Key Post: New Zealand Holiday.

G

gweebarra

Am going to New Zealand on honeymoon at the beginning of April, and would really appreciate any advice /suggestions on where to go, and where to avoid.

As much as possible, I want to avoid spending too much time in the rental car, but apart from that we are very flexible. I know that some of the drives may be long but I want to avid that every day.

Effectively, we have 7/8 days in the South Island, and 4/5 days in the North Island (internal flight between Auckland and Christchurch).

Would really apprecite any ideas of where to go/where to stay/ what to do/where to eat etc.

Any idea if it will still be warmish at that time?

NZ

Q. Any idea if it will still be warmish at that time?

A. I think you'll be arriving about a month or two before their winter, which on the north island is a fair bit more miserable than an Irish winter! Most houses on the north island don't have central heating systems (presuming hotels do though).

NZ

If you are an adventurous type then head to Queenstown on the South Island, lots of white water rafting, climbing end other things like that.

On the scenery side of things, Milford Sound is well worth a look. It is close to Queesntown and is a natural fijord with 6000 feet mountains right down to the sea. You could also have a helicopter tour around Mt Cook.

Re: NZ

Also have a look at Kare Kare beach where they shot The Piano. It's been the inspiration for a few musicians as well.

They shot Lord of the Rings out there (somewhere in NZ) if I'm not mistaken.

Te Awamutu sports a giant wooden McDonald's M and is supposedly famous (a contradicion?) for its rose gardens.

If you get to Rotarua, the slightly-touristy thermal town (boiling mud & hot springs), have a 'massage au bain' (under a stream of thermal water) and go for dinner to [broken link removed] - the best view in the world!

South Island - Wellington is a nice city - spent a week there and just really liked the place.
Cloudy Bay vineyard - very happy if somewhat hazy memories of a glorious afternoon wine tasting
Kaikoura - whale watching - very touristy but wonderful
Abel Tasman park - terrific boat trip up the coast and a 6-7 hour trek back down to a bus pickup.
Franz Josef Glacier - hobnail hike up the glacier

NZ is terrific - the people are extraordinarily pleasant, climate is great and its a paradise if you like the outdoors.

mf

hols in Auckland

Hi,

Just on the topic of new-zealand, I am planning a trip to Auckland beginning of September 2003. Thing is I am planning to bring my (then) 3 yr old with me, anyone any advice for me??? Or am I just totally mad?

Plan at the moment is to go for 2 weeks (possibly 3 depending on leave from work...), a friend is getting married (which is the reason for heading over), and then ???? not really sure. There will just be myself and my little fella travelling over, so if anyone has suggestions of what to see/ what not to see or do, i would really appreciate it!

Thanks

Re: hols in Auckland

Holliers
Bring a 3-yr ion a long haul is tiresome

I`ve brought my daughter from Japan to Ireland
a few times
Next few months , dragging new born baby as well ;->

Ask the Airline for the extra space in front of the
TV screen ...
When he/she is tired , you can get the kid to sleep
in front of your feet on the ground using the blankets
as matress

Sleeping on a seat for a 3 yr old is uncomfortable
& won`t work
Also before going ring the airline & book the seat
if possible
WHEN CHECKING IN , CONFIRM THAT YOU GOT THIS
SEAT ......sometimes they make mistakes as I`ve well
and truely learned the hard way

Also be care on your transfer point ...Singapore is
having problems with SARS

Bring also a lot of books/toys

Some airlines (Air NZ and Qantas definitely) don't allow children to sleep on the floor. Silly rule, but there you have it.

JAL do allow them to sleep on the floor, however the good fares that JAL have to NZ include one leg (from Japan to NZ) flown by Air NZ.

z

What to see and do depends on where you're going to be.

However, in general NZ is particularly excellent for young kids. The facilities in the smallest little town are generally great. There are playgrounds everywhere and they are well maintained. Public swimming pools don't charge for parents accompanying kids so a great swim in a huge pool with water slides and wave machines and other cool stuff costs all of EUR1.50 or so.

It's probably fair to say that at 3 years old your youngster won't be in a position to make the most of the particular NZ activities like bungie jumping and tandem parachuting and stuff. As a result, I would suggest just having a relaxing time while here rather than trying to do very-NZ things as your child probably won't be able to do many of them

Hmm, on second thoughts if you are in the North Island try Rotorua which while *full* of tour buses is actually a nice place. There are thermal baths, mud pools, geysers, etc . . . and it is the best place to get some authentic(ish) Maori culture.

