I'll post it then.

To be honest if I were you I wouldn't spend the entire time in Capetown - it's really touristy - you may as well be in Spain. We were there for 5 days of our holiday and I think that was more than enough. The wine regions are good and Hermanus is a good spot for Kyacking with whales & sharks!!

For a real African experience go to Namibia - was there in March 2002 and it was one of the best holiday experiences ever and even cheaper than South Africa (which is cheap enough itself).

Cahir

Ok the hotel was the Breakwater Lodge

[broken link removed]

beenThere
Unregistered User
Hotels in Cape Town

Check out www.portfoliocollection.com for a list of accommodation in South Aftica from the highest to the lowest. When I was there I rented a mobile phone at the airport and booked my accommodation as I went along. I think after 2 weeks the cost of rental and all my calls came to about 65 irish pounds. Well worth the money. The accommodation in these books is really good.

Homer
Frequent poster

Thanks for the replies

A friend suggested we should spend 4 days in Cape Town and 3 in Franschhoek. Does this sound like a good idea?

If we decide to try Namibia instead, what's the best way to get there?

Regards
Homer

Cahir

Franschoek is really nice but a bit quiet - my sister got married in a vineyard there last year! We all stayed at the vineyard - parents in a B&B type place and us young 'uns in a cottage on the grounds. Think it was called L'auberge or something like that. Will try to remember.

Namibia was more fun and we got there with Air France via Paris and Jo'burg. We booked through Usit as we're under 26 but you can also book through Clubtravel or Ray Tracey travel. We had hoped to fly with British Airways (through Heathrow & Jo'burg) but they were booked out. From Jo'burg you get a south african airways flight to the capital of Namibia, Windhoek. The total cost of the flights was around €750 each including taxes.

We then hired a car and drove from Windhoek to Swakopmund on the coast and spent most of the time there. Went to the only Namibian vineyard, a really brilliant lodge where we went on a proper African Safari (i.e. not the glossy touristy version), camping in a leopard park, camping at the foot of the Brandenburg mountain (think that's how it's spelt), sandboarding and quadbiking on the Namibian sand dunes, drinking beer that cost about 30c per bottle, went to a protected seal area where they go every year to have babies - amazing but very smelly!

A couple of downsides - the Namibian men are lecherous (aren't most men though!!!) and when you travel to the really poor small towns it can be quite intimidating.

Also, when we went quadbiking we saw Angelina Jolie making a movie and that evening we saw some of the other actors and crew in a restaurant. One of the actors was Irish but I always forget his name - don't think he's all that popular.

EvilDoctorK

Franschoek has great food and is in the heart of the winelands (it's probably a nicer place to stay than Stellenbosch or Paarl)... however apart from this there's not a lot to do there.. it's certainly worth a night or two but not much more unless you're really really into food and wine!

BillK
Frequent Poster
Re: Recommendations for a 'Garden route' itinerary

Arrived home on Saturday from a 3 week trip to South Africa.

Flew into Cape Town and picked up a hirecar and rented a cell phone. Rented the car from here in UK as generally, if you hire locally, the "free" mileage is very limited and I got unlimited mileage booking via Holiday Autos. Vodacom, which I used, and another telcom company have outlets in the same area as the carhire outlets.

Booked all accommodation myself using the Portfolio books - contact [email protected] We stayed at Green Gables in Strand which was excellent, in terms of comfort, cost and food. Our hosts, Marion & Gerry Arrow made us at home from day one. Check out www.greengables.co.za to see the rooms and suites available. Highly recommended!

Next stop was at Wilderness where we stayed at "Anchorage". Beautiful setting and comfortable, though smallish, rooms. A bit clinical after Green Gables which maybe coloured our views, but a great setting by the river with lots of birdlife to watch from the balcony. [broken link removed]
Went to Graaf Reinet for our next stop, to a hotel, The Drostdy, we have stayed at three times previously. Beautiful little town, though grown since we last saw it in 1998. Have to say that the suite we had there had gone down hill since our last stay being scheduled for refurbishment. Talked to the manager and presented him with a list of problems we had identified and after looking at the room with us he waived the accommodation charges some Rand 1680.

Grahamstown next where we stayed with Mary Birt at Petworth Place. Great place, great hostess but a little bit scatty as I had to point out that we had stayed for two nights rather than the one she was charging us for! ([broken link removed]) From there back to Wilderness and on to Strand.

Average cost of accommodation, on a B&B basis was R550 per couple per night. Drove a total of 2400 miles or thereabouts during the 3 weeks so was glad we had hired a Camry.

Back