Chicago

L

Lemurz

I'm planning to bring my Mrs to Chicago before Christmas as a surprise. Anybody got any ideas and know where I can get some good deals?

Lemurz - Aer Lingus appear to have €118 o/w fares to Chicago (non stop flight) fairly widely available in early/mid December - comes to €290 including tax for a non stop flight. You're not going to get a better price anywhere else

Chicago will be bloody freezing in December - are you sure ?

Chicago will be cold but well worth it - try get to Navy Pier (on Lake shore drive) and the John G Shedd aquarium is great, art ? - The Art Institute - you can't go wrong, Natural History ++ - The Natural History museum at Soldier Field (near the Aquarium), and if you have time (and I think you should make time) head south towards Comisky park to see the Science and Industry Museum. For Jazz - Head to The Green Mill in "Uptown", take a cab back as neighbourhood a bit dodgy - you'll get one outside the door - this is where Al Capone was reportedly shot. Loads to see and do - its a great city - Enjoy !

diner suggestion

As with all the above, Chicago is well worth the visit. There are many great places to see and things to do. A mind boggling choice of restaurants and bars.

One suggestion for some non formal eating which I really enjoyed is a classic American diner called Ed Debevic's. It is a retro 50's/60's style diner with a fantastic array of kitchy memorabilia decorating the place, but it is great fun. They do well what a lot of imitation diner style places in Ireland/UK try to do but fail. It is great for kids as there is so much going on. The staff are dressed in 50's attire and are famous for insulting the customers (done in a funny endearing sort of way). 'Whaddya want?', 'Don't got none' and 'You need a haircut' sort of stuff.
The food is good and tasty, but not spectacular and not the cheapest you will find. The milkshakes are massive and excellent.
It is very popular and so the downside is you often have to queue for a table. The place won't appeal to everyone, but really is a fun place to eat.

Back