Key Post: Scotland

G

gweebarra

Myself and my wife are heading to Scotland in mid September for about 5/6 days and have no real itinerary.

We have booked two nights on the Isle of Skye but need to fill up another 3/4 days. We were thinking of heading to places such as Oban, Glencoe, Fortwilliam etc. Is there anywhere else that we should be considering?

Any places to visit..........hotels/guest houses to stay in..........restaurants etc would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dornoch

Stayed in Dornoch for three nights. It is one of the quaintest villages I was in. Madonna got married and had her son christened in the local church (I believe). Not that that is a reason to go, but you might remember the TV pictures. Highlands full of Castles but do not miss Dunrobin Castle. Ensure you get there for the Falconry display (11am, 1pm & 3pm) but check beforehand. We stayed in the Burghfield House Hotel in Dornoch, reasonable if you stay in rooms 1 to 4. Food was fabulous, enjoy their cheese board, if you dare. Cannot wait to get back to Scotland.
[broken link removed]

If you are into this sort of thing I would highly recommend it.
www.falkirk-wheel.com It is the Scottish Millennium project. I am a great fan of the waterways and was totally fascinated by it. It is also a superb piece if engineering.

Scottish Highland

My Mother is from Dufftown in the Highlands, have a look at the 'Whiskey Tour' around the famous distilleries.

Also Dornoch (as already mentioned) is definitely worth a visit.... the whole area is fantastic.

If you are into Fishing or Golf it is heaven on earth.

Poker Novice

Some other posts

mighty me
camping in scotland

am heading to scotland next week. any suggestions for camping - nice idyllic locations? would like to head up towards the highlands but unsure of where to gp or what to see.

ajapale
Frequent poster
Tralee in Scotland Strange but true

You could try the rather bizzarely named Tralee Bay Campsite at

ajapale

murray
Hebrides

If you have the time try to go to the Outer Hebrides. If you want peace and quite and idyllic beaches it's the place to go. I would recommend a campsite called Howmore on South Uist, it's right on the beach and just wonderful.

Back