Eating out in Cork city - recommendations?

Bluebean

hi all,

Heading to Cork in a few weeks, just wondered if anyone had any recommendations for a nice, low - mid priced resturaunt near to/within walking distance of McCurtain Street?

thanks.

Isaac's and Green's on McCurtain Street, Star Anise on Bridge Street are all good.

Diziet said:
Isaac's and Green's on McCurtain Street, Star Anise on Bridge Street are all good.

Haven't been in Isaac's or Green's, but as far as I know they are no low/mid priced, neither does Star Anise (was there for lunch a year ago and paid 5 euros for a juice as far as I remember)

Wagamama is a "Oriental" type of food in North Main Street, 10/15 mins walking from McCurtain Street, really nice food, service is great, and price is what I consider fair (around 10/12 euros for a dish that sometimes can be too big for just one). Highly recommend that place (don't work for them or anything, but love the food and atmosphere there).

Luigi Malones near the Opera House...about 5 minutes walk from McCurtain Street...lively atmosphere, good food, great German cold beer

Diziet said:

They are all pricy too.

Taste of Thailand is tasty and very reasonable on Bridge Street just around the corner from McCurtain St.
Scoozi's off Winthrop street a pasta/pizza kind of place - good value for money.

Should probably clarify a bit more - talking about spending approx 20 euro per person, would like if that included 2 courses if possible, or at least a good size main course + a drink each.
Leaning towards Scoozis, Luigi Malones and Wagamama from the below list. Is Wagamama very 'asian', as I'm not sure one of the group likes spicy food?
thanks a mill.
Also, where is easiest/safest to park in the area? We are going to the Everyman Theatre.

Thanks.

Greene's do a very good Early Bird option, 4 courses for €25 - have your order in by 7pm. Lovely food. (On MacCurtain street).

Wagamama's menu is online - google it. It's not really spice more of a noodle bar. They don't take reservations if that makes a difference.

Don't park in the bus bays on the quays near the Everyman a friend got a ticket there recently.

If you're going to a show an early bird is probbaly your best value for money. Greenes food is beautiful but I've only ever eaten A La Carte and I think the Early Bird can be limited. But it's better quality than the more reasonable places.

I've been to Greenes and Issacs a load of times on business and I think they're a rip-off...the food ain't great. Scoozis is a bit down-market in my opinion...pub grub type of food. I still stick with Luigis as the best compromise between food, price and casual atmosphere. Main course are ~€15 (and no I have no link with Luigis....I go there with my kids and I find it to be one of the few child-friendly restaurants in the city)

Kudos in the Clarion is just over the river and might be worth a thought. Had lunch there recently and thought it was reasonable.
Only been to Greenes once and thought the food was good. Is Isaacs not a Bistro version of Greenes - ie shorter menu, slightly cheaper.
Wagamama would be a good walk from McCurtain street, its on North Main Street - would not want to walk it on a wet night.

The Ambassador is a really good Chinese
Ristorante Rossinis excellent Italian
Jacobs on the Mall also very good..a bit pricey but great food in a great setting

ninsaga said:
The Ambassador is a really good Chinese
Ristorante Rossinis excellent Italian
Jacobs on the Mall also very good..a bit pricey but great food in a great setting

They're all on the higher end of the price sacle too though.

Milano on Oliver Plunket St is good for pizza.

The best place to eat in Cork in my opinion is Amicus. The food is constantly fab. But you won't be able to book it. You just have to call in and hope they have a free table. If there are more than two of you this can be a problem, as it is always busy.

Amicus is lovely and reasonable but a bit of a walk from McCurtain St.

Yeah Amicus is nice...had lunch there but never had an evening meal... the lunch was mighty to be fair

Try Eastern Tandoori - Near the )pera House- Hope I have the name and location right?

Love Indian Food!

BM

Hi all, like above am off to Cork for a weekend - what would be recommended for a special occasion for 2? Price not an issue, quality and ambience is all important.
Location - central
And preference is for non-italian and non-asian (although a good Thai restaurant would also be appreciated). Hope I'm not being too fussy!

IMHO for a lovely meal for 2 I think Greens or Issacs are fabby. Also Star Anise, Jacques, Jacobs on the Mall or the Ivory Tower is you are a bit adventurous with your food.

Most of them probably have a menu online if you google.

Amicus on French Church street (not far at all from McCurtain Street), is really really good. Mediterranean style, up there with Luigi Malones for me. The Indian Palace on Princes Street is a good one, it is also on the same street as Rossinis, the Pearl River (quantity more than quality), and Clancys which has a bistro style. It has a good rep though i haven't been there in ages. For those with money to burn, The Ivory Tower is also on Princes Street (Ristead O'Connell (?) from the TV show). Scoozi's which is just off Winthrop Street is an excellent choice for mid budget. Evening menu has a Big Bopper steak (14oz) with pepper sauce. Good size wings portion though too sweet for my tastes. There is also a Spanish tapas bar on Bridge Street (road leading from Patricks bridge to McCurtain Street).

Back