Shankill in Co. Dublin

DeBarr

Hi

I was just wondering what Shankill in Co. Dublin is like to live in. It seems like a good propect for someone working in the city centre.... Any thoughts?

Thanks

Hey

I live in Shankill now for the past year and i find it great. In saying that it depends what area of shankill you are thinking of moving too???

Hi,

Shankill is fine in many regards - close proximity to the beach, major park at Tyrels land, Golf courses, Hill walks etc.

At night there is really only one pub to go to - in the village. Not too keen on the place myself but it's always full. The chinese restaurant above it has an excellent reputation.

I commuted for many years from Shankill to the city center - 35 mins by dart or 50 mins+ by bus (45/84/145).

As the previous poster stated it all depends on which area you are intending to buy in (any ideas?) and what your interests are (pubbing/clubbing or more sedate life).

Thanks for the replies guys.

It's the more sedate life for us these days.... kids tend to keep us quiet.. Basically at weekends we spend most of our time just hanging out with the little ones. I've driven around the area a few times to get a feel for the place (both weekdays and weekends) and liked it. The Corbawn area is particularly interesting. It looks like a good spot for kids (lots of open space, beach, parkland) which is a major factor for us. It doesn't look too built up either and doesn't really feel like you are near the city (although I wonder how long that will last). What are your thoughts on this estate/area?

I also like the proximity of Shankill to the Wicklow hills, Powerscourt etc for walks and stuff so I guess I'm definitley sold on the amenities plus the commute is good (straight to Tara Street Dart)

So is Corbawn a good area?

Is Corbawn off the Quinns Road? Just want to make sure i have the right place in mind....

IMO and without meaning to sound bad to anyone who lives there as I myself am a Shankiller!! Anything to the left of the shopping centre & church going towards Bray is nice. Sometimes there can be trouble in the estates down by the trainstation...there was someone murdered there around christmas i believe!

Hi Lyndan

Thanks for the feedback! Corbawn estate is on the right at the very end of Corbawn Lane (I think) which is the road that goes down to the sea from the roundabout at the Garda Station. The estate winds all the way around towards the end of Quinns Road where the tennis club is. It seems very open (i.e. no gates on the drives etc) and it overlooks the sea... seems quiet and settled.

I've heard there are some dodgy areas about ok (murder - yikes?) but I guess you get dodgy crews in all areas of the city these days. Does Corbawn stack up?

Thanks

Hey,

Yep its a really nice area i think, i live not too far from there. I did believe the murder was at Shankill train station....however i just googled it and it was actually a stabbing which left a 19 year old in critical condition, a bit different but scary none the less.

Its like everywhere i suppose, once you arent going to let your kids run riot around the place and be out at all hours you can keep them safe.

nice pub in the village, late night opening chemist, barber shop, credit union, video shop, nice chipper, near a dart station. Good schools in the area - Johnstown in Killiney is a great school

good luck!

Based on one woman I know who bought in Shankill a few years ago (and is still there), most of it is lovely. Is there some subsidance near the river?

Thanks a million for the input folks. I've also talked to other people in work who live in or near the area and they've given it the thumbs up.
Thanks again....

Shankill

Am a FTB looking at Shankill... One of the previous post mentions something about the estates around the train station being a bit dodge.... so I'm wondering:

- Is this rathshallagh or Eatonwood or both?

- How bad is it?

Cheers,

GG

Re: Shankill

Don't live in Shankill but I think its improved a lot in the last 10 years.
If you're not buying in the middle of an obviously dodgy estate go for it.

Eaton Wood is a nice estate in my opinion, and Shankill in general is a great place - good public transport, good roads, no major traffic problems, good primary schools, nice pub and restaurant, and near to Dalkey, Dun Laoghaire and Bray for more restaurants and pubs. And right beside the sea too - you can see it from some parts of eaton wood.

I lived in Shankill for three years. It is a really great place to live you have excellent public transport (Dart) terrific amenities Wicklow Mountains the sea, good shops and a really nice village atmosphere.