Also worth a visit is the Waitomo Glow worm caves. Supposedly not open to people under 5, you can apparently get in alright. Involves a boat ride in a dark cave (hence risk to young kids) to see worms suspended from the cave with glowing rear-ends.

If in the South Island try to get to see the glaciers. It's pretty amazing to see a *huge* big glacier ending up about 1 or 2KM from the sea in the middle of a temperate rain forest. It's a mixture you don't get anywhere else in the world. Apparently. Most other glaciers are either up in alps or else in very cold places coming down to the sea. You can just do the easy walk up without the need for the whole tramp. We did the easy walk with our 3 year old and he loved it. The scale (of the glacier and thew valley and run off rivers) is something you can only imagine.

Cheers,

z

Thanks so much for all the info & advice, will keep it all in mind.

Keep in touch..............

By visiting

to pick up local news, weather & current affairs

Some other posts

Odea
New Zealand.

Might head down there in Feb/Mar. If anyone has been there I would appreciate suggestions as to where I might stay. I am not in to bungee jumping or white water rafting but I like nice scenery, quaint towns, cafe culture, wineries etc

rainyday
Re: New Zealand.

nice scenery, quaint towns, cafe culture, wineries

Found quite a lot of this stuff on the east coast of the North Ireland - Hastings/Napier/Hawkes Bay territory. Do spend a day or two in Rotarua - a little bit touristy but very enjoyable.

Lisa
re: New Zealand

If you like Cafe Culture then Wellington is the place to go. Lovely city (except for the weather!) with lots of little cafes and restaurants to choose from.

The scenery is spectacular in New Zealand, particularly on the South Island. The drive from Picton to Christchurch takes you along the Coast Road and it's stunning. I don't think I've ever seen water quite so blue! Didn't make it to Queenstown or Milford Sound but I hear that they are hard to beat in terms of stunning scenery.

There is so much to do and see in New Zealand. I hope you have a fantastic trip.

zag
Administrator
Re: re: New Zealand

Went to Milford Sound, but it seemed relatively over-rated compared to other parts of NZ.

It is pretty amazing, but so is lots of NZ. The problem with Milford Sound is that it is something like a 2 hour bus drive to get there from *anywhere* and the same back in the same direction since it is at the end of a very long road that finishes in Milford Sound. Worth a visit, but not worth 4 hours drive involved.

Wellington city itself is reasonably cafe oriented, but if you head up the (very steep) hills that it backs on to you will find plenty of little 'villages' with boutiques/galleries/cafes.

A general rule of thumb is that the further south you go in NZ, the less developed/sophisticated the country is. If you are looking for wilderness head south, if you are looking for 'culture' head north.

z

Odea
Which way?

When travelling down to New Zealand where is the best place to stop to break the journey, alternatively which is the best route to take to get there?

PMU
Which way?

Odea: I’m off to NZ in the autumn and my travel agent advised that I fly direct to NZ. If you break the journey en route (e.g. at Hong Kong, Singapore or KL) you are jet lagged when you get there and will not be in fit state to appreciate it. So travel to NZ directly (you will be jet lagged when you arrive anyway, stop off or not) and then stop off somewhere on the way back. That way you are not so jet lagged as to be too tired to enjoy the stop off point. As to where to stop off, I’m flying with Air Singapore and they have some good deals on Singapore stop-offs. Other airlines may have good deals on other stop-off points.

rainyday
Re: Which way?

You can also stop off in LA for a few days if you fly with Air NZ from Heathrow.

potblack
Flights

Heading there in December. Flights directly from Dublin to LA with Aer Lingus and then on to NZ with Quantas.

Nothing like going direct. The waiting around in London is appalling, as is the airside transfer for Irish Travellers. You would be half way to LA by the time you would board a plane in London.

Grizzly
Car Ferry

Can you get a car ferry from Wellington to Picton. North Island to South Island? Anybody ever tried it?

Lisa
Wellington Car Ferry

yes, you can get a car ferry from Wellingon to Picton. It takes just over 3 hours to get from the North Island to the South Island and the scenery as you sail into Picton, through the Marlborough sounds, is beautiful.

But be warned, if the weather is in any way bad (and they don't call it windy Wellington for nothing!) the car ferry will not sail. We waited 3 days in Wellington before we eventually got on.

Back