New Phone Line Connection Required?

NiallP

Apologies if this has been posted before. I am just about to move into a house that is about 20 years old. There was formerly a phone line connected, but this line has been inactive for a few years. All that is left are the former wires.

I'm looking to get the line reconnected so that I can get Sky Digital. I am also intending to use Smart Telecoms phone service. Must I first go to Eircom to get the phone line connected, and then switch to Smart Telecom?

Alternatively, is there any way I can get around this by getting a broadband connection from a different company (i.e Smart Telecom)?

I'm not really tech-savvie, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

NiallP said:
I'm not really tech-savvie, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Wouldn't beat yourself over that one, this issue has very little to do with technical knowledge and more to do with Eircom causing headaches for the other providers. The current systems seem to have little to do with logic and more to do with increased retention of customers.

No idea with what the current situation is though, can't say I've had the pleasure/headache of changing/connecting.

If you want anything to come over a phone line into your house, whether it be Eircom Broadband, or any other service provider etc, you still need to have Eircom connect/install your phoneline.

Eircom are the only people who will install telephone lines into your house.

You'll have to call them in to get connected. Probably best to let on that you'll be using their services etc. They might work faster if they know they might make money off you.

Then, once you're connected, you'll need to go to whomever you wish for your other services, give them your eircom phone number and account number, and transfer across.

Was in same situation last November. Phone line physically in apartment but as far as Eircom were concerned there was no actual line. Try to find out the phone no. that was assigned to your house, apparently that should make it easier. If you can't then you're in the same boat as I was in and I had to pay the full charge for a "new Connection". Was connected in a few days from when I connected Eircom but I resented having to pay the full charge for a "New Connection" that as far as I was concerned wasn't really a new connection

Thanks for your help. Looks like it's going to have to be Eircom - i'll try and dig up that number

Back