Key Post: What to do in Manchester

S

sueellen

Brother heading over this weekend with his better half. Anyone any tips on what there is to do there?

TIA
:eek

Laughter Lounge

Not sure of the correct name. It's the equivalent of the old Murphy's Laughter Lounge on the Dublin Quays (in fact, I'm nearly sure it's not called the Laugher Lounge in Manchester).

great seat, you can bring your food and drinks inside.

obviously if you like this sort of thing.

Not sure where it is either, but I am sure it won't be difficult to find.

Bubbles

The Comedy Store

that's what it's called

and here's a link to a thread on the Motley Fool on Manchester:

[broken link removed]

bubbles

Some other posts

irisheyes40
Weekend in Manchester

I'm travelling to Manchester next weekend for two nights, just looking for any tips. Accomodation is booked. What I particularly want to know is can I get a public transport ticket that will cover all the buses trams etc for the weekend. Thanks

Enaja
Re: Weekend in Manchester

zag
Administrator
Hotels (or other accommodation) in Manchester city centre

All,

I was asking a while back about Macclesfield, but it looks like the easiest thing (in this case) to do is to stay somewhere in Manchester (within walking distance of the train station) and get the 20 minute train to Macclesfield.

I had a dig around the archives here for detail on Manchester (thinking there must be a lot of people going over to see a footie game), but it looks like not many people have asked.

So, does anyone know any hotels (or self-catering since it could be for a while) in the centre of Manchester ? I will look up the various websites, but I was looking for some personal recommendations if possible.

Cheers,

z

mark
ibis hotel

check out the ibis hotel. cheap and cheerful

Sueellen,

www.visitmanchester.com/

cian132
Hotels in Manchester

Can anyone recommend a hotel in Manchester (2adults one 11 month old) for Sept 04. Must be close to Trafford Shopping centre and Pavilion (centre of town)

Going in September

Thx

Tara

mac the knife
Manchester Hotel

Just returned from overnight stay in Manchester for an interview. The office (for interview) advised the Ibis hotel as nearby - very clean, quiet and modern if functional. Two hotels in city centre for around £46 (sterling) - not sure if famiily rooms available.
If you're looking for more upmarket with facilities check out

Good Luck

milly
restaurants in manchester

any suggestions for a nice romantic meal for 2 for a birthday surprise? is it possible to book from here also??

golfmad
Restaurant in Manchester

If you like chinese,The Great Wall in Chinatown was lovely...we ate there 4 out of 6 nights!

Amyless
Manchester - what to do + see?

Hi all,

I'm trying to decide between London and Manchester for a weekend away early next year. I've looked up many sites to do with London, but I'm a bit clueless about Manchester. Is it worth a visit? What are the main sights? What about shopping? Also, overall, would Manchester be a cheaper weekend than London, for accommodation and food?

Any replies greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

mickytee81
Manchester-shopping

Have been to Leeds many times over the last 5years and have made a point of always going to The Trafford Shopping Centre. Its class. If you are into shopping you will love this place. Its huge, free parking (or buses that drop you practically at the door)loads of shops, restaurants, coffee shops, play area for the kids and a cinema(with at least 9screens as far as i remember).

Its not far from Old Trafford if you are into football at all.Havent actually stayed in the city so thats as much info as i can provide sorry. Seems there are less touristy sights to see in Manchester.

MaxKolbe03
Global User
Re: Manchester - what to do + see?

Mmmm Manchester. Not the most attractive city I've ever seen. If you fancy some English countryside get the train from Manchester to Edale which is the spiritual home of the English rambling movement....no, really, do. The new part of the city around the cathedral (this area was damaged in the IRA bombing) is nice - as city centres go. But if you want my advice you'll head to Liverpool......far more interesting. Check out the two amazing cathedrals and mooch around the docks for a bit....Richard and Judy are no longer there though :)

Some other posts

techman29
Frequent poster
All manchester hotels

Going over to Manchester for a weekend break (and a Man U game).

Can anyone recommend a good hotel?

Nothing fancy.

Lad's weekend!

Leatherarse
Re: manchester hotels

Try www.hotelsofmanchester.com/

techman29
Frequent poster

Thanks Leatherarse.

Just what I was looking for.

Trebledigit

Stayed in Jurys. Good value, comfortable rooms and nice bar. Also within walking distance of city centre.

Check it out on the web. I was very happy with it.

Man City Supporter

newbee2

sorry techman but I have a request rather than help, currently trying to get tickets for a man u game (for lads weekend) but finding it very difficuly. Any advice?

paulocon
Frequent poster

newbee2,

Going over myself in March to the Fulham game.

Got all-in package from travelcare.co.uk (Match tickets, 2 Nights city centre hotel accomodation, Match programme, Stadium + Museum tour). 4 of us going in total. They are an affiliated agency and I've found them very good to deal with.

Worked out reasonable enough, for the above + flights with ryanair, came to EUR315 per head.

newbee2

Thanks paulocon, managed to convince them to go see some real football at Newcastle v Liverpool game. But I will keep them in mind for the next trip.

paulocon
Frequent poster

nice one newbee2,

let us know how you get on at St. James - meant to be a great atmosphere there!!

Back