AbbeyStone-Feltrim Rd. Swords

ShaneMc

Hi,

We have a deposit on a townhouse in Abbeystone. I was wondering if anyone had any feelings on this development. I have read previous posts about how bad the builders Albany are supposed to be but i was wondering what people thought of the location and the development itself. Thanks,

I went to look at these houses aswell, thought the area was ok, but very overpriced and location is not great.

Over priced...yes, but every time I purchase a new property in Swords that very thought goes through my mind, yet I am usually more surprised by the incredible capital appreciation in a very short space of time. Of course there are no guarantees that this will coninue, but if you look at the expansion of Swords recently and the possibility of the metro, this area must be considered to be a great investment opportunity. Well its worked for me so far.

New Slip Road off M1, Airside right beside, 2 mins into Swords. If Metro comes in any time soon it would be ideal. Silly money for what you get and blocks very close to each other. Still, bought in Gorse Hill a year ago (still waiting for walls to be put in) and have made money.

Prices seem to be incredibly expensive for this development. The first phase of Feltrim Hall less than two years ago was 249,950 for a two bed townhouse. They didn't exactly sell out overnight either. Now something similar in Abbeystone is almost 400,000 euro. Location is nothing great and if it was my money, I would look at more central, mature areas. Ex corporation houses within a three mile radius of the city centre can be bought for less than this and in my opinion, are a much better buy.

I had a look at them at the weekend.

While I feel the location is okay, I am stunned that such a big development was allowed go in so close to a motorway exit. I doubt if they will be any closer than 1km to a metro stop and currently I don't think the estate or Gorsehill are served by any public transport at all at the moment.

I thought they were very, very overpriced, particularly the entry level properties, and even allowing for that, I felt they were poorly designed and laid out. I didn't like them and even if I felt the price was fair, which I don't think it is, I wouldn't have bought them.

But not everyone agrees with me.

i know someone whos apartment there is nearly ready, there is no tile allowance and no tiles are provided, she was told to take it or leave it , " sure i can sell it on at a higher price if you dont want it" when she went to view it for her snag the place was like a tip, also these apartments are delayed delayed and delayed again.General bad reputation with these builders.

Calina said:
I felt they were poorly designed and laid out. I didn't like them. But not everyone agrees with me.

I completely agree with you. However, I don't think that anyone actually likes poorly designed and located developments such as this one. Many people I know just buy a property like this just to have somewhere. Unfortunately in a scenario such as this, the only winner is the developer.

budapest said:
I completely agree with you. However, I don't think that anyone actually likes poorly designed and located developments such as this one. Many people I know just buy a property like this just to have somewhere. Unfortunately in a scenario such as this, the only winner is the developer.

I was dragged up to look at these one day and was shocked at how much they were charging to live in a retail park.way way overpriced !

The quality appears to be lacking in this development when one looks at Boroimhe and how much they were on release. A definite lack of social infrastructure in the area too. This is classic National Spatial Strategy material.........high density along main routes, the M1 bought this developer a golden egg.

Agree with what has been said above. Will probably look like an extremely dreary development in a few years. However the Eastern Metro option envisages a route via Nevinstown (east of the Airside complex) to Swords. If this plan was adapted (probably unlikely) it would make the Feltrim Hall/Gorsehill/Abbeystone area more attractive. Better 2nd hand options in the general area would be Boroimhe or Drynam Hall.

I bought one of these last year. Still doens't look like it will be finished for another couple of months. Capital appreciation is very favourable.

I "wood" have thought the development should be called "Abbeywood", as it's appears to be a multi-storey timberframe development!

I previously purchased a timberframe semi. The noise insulation was terrible & there were no solid concrete party walls, which would scare the sh*t out of me in a shared multi-storey complex!

That said I like the location - near Swords, Malahide, M1, M50 & Airport, but there are no local amenities (shops, schools, etc.)

My sister bought a house in Albany's Swords previous development "Castleview" and the quality of workmanship was appaling, so buyer beware!

From an investment perspective, the prices in Swords are going nuts in the past few months, because the are no major developments in progress. My house has gone from 300k to 400k in the past 12 months. Gannon however has had 230 acres rezoned residential last year, so the party won't last, as there will be 5,000 new houses on the Ashbourne Road shortly.

Good look in your decision.

I originally put a deposit down on a 2 bed townhouse in February and was told it would be ready "just after summer". Now it is apparently After Xmas. Has anyone heard the same thing?
Not really too bothered for time as it gives me more time to save for the deposit rather than borrowing a little extra on top of the mortgage.

Might be silly question but how do u find out if a development is timber framed or not. is it something they have to say in brochure??

Have the builders planning permission for some facilities like a shop in this development? The nearest shop on foot would be the Spar on the road into Swords, which would be a good 20 mins away, not to mention the bus route. We looked at them too, more out of cuiosity than anything else, the place seemed like a warren and I got lost driving around. It also seems to have very few green spaces. I live in another Alabny Homes development in Castleview, be prepared for the fact that the spec on their homes is terrible, no tiling, the taps for example I replaced in 12 months. Structurally, the walls are plasterboard so forget about having the flat screen TV on the wall and pray that like me that you have quiet neighbours! Also there are very few plug points in each room. Its these small things that you only notice when you have been living there for a while.

Try It is a friendly discussion forum for neighbours, future neighbours and people looking at the estate to buy to find out what the estate is like and keep in touch. It gives updates on events, services, problems and solutions

Abbeystone scares me a bit, I must say. There seems to be 100's of homes, but no shops, schools, playgrounds even decent bus routes. And seeing a huge development made of wood also puts me thinking....

I "wood" have thought the development should be called "Abbeywood", as it's appears to be a multi-storey timberframe development!

just so you know -the apartments and duplex's are timber frame but the houses are conrete built,

i bought a 3 bed, 2 years ago, am living here a year now, and i think its great, and getting better, the pavilions when its finished will be great, with its cinemas, and loadsa shops etc, the airside park is great for stuff for the home, swords village is great for a night out (and only 5 yoyo for a taxi home) theres plenty of industrial parks around if you want a job nearer to home, what more could you ask for....

fair enough, had a bit of bother, when i was waiting for the house to be finished, but it only went 5 months over and no house in any new estate is ever on time

Back