Removing Chimney Breast

Valhalla

Hello,

Has anyone got any experience of removing a chimney breast i.e. structural considerations, costs etc?

I presume a support like such as an RSJ would be required to hold up what is left?

Thanks.

Hi Valhalla,

This post on discussing the problems with removing a chimney breast might be worth a read although its probably not what you want to hear.

Valhalla, this depends primarily on the position of the chimney breast relative to adjoining houses, age of the house etc.

If it adjoins another house, it could be tricky and would advise getting a structural engineer to look at it. If it doesn't, (ie if you house is detached or your chimney is not on the party wall) it is very esay to remove. I would advise however to remove it all completely (ie from the roof down) and fixing the roof. Ceiling joists and floor joists would normally be trimmed around the stack and not bearing on them so they wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for replies,

It's is an old corporation house, built in the 1950's I think. I am not in a hurry to do anything but I do want to keep it in mind. It could make a huge difference to the 3 rooms it affects.

Thanks.

Be very careful and do not proceed without the advice and supervision of an engineer. In many older houses especially the chimney breast is a major structural element. Also, if you're semi-detached or terraced it's likely that your chimney breast is shared with the people on the other side of the wall, so they will have to be consulted.

Back