Key Post: Self-catering in Ireland

R

rainyday

Any recommendations for a nice self-catering house/cottage/apartment in Clare/Galway. There are plenty of options advertised on the web, but it is always a gamble without a personal recommendation. Trident have some nice ones at the upper end of the price scale, but I'd really prefer to spend my money with an independent operator (provided I can be assured of good quality). There is just the two of us plus the baby, so comfort & luxury is more important than size.

Re: Nice self-catering house/cottage/apartment in Clare/Galw

I stayed in [broken link removed] in Liscannor, Co Clare, two years ago. Excellent property in great location. I got it from the Bord Failte guide.

Rainyday,

I recall a few years back reading about apartments tied into one of the colleges in Galway City that are rented during the summer months when students are away and they looked quite nice. I will have a think about it and see if I have the brochure here. My commission is small! A few pics of the baby might suffice. ;)

Corrib Village

This is the university accomadation in Galway. I stayed there a couple of years ago and it was fine. Basic accomadation, very functional but very well presented and well located.

Sorry Rainyday - still cannot get the hang of links to websites.

[Edited by Marion to fix the link. Potblack, check out this

Hi Rainyday,

See potblack beat me to it. Came across this link also [broken link removed]. When I look at it they do not appear to have any cooking facilities so may not be suitable for family needs.

Try ireland west holiday homes

I've sucessfully used these in the past. Galway tends to be one of the dearer parts of the country for self catering. There is a similar site for Clare but I don't know the name.

What size (no of bedrooms) are you looking for?

Nogser

Hi Nogser - 1-bed would be fine, though it would need to be a fairly spacious 1-bed. Most of the options available seem to be 2-bed or 3-bed.

The 3 bed house seems to be about 95% of what is available. This is the Failte Ireland site for [broken link removed] self catering.

I would stay away from Kilkee and Lahinch. They have been mobbed by Limerick day trippers when I've been there during the summer. Kilkee particularly is overrun with holiday homes.

If the trawling through the pages is to much you could ring them. I have found the tourist boards most helpful in the past.

Nogser

Re: Corrib Village

I remembered them having a kitchen and checked the website again. This is a description from the website

Each apartment has a kitchen, equipped with crockery, cutlery and cooking utensils, a bathroom and a cloakroom. The living room/dining area is comfortable, complete with all-channel television. Each Standard Apartment contains one twin bedroom and two single rooms and one double room, with freshly laundered linen and duvets and plenty of storage space.

Some other posts

bluebean
Self catering (short term) in Ireland

Hi there,

Does anyone know if there is a particular website that would deal with self catering lets for less than a week at a time? Preferably in either the South East or the South West of Ireland?
I can't go for a week, but all of the rentals seem to be for 7 days, Saturday to Saturday. I was hoping to get somewhere from maybe a Friday to a Tuesday.

Thanks in advance.

Brynick
Re: Self catering (short term) in Ireland

Try this site
They do midweek breaks however as far as I know for the months of July & August it's only week lettings. Sure give it a shot.

endowed
Re: Self catering (short term) in Ireland

Hi bluebean,

Haven't checked these out in detail meself but have you tried

Home from Home Holidays (in West Cork)
or
Self Catering Ireland?

bluebean
re: websites

Cheers Brynick + Endowed - plenty there to keep me busy surfing for a while!

thanks.

Phatboy Skin
Holiday House Rental Cork / Kerry

Does anyone know any cheap holiday house which I can rent for a week in Co.Cork or Kerry?

I do not mind where it is located, as I just want to rent somewhere I can use to crash at night while I have a well earned holiday.

So, the cheaper the better.

barrycondon
Re: Holiday House Rental Cork / Kerry

Hi Guys,

I know a lady who rents out her cottage near Kells, Co. Kerry, Views overlooking Dingle Bay.

Her website address is [broken link removed]
Her name is Maureen Cahill

Kind Regards,
Barry

Back