Key Post: Dubai

B

Baz

Thinking of going to Dubai for a week in Jan. Anyone been before? Verdict? Comments?

Thanks

Re: dubai

Dept of For Affairs have no advice for travel here, but the UK and Aus sites advise against travel to to dubai. I was wondering about this as part of a honeymoon itinerary but this has made me think twice. Did see one of the hotels on one of this holiday swap programs and i thought it looked the 'poodles privates'.

foreignaffairs.gov.ie/

www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1007029390590&a=KCountryAdvice&aid=1013618386775

[broken link removed]

I was there in July. Very very hot.

We stayed on jumeriah beach, in sheraton. Nice hotel and lovely private beach, swimming pool and pool bar.

We stayed in Dubia fr last 2 nights. Walked around gold suks and markets.

Some of the buildings are amazing on the way to jumeriah. Including the burj al arab. City is nothign special.

Any specific questions post them here and I will answer as best i can.

Hi spent a week there last January with my friend who lives there. Great city and great fun. Eating out is really cheap - every night at least one hotel is doing an all you can eat and drink deal - you can stay for about 4 hours and it only costs €25-€30!!! Brilliant value and the food and service are excellent.

Would really recommend going to wild wadi as well if you like water parks - great fun. You can also hire a car and drive to Fujerah on the onther side of UAE for really good diving.

Didn't find the clothes markets great as there were all selling the same stuff. The global village is also good to go to.

Any questions let me know

Some other posts

carriehair
Dubai

Hi,

I am planning a one week holiday in mid September and am strongly thinking of Dubai? Can anyone offer any information on this destination? All opinions welcomed.

Thanks
Cari

Hugh
Dubai

It was 39C today, 41C tomorrow and 42C Monday. Some like it that hot but I'd prefer the cooler winter months.

decbuck
Re: Dubai

Do you know where you are staying?

I went for 5 days last month.

You can stay downtown dubai or out on jumeriah beach. Loads of hotels in both places.

Are you going to go with a package deal or organise something yourself?

carriehair
Dubai

I am looking at a package holiday to Jumeriah Beach -Jebel Ali Hotel. Flights no problem but accommodation is proving difficult. There seems to be huge price variations between hotels given that they are all 5 star.

Any Suggestions?

decbuck

Don't understand. Does the package holiday not include the hotel?

If you are booking alone, then who are you pricing flights with?

If you don' mind me asking how much will you spend?

We stayed in Sheraton which is 5 star as they all are. But it is at bottom ot Jumeriah Beach. Hard Rock is close. But you won't get even a shop nearby. Taxi journey everywhere. Loads of buliding going on.

But it's beside Hilton, Le Meridien so all the same boat.

the Sheraton has lovely pool, private beach, you get towels at pool, swim up bar. it only costs 85 euros a night.

We stayed downtown last night walked arouns souks etc...

carriehair
Dubai

Yes , we are booking a package deal but the hotel part is actually by request, in other words you pick a hotel from the brochure and then the agent checks for availability.. a bit unusual I know.
Right now we are looking at Le Meridien on Jumeirah Beach. Wont know for definite until tommorrow!

decbuck

Would you not think of booking it yourself. We flew with emirates from london, but flew ryanair over.

Booked hotel direct on their website. Deffinitely save money. Ended costing about 500-600 for flights. And hotel was 85 a night.

From when were pricing it, it would have cost us about 400 - 500 more each.

Le Meridien looked like a nice hotel. At end of Jumeriah and about 10kms from the Burj Al Arab. It is about 35 kms from airport, and taxi will cost about 75 dirhams, about 30 euro from what I can remember. The hard rock is very close, but you will probably still need to get a taxi because basiclaly it is a building site.

We stayed downtown for last night. Really good place called Irish Village that serves drink. No pubs in Dubai, but all the hotels sell drink, although it can be expensive.

Sol
Dubai

I'm going to Dubai in August and although it looks amazing in the brochures, i can't shake off the feeling that it may be unsafe due to all the unrest in the middle East.
Has anybody been there or know more about the place.
I would appreciate any advise or comments.....

Buckshee
Dubai

Never been before but I'm going in August myself for 12 days. Its a place my wife has long wanted to visit and I'm certainly no expert and I too would appreciate any advice / feedback.

However it does appear that none of the goings on in the middle east in recent years seem to involve the emirates in any way. Thats the perception I have anyway ( hope I'm right )

Tony Soprano
Dubai

Was there a couple of years ago post 9/11. No probs whatsoever & felt very safe.

Travel fan
Dubai

No disrespect intended but can anyone enlighten me as to the attraction of this place.
It seems just a custom-built, bling-bling, souless spot. Any programmes I've seen on it seem to only concentrate on the shopping.
Is there any history, culture or charm to the place?
Just wondering...

