Key Post: Advice on Scandinavia and Russia.

R

Rex22

I am hoping to visit Scandinavia and Russia on holiday next year.
Could anybody tell me the best time of the year to visit or times to avoid. Any advice on visas, flights and top attractions would be appreciated!
Thanks.

Russia

I spent several week travelling by train and bus through Kazakstan, Uzbekistan etc and Russia/Belorus during the months of November and December 2000. The weather was not as bad as I feared. It was cold but not anything worse than a cold January in Dublin. (maybe I just got lucky on that front)
You need Visas for all those countries and also accommodation booked in advance of applying for the Visa. The authorities there like to know where you are staying for each night you are in the respective countries before they issue visas. I booked some of my accommodation on the net and some through a travel agent before applying with all the paperwork for Visas. They will also want to see your flight/tain etc tickets which show you entering and leaving the country.

Don't believe anyone that tells you a Russian visa covers you in Belorus as I found out to my cost that it did'nt. You can get in ok but getting out (on to the European side), is where they'll stop you. It took me several days to get a Visa in the small border town near Poland called Brest and get back out of the country.
I'd also be wary of going to the central asian former USSR republics right now because of the Afghan and Iraqi situations.

I found the trains to be very good over there. Not much on comfort but warm and most importantly, on time. It's also a great way to meet the locals and get away from the tourists !!!!!.
As for attractions Moscow is worth a few days of your time. the Kremlin and Red square are very impressive and have a go on the underground there. The stations are like palaces. Don't know if you'll be going to places like Uzbekistan but if you do there are some amazing sites down there, old palaces, churches etc. Very beautiful places and not what you'd expect to find in the old soviet union. Not a lot in Minsk except buildings typical of the Stalin era.

Overall I recommend you go. It's a great place to visit and no more dangerous than many western countries I've visisted

Re: Russia

Thanks Delboy.
I would be looking to go maybe in September. St. Petersburg and Moscow are a definite and I would be hoping to go to Finland as well. Where did you fly into originally?

re:Scandinavia

Hi REx22,

I live in Stockholm and can recommend you to visit Scandinavia anytime from May-October. Avoid November to Januray as the darkness is pretty miseralble although Christmas lights can brighten the place up somewhat.
I have heard that September is supposed to be beautful in northern Scandinavia due to the colour of the autumn leaves...(have n't ventured that far myself).

The summers here are generally much better than in Ireland with temps ofton in the late 20s in July and August.....but saying that you could get a week of rain also.
The natives usually take 4-5 weeks holidays starting in late June so the cities ofton shut-down ......well that won't affect tourist attractions but some restaurants, post-offices etc are closed or have restricted opening times.

I see you are probably thinking of going to Finland rather than Sweden so I won't go into highlights of Sweden etc,
Finnair fly direct to Helsinki from Dublin (www.finnair.com) and SAS driect to Stockholm. Keep an eye on their web page or sign up for their newsletter as they sometimes have special offers. Ryanair also flies to Skvanas (about 1hour from Stockholm). There are lots of ferries between Stockholm and Helsinki.

Let me know if you want any more specific information.
Regards,
Jane

Going to Russia you will need a visa.

If you are going on a package this will likely be arranged for you (though you may still have to go the embassy in Rathgar to get the visa)

If you are going independently you need to reserve your hotel and then they will issue you with a visa invitation - there may be a small charge (Not anyone can go to Russia.. you need to be invited 8) ).

When your hotel has issued this visa invitation / visa support (some may charge a nominal fee for this) you need to take this (fax copy is fine) along with some photos and go to the embassy and apply for the visa. They charge varying amounts depending on how quickly you need the visa - the can do it on the spot but it's very expensive .. best to give them a week or so (need to leave your passport with them) and then you can call back to collect.

Soviet Bureaucracy is still alive and well in the embassy on Orwell Road in Rathgar !

Lived in Moscow for 2 years in mid 90's. Strongly recommend it for a visit. Beautiful country but can be expensive for a tourist. September is a nice time - weather very pleasant. Generally starts to snow in November and will continue right through to late Feb / early March. However it is still very beautiful and life does not stop during the winter! Temperatures can drop to -30 but it is a very dry cold and very livable in. Mid March to early April is probably the worst time to go . Even though the weather can be pleasant - all the snow is melting and the streets and footpaths tend to be full of slush.
To live as a foreigner there can be expensive - restaurants, bars etc. tend to charge high prices. However Russian bars and restaurants are easily accessible and much cheaper.
Definitely visit the Kremlin - do a tour of the Armoury. English guides available. Also try to get to a show in the Bolshoi theatre - directly across from the Kremlin / Red Square. Two very popular circuses - Old & New - latter using more animals in the performance. So different to the Irish attempt! Beautiful estate about 8 metro stops from the Centre - called Kolomenskoy. Worth a visit.
We went back in 2002 for a week's visit and I was amazed at how much the city had changed. Lots of out of town shopping complexes. And def lots more exclusive designer shops in the city.
Enjoy!

Some other posts

Seamus
St Petersburg (Russia)

Anyone any experience of getting to St Petersburg from Ireland / Uk at reasonable prices?

S.

EvilDoctorK
Re: St Petersburg (Russia)

It's not a cheap place to get to ... not yet in or near Ryanair land - no scheduled direct flights from Dublin

From Dublin anything under €400 inc. tax would be a good deal (Try Czech Airlines via Prague or LOT via Warsaw)

I would doubt you'll get much under £200 all in from London - so much the same pricing by the time you factor in getting to London.

If you don't mind the hassle you would probalby get to Helsinki much cheaper and there's a relatively short train/bus from there - if you have the time might yiedl a useful saving.

rainyday

Aeroflot used to fly there from Shannon.

EvilDoctorK

Aeroflot don't fly from Shannon any more at all.

Until recently Skynet (an Irish company) did operate Shannon-Moscow via Dublin .. but they got into financial difficulties a month or two ago.

There was talk of Skynet operating services to St. Petersburg as well (in cooperation with a local airline and with onward service to the USA) .. however financial reality appears to have caught up with them.

Back