Key Post: The Gentle Art of Complaining

A

ajapale

Frequently when someone voices a concern about an aspect of a product/service some one replies along the lines " well if you dont like the product then dont buy it". This is a variation of " well you know where the off button is".

I think that this option is the "nuclear option" only to be used when all other courses of action (including posting on AAM) have been exhausted.

I believe that good progressive companies should listen to customer complaints and concerns and take action to reduce or eliminate them. I think that good customers should offer constructive and rational suggestions and expect them to be considered.

Does any one agree with me that the "if you dont like it then dont buy it" is about the most useless bit of advice that can be offered in AAM?

I have deliberately not mentioned any particular product/service because the point I'm trying to make is a general one.

Ajapale

Re: If you dont like Product/Service X then dont use Prod/Se

Your assumption that customers' complaints are generally constructive & rational is false. Take the suggestion that Ryanair should refund 'taxes' for no-show customers. The cost of processing a financial transaction like this is probably around 15-25 euro, which probably outweighs the 'taxes' in some cases and certainly eliminates most of the benefit in all cases. But consumers don't consider the costs of doing business in many of their complaints.

Customer Complaints

Hi rainyday,

A goolge search for "customer complaints" results in several hits like the one below:

Your assumption that customers' complaints are generally constructive & rational is false.

I agree that customer complaints are often incoherent, destructive and irrational. But I still contend that companies have a duty ot listen to their customers and respond to their needs. There are many documented cases where customer complaints have dramatically improved the fortunes of the company which have taken them seriously.

When I am not happy about an aspect of product or service I complain, tell everyone about it (AAM) and only as a last resort stop buying the product.

Ajapale

PS...can we agree not to mention that airline on this tread there are plenty of other threads which do this :)
AJP

Re: Customer Complaints

I don't think it is a consumers responsibility to tell companies how to run their business and how to look after their customers. I have enough to do without running their business for them. Why should I tell a courier that they really should collect the parcel when they say they will and deliver it when they say they will for the fee we agree? I'm purchasing a service, not signing up to make them better people and a better company. I will just never use them again and will find someone else to do the job.

I dealt with a bank some years ago. I was a long-standing customer and wanted to borrow money from them. The person I dealt with was disrespectful and unreasonable. I contacted the manager to discuss the issue because I thought surely they wouldn't want to lose a customer over something as stupid as this. I was wrong. I went to personal inconvenience to meet the manager and discuss the issues but they were more keen to be seen to support their employee than to deal with my reasonable request. I left and went to another bank where they were very happy to facilitate me.

I will ask for a better deal or better service if for some reason I need to use a particular business or service but otherwise, why should I? In my view, companies that don't look after their customers properly deserve to lose business.

However, if a company makes a mistake and notices it and makes an effort to sort it out, I would almost always keep using them and become a loyal customer.

I think that consumers generally want to have it every way. They have reaped the benefits of generally shrinking margins in the mortgage markets, but they still expect their bank to provide the same expensive counter service, to send out the calender at Christmas, to throw a few quid at the local football team etc etc.

You can't have it both ways.

Does any one agree with me that the "if you dont like it then dont buy it" is about the most useless bit of advice that can be offered in AAM?

I for one would disagree strongly with this statement. Take the example of rising prices. Inflation is a (largely unavoidable) fact of life in our own economy and every other economy. And yet every time a business increases its prices it is accused of "ripoff" - generally by people who never bother to find out why the price increases are necessary. If Joe Manufacturer, Joe Plumber or Jo Consultant increases their prices (for whatever reason) surely it is healthy that their customers can shop elsewhere if they want to avoid paying the higher price? Again, surely it is healthy that Joe or Jo can say to their customers " well if you dont like the product then dont buy it"? Surely they should not be expected to run their business at a loss?

I wonder if we are trying to get to a point about choice. Certain sectors are awash with choice let's call these commodity sectors, supermarkets within an urban region is an easily substituted commodity, restaurants also fall into this sector even more so because we can now add in avoidance (let's face it you really don't have to eat in a restaurant). But in many many other instances there is no real choice, civil service, ESB, trains, busses, venue ticket resellers etc. So within these (lets call them) exclusive sectors what force would drive better customer service.

Why would a company improve its customer service if there is no tangible benefit. Many (far too many) companies are misguided by bean counters, for which customer service may well be an alien concept. So your challenge is persuade me an accountant that additional investment in customer service in the exclusive sector will bring me additional value.

Nat CFO

Oddly enough, the sectors you cite as commodity sectors, namely supermarkets and restaurants, are the ones against whom people most commonly complain about (alleged) ripoffs...

cartels & monopolies

I have to agree with Tommys last point. Cartels can be worse than monopolies for stifling competition & choice.

With regard to trains & buses being monopolies, that's incorrect in practice. They're just suppliers of transport. They have to compete daily against all other modes of transport (and against each other). Depending on route and distance, the competition can be anything from aircraft to bicycles. Public transport has to fight to win business against all these alternatives.

Re: cartels & monopolies

BTW, Natchessmen, the formatting of your post makes it extremely difficult to read. If you edit it to revert to the original formatting, more people may be able to read it.

The Gentle Art of Complaining

Hi rainyday,temptedd and Tommy,

Thanks for your contributions to the debate! I've "moderated" (if you'll excuse the pun) my views somewhat in the light of your comments.

