Key Post: Venice.

S

sueellen

Hi,
What's the cheapest way to fly to Venice? What site do you look up? Any suggestions anybody?
D.

Short trip to Venice

Try www.ryanair.com

You have to fly to London Stansted and onwards to Treviso airport. Fares are usually good if you can book a few weeks to a few months in advance. Also cheaper to travel midweek than at weekends etc. They have some tips on the site for how to get the cheapest fares availabale.

good luck
JK7

Trip to Venice

Myself and the wife got stung last year in Venice, the bus ride from Treviso to Venice and onwards to Lido takes about 50 on the bus and another 20 by canal bus, the bus arrives at the terminus for the boats, but some sneaky bugger lured us about 10 others to a 'private' taxi, cost 30 Euro to get about a mile up the canal, where they dumped us to get the public taxi for about 4 Euro, whereas we should have taken the public taxi from where the Ryanair bus dropped us for the same price. They brought us round the back of a hotel to hide the terminus. Just be careful if you haven't been there before. Lovely spot, tricky place when there is a traffic jam or strike!!!
bear

Venice

Any1 know anywhere nice & reasonalble to stay in Venice? - alos how much was it in total toget formt eh ariport to hotel (via bus & canal boat?).

Flying to Venice

When I went to Venice I flew Go from Standsted to Venice airport - I cannot remember the name of the airport, but it is closer than the one that Ryanair use - its just a short bus trip (or better still waterbus trip from just outside the terminal building - reasonable price) to the city. I don't know if this route still exists now that Go are Easyjet.

JH

Other options

Hi, I lived close before. Think about flying to Bologna or Rimini. Aer Lingus are going to start direct to Bologna, I think Ryanair go to Rimini. If by Bologna, you can get a bus to train station (5euro?) and then a direct, very regular, train for approx 20 euro (1hour). The train leaves you about a 15minute walk from Venice centre.

Basically, Italian train services are brilliant, and great value. This makes the north of Italy very small.

Re: Other options

Basically, Italian train services are brilliant, and great value.

Indeed. I know from experience that the train and general public transport services in Sicily and Sardinia would put us to shame here in Ireland even though hubris dictates that many people would snigger at the suggestion of Southern Italians running such services efficiently! :rolleyes

Re: >>Short trip to Venice.

Some other posts

Diamond
Hotels in Venice

Has anybody any suggestions for a nice hotel in Venice - going there for a long w/end in July for our Anniversary! Would like to stay in the city centre.

All information appreciated. Thanks in advance.

02dublinwrx
re Venice hotels

Just back from Venice last week.. What an amazing place! stayed in the www.hotelaimoridoriente.it/
gorgeous 4 star hotel, 2 min walk from the stop where you get the waterbus. Situated in the Caraneggio area of Venice, less than 10 mins from Rialto bridge. We upgraded to a canal view room- stunning. small rooms but brand new and tastefully done! nice quiet area aswell. Hop off the plane and get a free shuttle to waterbus. Take waterbus to Fontamente de nueve (30 mins ) €5 EACH! dont get a water taxi-rip off €100!! Hop off and F. de nueve and get 2nd waterbus nos 42/52 to ORTO ( 5 mins ). buses are very regular! make sure your case and wheels though, plenty of bridges! there is no restaurant in the hotel but to be honest you are better off exploring the restaurants around. we found a lovely place www.bacorojazz.com, approx €100 for a cple 2 incl 2 btles wine. Venice is so small so dont be fooled by the maps, you can walk from one end to the other in 30/40 mins. this hotel is in a nice quiet area compared to the husstle & bustle of central areas. July is really busy with tourists so we heard, so be prepared for queues to sights... Enjoy ur trip!

p.s we booked everything via aerlingus.com and it worked out at just over €1000 incl upgrade, might be more expensive in July.

Diamond
Venice

Thanks a million for all that great information. It's really appreciated.

aine
Venice

The most popular hotel in Venice according to TripAdvisor is Locanda Orseolo. It is situated in a quiet courtyard on a side canal right behind St. Mark's square.

Try this link to read the reviews:-

Bamboo
Conflict

Where Venice is concerned, I think you may find it difficult to find a three/four star hotel that's NOT mad expensive (although this time of year may be more reasonable).

You may wish to try http://www.venere.com/ (www.venere.com/)

Using this website, I found the Locando Gaffaro. It's a small family-run hotel. Reasonably central, it's nice, pleasant, has everything (air con, etc), but you won't be bowled over by its majesty.

If it's a special occasion though, and if your budget allows, you might prefer something more salubrious. Expect to pay though.

Re: >>Short trip to Venice.

If you are going to Venice, considering renting a flat rather than staying in a hotel. You get more room, your ‘own’ canal is at your doorstep and all the fun of shopping in local shops, etc. We rented a flat at 125 euro per night in the Cannaregio area with this lot: www.venicebooky.com. Despite Venice’s reputation for being a rip-off we found restaurant prices to be 30 – 50% cheaper than Dublin and prices in food shops also much cheaper. Admittedly, these were local restaurants and not those in the Piazza San Marco area. So in Cannaregio you could check out Trattoria da Mimmo, Rio Terra de Leonardo, for Venetian cooking, and alla Fontana on the Fondamenta di Canneregio for fish. There is also a wine shop on the Fondamenta di Canneregio where you bring an empty container and they fill it with local wine for 1.50 – 2.50 euro a litre! Also Osteria del Carmina on the south side of Campo Santa Margherita in Dorsoduro for excellent and inexpensive Venetian cooking.

Re: >>Venice.

I have inquired about an apartment in Venice through Venicebooky.com. One poster mentioned they had used that service before last year. Any comment on them as an agency?

Back