Slim

Dubai is a commercial hub for the MIddle East/Southeast Asia. It has a relatively small indigeneous Arab population and relies heavily on Indian/Philipino labour. Despite popular beliefs, it is not an oil state such as Saudi but it relies on a mixture of oil revenue and commerce.

It is reknowned as a safe place to visit, most crime is perpetrated by foreigners, but the judicial system is harsh. Don't mess with anyone when you are there. It is not a dry regime but public drunkenness is frowned upon. Locals are not permitted to buy alcohol.

The people are very hospitable and courteous. You will meet ex-pats from all over the world especially from Palestine and other Arab cultures. If you extend them some courtesy and hospitality, you find it returned manyfold. There is some sensitivity over the Israeli issue but otherwise, no real problem. I do not know what effect the recent Iraq situation has had on the Dubai area.

There is a lot to see and do in Dubai. It has easy access to huge deserts and the 4X4 safaris, horse racing, camel racing, Bedouin barbeques, while a bit cheesy, are an interesting glimpse into the desert life. There is more to Dubai than shopping but the splendour of the hotels and golf courses will catch your eye. Gold is great value in the souks(markets). However, it tends to be purer than here and accordingly softer. It is usually sold by weight. Haggling is customary but you will not be hassled. You will find tailors who will knock you up a suit before you leave for good value. Other consumer goods are good value.

Enjoy the visit.

Slim

Buckshee
Dubai

Thanks Slim

PS- Travel Fan in relation to your query please see Slims post

Lookin forward to it

[broken link removed]

Newspaper article on Dubai

Not a great compliment to the place!

A desert kingdom where too much is never enough

Good taste is as scarce as rainfall, and the atmosphere is like soup.

Yet we Brits can't get enough of this deluxe sandpit, reports Lynn Barber

Sunday October 24, 2004
The Observer

Burj Al Arab hotel, Dubai

Winter sun ... Jumeirah beach and the Burj Al Arab hotel

Imagine an expanse of dusty desert beside a greasy sea, sweltering under a pitiless sun. Now cover it with six-lane highways, flyovers, spaghetti junctions and all the nastiest buildings you have ever seen. Think Birmingham without its beauty, Las Vegas without its culture. Dubai is unquestionably the ugliest city in the world - there should be a socking great sign at the airport saying 'Abandon all taste, ye who enter re.'

