Key Post: Fear of flying/Earache when flying

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sueellen

Hello.

I wonder if anyone knows how to tackle this problem.

I am absolutely terrified of flying but my children can't wait for their first flight. As I am now I think I would have a major panic attack on take-off and I would hate my children to see this. I will not ask G.P. for medication as it is such a cop-out.

Has anyone been on a fear of flying course, was it helpful, is it available in Ireland. Have checked Aer Lingus website but can,t find anything.

I used to love flying but have been left with this problem after a severe bout of post-natal depression which has now thankfully passed.

Thank you.

Re: Fear of flying

Hi,

Very nervous of flying myself. I made some enquiries a long time ago regarding fear of flying classes and as far as I can recall a Dr. Maeve Byrne (?) used to look after same in Aer Lingus. They were very expensive and I think were 1 hr sessions x 10. This may be hers - not sure.

At the time I just phoned the main tel no in Aer Lingus and they were able to put me thru to her.

Its far from being a cop-out to have a fear of flying and IMHO it would be a very good idea for you to have a word with your G.P. in case s/he can provide some help. See here for Boots list of travel essentials including travel bands. :)

it's not the flying I'm worried about, its the crashing! Remember a stat from 'Blackbox'. If you every day for 26 years you will only be involved in one crash, small comfort I know, but makes you think.

It's funny...I'm not a particularly bad flyer...but I have a strange habit of believing I'm going to crash and burn everytime I'm on a plane. Some of my mates hate flying with me as I always start describing in detail how we're all going to die horrible & bloody deaths when the plane goes down!!
Maybe my mind starts doing this as a defence against panicking...I don't know. All I know is I'm cool as a cucumber on flights, because I know I'm going to die horribly...if that makes sense!!

Fear of flying

> Remember a stat from 'Blackbox'.

As Dave Allen once pondered - seeing that the black box flight recorder always survives a crash why don't they make airplanes out of the same material? Anyway, I wouldn't worry. Just sit back, relax and luxuriate in the knowledge that your life is safe in the hands of professionals such as Tharg! :lol

I know some people why take Rohypnol (the "date rape" drug) on long haul flights in order to sleep or because they are nervous.

Are you flying with the hubbie/partner as well? If so, let him in charge of the kiddies and get a serious quantity of vodka into you!!

Only joking...my wife is tewrrified of flying.......theres tears and screams and all at landing time.....she can't seem to get over it. Her favoured solution is to just scream and squeeze my hand like a vice grips....

Are cabin staff afraid of flying?

My best advice is to wait until you are the last person to board the plane. You avoid all the queing while people are putting their kitchen sinks in the luggage lockers overhead. You are however in danger of losing your luggage space as the idiot 5 rows away from you needs your space as well as his.
Definitely have a drink, a g&t does it for me, or get a mild valium from your doctor. Bring a bottle of water on to the plane with you and constantly sip at this before take off etc. If you have a nice perfume or similar dab it on a moist tissue and hold it close to your nose, it will calm you, it also counteracts the smell of feet from the same idiot 5 rows away from you. Sit in an aisle seat, away from the toilets and near the middle of the plane.
Bring a book/magazine you are already reading, not the inflight magazine. Talk to your partner or kids as the plane is taking off. If your plane hits turbulence, don't worry its natural and your pilot is well versed in dealing with these situations unless of course he is related to the idiot 5 rows away from you wearing the sandals and who has purchased his St.Bernard T shirts in every colour.
Its a big world out there, it would be a shame to miss it. Have a good time.

Re: Are cabin staff afraid of flying?

But all we want to know now, is 'who' is that idoit 5 rows away cos I think I was sitting near him on a flight to Newcastle a few months back!!

hi, i went to a hypnotist for about 3 or 4 sessions, wont say i am a relaxed traveller now, but i do not spend my whole holiday dreading the flight home anymore, i can actually put it out of my head and have a good time - and that is a major step for me

Some other posts

Denis
A pain in the .....ear!

I'm going on a long haul flight next weekend & I'm not looking forward to the flight.
My problem is that I alway get a pain in the ear when flying & then they don't "pop" until about 24 hours after the flight.
I've sucked mountains of sweets but doesn't really help.
Other than flying I never have problems with my ears.
Anyone got a suggestion or is there something I can get in a chemist for a quick fix solution?...Thanks........

rainyday
Re: A pain in the .....ear!

Ask for a seat away from your missus!

fatherdougalmaguire
Very frequent poster

See what throws up.

rheinie
Frequent poster
Pain in the ear

I am not a Medic but am a bit familiar with this problem .The problem is that you have to equalize the pressure in your ear ,this is done by simply closing your mouth holding your nose closed with thumb and finger you then exhale gently and you should hear your ears pop and this should do the trick .I know this works for me as it is the same process you use when scuba diving you use the same method as you decend as you have to equalize the pressure in your ears otherwise you will get a burst eardrom,worth a try.