The estate you are referring to is Rathsalla, I think its reputation is undeserved we never had any trouble but we did not live in that estate and never had a reason to go into it, the dart station is on the periphery of the estate. There is also a strong police presence in Shankill due to the large station there.

Still go back to Shankill quite a bit due to the sea and the parks only drawback is it is getting a bit overdeveloped IMO but other then that could not speak highly enough of the area.

If you can get a house in Castlefarm pay the extra as its a great place to bring up kids.

Hi,

I've lived in Castle Farm in Shankill for the last 14 years and love it. The whole surrounding area has been widely developed during that time but from where we are you really don't notice. It's a great place to bring up kids and if you are in Castle Farm you are in the catchment area for the better of the two primary schools which is St Anne's at the far end of the village.

Hope this helps.

Nellie

two friend of mine both recently purchased in Olcovar by Tudor homes. high quality finish apartments. park across the road. very close to M50 via Bray North slip road for driving- albeit somewhat slowly at times.

I have lived in Shankill for the past 20 years in three different areas; Brookdene, Rathmichael and now Castle Farm. I have reared 3 children with no problems whatsoever. The schools are excellent. The public transport is good. Castle Farm is great as its only a 15 minute walk to the dart and is right on the bus route (84/145/45/7N) There is a park beside us which does need playground facilities but has tons of space for getting out. It's also right beside the M50 ( I can get to my drive from Dundrum Shopping Centre in 12 minutes flat!!) Reading this I should be paid by the local authorities for my PR skills...
There are the usual 'dodgy young elements' to deal with but you get them everywhere. The kids in this estate are great and I have never had any problems at all. If you are interested in the area and can afford it, go for it. Castle Farm, Eaton Wood, Clanmayr (pardon the spelling) are all good areas. If you want an apartment Olcovar which is opposite Castle Farm is good. The apartments are excellent quality if a bit small.
The negative is the proposed development on the land that was Shanganagh Castle..it was previously a juvenile centre and is right beside Castle Farm. The House itself is up for sale seperately. Dunlaoghaire Rathdown Co. Council have purchased the surrounding land. There is a public right of way on the driveway which I am told leads to the beach. The potential to develop large amounts of housing has me on my toes. The traffic is not great through the village at peak times and this will not help at all. Also, they are trying to bring the LUAS through the village and park but there is HUGE opposition to this. I would guess it will end up following the route of the M50 which will be a bonus to the area without interfering with the village life. Hope this helps!

hi,
\
ive lived in shankill for 30 years, born and rared and its a wonderful place to live.

theres so many new places now going up, eg olcovar etc. i lived down quinns road myself. my parents still do. most of the people living in my parents estate have been there since the 70's.

Rathsallagh and eatonwood are two different areas. but the way they are situated only 5min walk between them. Eaton wood are private houses, rathsallagh council.

like anywhere there are areas in rathsallagh that arent nice, but there is also really lovely people living there and have done so for nearly 40 years now.

shankill train station is in rathsallagh, but i never had a problem walking from it to my house ever, and would have done so every night coming home from work in the winter evenings too. Yes you do hear of the odd mugging or whatever, but i think that will happen even in the best of places.

theres two pubs, one in the village and one in the shopping centre.

if you need anymore info feel free to ask no worries.

Am a FTB looking at Shankill... One of the previous post mentions something about the estates around the train station being a bit dodge.... so I'm wondering:

- Is this rathshallagh or Eatonwood or both?

- How bad is it?

Cheers,

GG

I'm living in Olcovar since the beginning of the year and LOVE it. I had rented in castlefarm before so was eager to come back to shankill.
Shankill is a great village and has everything you could want. Eaton wood is a gorgeous estate and would love to live there. I have friends that live in Ratsallagh and they have no problems at all. Like everywhere, there are places that you wouldnt walk through on your own at night but for a village as a whole, its the once place I have lived that I felt really safe.
If you are thinking of Shankill I would say go for it! :D

Back