If a customer is not happy with some aspect of the goods/services offered then the customer should:
1/ Complain (Im adding a few links about effective complaining)
in the event of the complaint not having a satisfactory outcome then the customer should:
2/ Report to the appropriate regulatory agency
in the event of this not being satisfactory then:
3/ Broadcast the complaint far and wide AAM, Joe Duffy, Placard outside the door etc.
4/ Suspend the product or service for a short period
5/ Vow never to use the product or service again this is the 'nuclear option' mentioned above
6/ After a few years review the situation even the worst of businesses have been known to redeem themselves.

Some specific responses
rainyday
But customers don't consider te costs of doing business
I agree, should they?
You cant have it both ways
I think consumers can have it both ways. I dont think there is a trade off between excellent products/services and business results. On the contrary I believe that companies who respond to customers become stronger competitors resulting in better business performance.

tempted
I dont dont think it is the customers responsibility to tell companies how to run their business
I agree, but it can be very beneficial for a customer with a genuine complaint to see it resolved.

Tommy
You raise a very interesting point about price. Many consumers complain about price (we've had them here price of a pint etc). Im in agreement with you here companies have an absolute right to set their prices at what ever they wish. The appropriate response to complaints of this kind is to point out the cost factors which lead to the price increase. There is some research to show that customers who complain about price often have other issues as well and are merely taking the easy option.

A general point: you will always have "crack pot", spurious, and "compensation motivated" complaints. These should be dealt with in a professional manner and closed down.

How to complain effectively

from ofwatch.org (these are the people who recieve complaints about "adult" material on telly in the UK. Its not exactly comprable but it sets out very clearly the steps in complaining effectively. also a google search for "complain effecitvely" throws up some very usefull sites.

Be clear of your facts
Check as many sources as possible and be cautious of claims made in newspaper articles.

Be firm but politeAlways avoid bad language and never loose your rag however irritating the response you receive. A cool calculated letter is likely to have more impact than a hysterical rant. State your case clearly, firmly and in as few words as possible. Try not to waffle.

Always ask at least one clear question
Ensure that you phrase your letter in such a way that it is clear to the recipient that you expect a response. General complaints along the lines of “we don’t like this or that…” will not be effective. But don’t over do it, try not to ask more than three questions and certainly not more than six questions in one letter.

Consider carefully whether to send a letter by post or email
It is usually preferable to send letters through the post. Postal letters tend to carry more weight than emails by their physical presence and will involve more effort to reply to. However in some cases email may be preferable for instance if the emails are likely to be posted on a website where they will be seen by more people.

Consider carefully who to send the letter toMany organisations employ some staff specifically to answer general questions and complaints. It is worth considering sending letters to some one in a position of authority. They may be able to give a more detailed and carefully considered response even if they pass the letter on to others to answer.

Be persistent
If you have not received a reply within two weeks write to them again. If you are not satisfied with the answers you have been given or they have avoided answering some of your questions write back and demand answers. Don’t be afraid to phone. Phone calls sometimes have an almost miraculous ability to speed up a long awaited response.

Be original if possible
It is not always easy to be original but if you can think of a different slant on the standard argument or you have a particular interest because of your personal circumstances, age, income, disability or insider knowledge use it!

Don’t let them get away with sloppy answers
Always write back if they have not answered your complaint fully and properly. If after repeated attempts you have still not received a clear complete and accurate response to your questions write to your MP and complain to them.
Don’t be afraid to ask for help or advise
If you are uncertain of any particular facts or how to phrase your question please write to us and we will do our best to answer your questions.

And I would add... always state clearly what you want ( what would satisfiy you i.e. a full refund, an apology, an undertaking that it wont happen again)

As Jem would say "hope this is of use"

Ajapale

[broken link removed] is an interesting site

Edited to add some links

Re: The Gentle Art of Complaining

Great post AJ. I have taken the liberty of editing the title and making it a key post, so it doesn't get lost.

Brendan

Just to expand on the "How to Complain Effectively", I came across another site (link below) that had some great advice ...

1. The first thing to do is to decide what it will take to satisfy you.This might be a solution to a problem, it might be a refund, it might be something else. If you don't know what you want, if you can't explain why it's reasonable that you should get it, and if you don't ask for it, you won't get it.

2. Push on several pressure points:
  • More senior people in the support organization
  • The corporate executives
  • The corporate counsel
  • The corporate ombudsman
  • The company that owns this company
  • The shareholders
  • The web (your own website)
  • The web (other websites)
  • Journalists
  • Magazines that have endorsed this product
  • Other individuals who endorsed or recommended this product
  • Consumer protection agencies: Better Business Bureau
  • Consumer protection agencies: Other private organizations
  • Consumer protection agencies: County-level mediators and investigators
  • Consumer protection agencies: State-level regulators and investigators
  • Consumer protection agencies: Federal
  • Litigation: Sue them in small claims court
  • Litigation: Sue them in a more formal court
3. Here are some general tactical tips:
  • Don't fire all of your bullets at once. I prefer to start with a little pressure and add a little more every week or so.
  • Do the easiest things first. Be considerate of your own time and aggravation.
  • Do some research on the web. Google is your friend. Find out how other people have handled their complaints with this company, what worked and what didn't.
  • Don't ever threaten to do anything. This can be misconstrued as extortion. Or as blowhard bluffing.
  • Be factual and polite in all of your communications. If you are rude, if you use abusive language, if you raise your voice, you weaken your own negotiating position.
[broken link removed]

Good luck

Back