Marion

[broken link removed]

Marion :hat

EvilDoctorK
Frequent poster

Rheinie is correct - this is the best way to equalise pressure.

I've never found sucking sweets/chewing gum etc to be of much use at all.

The suggestion of sudafed might be useful if you have blocked up sinuses etc. as this certainly can cause problems.

Dr Moriarty
Frequent poster

From personal experience, I'd second the advice given by Rheinie & EvilDoctorK (no relation...;-))

Sucking on sweets and/or chewing gum are simply tricks to make you swallow more frequently — due to the saliva build-up — because swallowing also has the effect of equalising pressure on each side of the eardrum, 'though less effectively than the holding-your-nose-and-blowing-out-through-your-ears thing.

Just make sure you don't sneeze while pinching your nose — Lord knows where all that pressure will find an outlet..!

Dr. M.

rheinie
Frequent poster
Pain in the ear

This method works but is not recomended if you have any type of ear infection as it may push the infection to your inner ear and this may create more problems.

j
Ear pain

Hi Denis,

I suffer with this also. Although for me, the domestic flights seem to be worse. Something to do with flying at a lower altitude. I've tried the holding my nose & exhaling trick & ended up with a worse pain in my ear!

What does work for me is putting my head back so I am looking up at the ceiling of the plane and yawn (a big open mouth yawn!). It really works & doesn't cause you any pain. Keep doing this regularly.

Denis
Ear pain

Thanks for all suggestons which I'll try on my flight tomorrow to Phoenix.
I've no doubt I'll be getting funny looks from nearby passengers!

Re: >>Fear of flying/Earache when flying

Hi all,

Flying on Saturday to Spain, only a 2.5 hour flight but getting more nervous by the day.
Used to be fine, travelled to and all around Oz by myself and never worried. Its not so much that I'm afraid of crashing, its that I get claustrophobic in the plane - can't see out ahead and have to be very near the front of the plane in an aisle seat so I feel I have some bit of 'space'.
I've heard various things recommended that might calm me down - xanax, valium or even spraying peppermint on a tissue and sniffing that....
Has anyone tried any of these, or what could you recommend? Its just a feeling of being 'trapped' but it really puts me off...
thanks.

One-off medication to calm you down in these circumstances is not a cop-out. Xanax is very effective if not taken continuously and most GP would have no difficulties prescribing a small amount (it gets less effective with frequent use). So in the absence of more in depth and longer treatment options, a mild prescribed sedative is not a bad idea at all.

Enjoy your holiday.

Irish health website

This website might be useful, I have a fear of flying myself, but try to control it...the thing I find best is to get a good book/magazine and try to get engrossed! Happy Flying!

[broken link removed]

I was in Marks and Sparks at the weekend and purchased one of those mini fans that might help cool you down. It is also fun trying to figure out how the dam thing works. They also have other little interesting bits and pieces as stocking fillers.

To help with earache when flying,
clasp your hands together as if you are going to pray but extend your hands such that the finger tip can press down onto the area between the two fingers on the other side. I was advised of this technique by a reflexologist. Hope you can understand this !
During flying, take off and landing, if you press hard you should have no problems with earache. This action causes the ears to pop regularly. It works for me and I have had terrible problems with flying before.

Good luck! :)

thanks for the suggestions, off to read some of those websites now.

Is xanax only available on prescription? Is there anything in chemist that would do much the same thing?

thanks.

Hi,

Have the same claustraphobia problem as yourself when it comes to flying hence the tendency to stay in Ireland :)

I have found the travel bands to be quite good - probably more in the mind than anything else. Another thing you could try is to mention on check-in that you are a bad traveller and they might be able to do something for you i.e. if a seat with a little bit more space than normal is available they may be able to allocate it. The last thing they want is for other passengers to have to put up with you possibly getting sick nearby.

[broken link removed] some good advice on deep breathing technique/positive thinking from VHI. Bupa provide [broken link removed] and mygp.ie provide this.

Another important thing is to try to be as organised/relaxed/stress free before the trip. IMHO if you can have everything ready well in advance and get plenty of rest the night before travelling it helps a lot. Concentrate more on looking forward to/enjoying the holiday and the power of positive thinking kicks in. Great time of the year to be goin' - gettin' away from all this rain :)

boogaloo said:
thanks for the suggestions, off to read some of those websites now.

Is xanax only available on prescription? Is there anything in chemist that would do much the same thing?

thanks.

Xanax is only available on prescription. There are natural alternatives but not as fast acting or as effective (if they work at all).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back