And yet it is the third most popular long-haul destination (after Barbados and Mauritius) for British Airways Holidays. Why?
Well, first, if you forget good taste, there is astonishing luxury to be had. I stayed at the Al Qasr, a new five-star hotel on Jumeirah Beach, which is described as 'the Venice of Arabia' because it has a couple of canals running through the gardens. (You soon get used to this level of hyperbole in Dubai - almost every building claims to be the eighth wonder of the world.) The first thing you see as you turn into the drive is a life-size herd of shiny gold plastic horses gambolling on the lurid lawns. But you don't have to look at them for long because dozens of staff come rushing out of the hotel to greet you like a long-lost cousin and offer you sweets and Arabic coffee. The welcome is so warm that you can forgive the gruesome chandeliers and eye-grazing carpets in the lobby, though going to your room provides another shock - someone has gone to an immense amount of trouble to make it look exactly like a Sixties' Indian restaurant. But it is a very large room, with a supremely comfortable bed and well-equipped bathroom. In the end I almost became fond of it, though I did wake up every morning thinking, why maroon and orange stripes? And why those giant tassles on the television cabinet? It is a pity the design is so hideous because in all other respects the Al Qasr is a superb hotel - the food is delicious, the staff friendly, the service impeccable and it has a state-of-the-art spa called the Six Senses, which you reach rather charmingly by abra (boat) along the canal. It also has a delicious chilled swimming pool, which you do need in the Dubai climate. The climate is Dubai's elephant in the room - nobody mentions it. The brochures talk of guaranteed winter sun and no rain and that is certainly true - the last measurable rainfall was in 1997 when it rained for a whole night. There have been one or two showers since then but you can safely forget your umbrella when packing for Dubai. And it's true that the sun's reliable, too - boiling sun, implacable sun, sun that will fry you if you go on the beach at midday. Even the locals admit that Dubai is intolerable in July and August. I thought it was pretty intolerable when I went in September - the temperature seldom fell below the high 30s, even at night, and walking outside was like wading through soup. Despite being a desert country, it somehow manages to be humid as well. Apparently, British tourists like Dubai (and went on going there right through the 1991 Gulf war) because, as the PR memorably explains, 'People don't associate it with the Middle East.' It doesn't feel like a Muslim country. You can drink alcohol even during Ramadan. The Dubaians, of course, look Arabic, in their immaculate white dish-dashes, but they account for only 18 per cent of the population - the rest are expats from all over Europe, India, Bangladesh, the Philippines, whose common language is English. It is also a very safe country, with no theft or mugging, and nobody ever hassles you in the street.
Dubai's main attraction is supposed to be its fabulous shopping, but I couldn't find anything I wanted to buy. There are loads of huge shopping malls with all the same shops as Brent Cross - Ikea, Next, Gap, Debenhams - with marginally cheaper prices. But you surely don't fly eight hours to get £3 off a skirt? The 'bargain' area, Karama, is more exciting if you crave fake watches and fake Louis Vuitton, Prada, Gucci, and Burberry handbags at dirt cheap prices. But can't you get those in Essex? So what do you do in Dubai apart from shopping? Well first you have to see Burj Al Arab, which is Dubai's own Leaning Tower of Pisa - its silhouette appears on all the car number plates. It is, one might have guessed, a hotel, where the smallest suites cost £1,000 a night and guests are transported by a fleet of white Rolls-Royces. Designed by British architect W. S. Atkins, it is shaped like a sail and has a helicopter pad on top, where Tiger Woods was filmed hitting golf balls into the sea. The outside is great but the inside is like a bad acid trip. The style can best be described as Puff Daddy crossed with Wurlitzer jukebox, plus copious fish and waterfalls. The Royal Suite features a revolving bed and wall-to-wall leopardskin - apparently, the rapper 50 Cent stayed there the other week and loved it.
'Historic' Dubai does not take long to see. The oldest building is a tiny fort like a child's sandcastle, which dates from the l8th century and houses the Dubai Museum. Then there is Sheikh Saeed's house, built in 1896, and a few Persian windtower houses built in the early 20th century. That's about it for historic buildings. Someone pointed out to me the Hard Rock Cafe, a squat unimpressive block overshadowed by skyscrapers, and said it used to be a great landmark - you could see it from miles away as you drove down from Abu Dhabi, and it marked the end of the desert and the beginning of town. But that was all of eight years ago, and the city has engulfed it since then. What is truly sensational about Dubai is the speed at which it is growing. You could go away for a week and return to find a 20-storey skyscraper outside your window. Housing estates and shopping malls arrive like flying ants. Sheikh Mohammed Al Maktoum, the Crown Prince, has decreed that by the time the oil runs out Dubai will be the financial and commercial centre for the whole Middle East. Three years ago he changed the law to allow foreigners to buy property and establish residency - hence the rush for real estate. Everywhere you go you see architects' drawings and models of the next new thing - the world's biggest shopping mall, the world's tallest skyscraper, the world's biggest maze. One of the new housing estates, International City, promises 'a recreation of the Forbidden City that will transport the magic of Chinese culture to the desert' - with parking for 2,000 cars.
The Dubai coastline is already almost totally built up, so now they are building artificial islands out into the Gulf, which will add 120 kilometres to the Dubai shoreline. The first of these, the Palm, is already visible: a man-made structure in the shape of a palm tree, it will have apartment blocks and hotels along the stem and private beachfront villas on the fronds (one of which David Beckham has acquired). Like everything in
Dubai, it has been built at incredible speed - land reclamation started in December 2001 and finished in November 2003; now they are building a 10-lane bridge to the trunk, and the first houses are already going up. All the apartment blocks sold out in the first three hours. Work has already started on a second Palm, which will be 40 per cent larger than the first, and there's also the World, consisting of 300 islands in the shape of different countries, which will be completed by 2008. Seventy islands have already been sold - someone bought Australia on the very first day. Owners can build what they like on their islands, or not build at all. The promotional video bizarrely shows people trekking through a rainforest and emerging on to a broad savannah with a herd of wildebeest stampeding by. Would anyone be mad enough to create a
rainforest on a man-made island in the Gulf with no rain at all? Well, maybe in Dubai.

10 things you might not know

Some Emirati men greet each other by touching noses and clicking their tongues while shaking hands - it's not recommended for foreigners to try this.

A popular traditional instrument of Dubai, the manior, is a cotton belt decorated with dried goats' hooves, while the tamboura is a harp-like instrument featuring five strings, plucked with sheep horns.

The Bedouin used to catch falcons by burying a 'volunteer' in the sand with only their head and an arm sticking out. They were covered with a bush with a live pigeon tied to it, then when the falcon was close enough, they had to grab it.

As recently as 1952 there weren't any schools, and even today only primary education is compulsory.

Women make up more than 40 per cent of the workforce, and in universities females outnumber males by three to one.

If you run over a camel you must reimburse the owner for their loss.

A decree was passed in 1993 banning children from the popular sport of camel racing, but children from India and Pakistan as young as eight years old are still used, albeit illegally, because they are so light.

Dubai has a huge problem with people dumping rubbish on the streets, and generates one of the highest volumes of waste per capita in the world.

Population estimates are around 1.1 million, of which only 220,000 are Emiratis, the rest are expat.

There are no political parties or elections, the royal Al Maktoum family rules, currently Sheikh Maktoum bin Rashid Al Maktoum is in power, supported by his two brothers.

Back