Anyone recommend decent set of saucepans?

I definitely wouldn't recommend the ones I have. They're stainless steel and everything sticks to them. I think I'll have to go out and buy a new Teflon set as I only have one saucepan out of 5 that hasn't got burn marks all around them!

We have a stainless steel set that we bought in 1995 - still as good as new. For burn marks removal use lemon juice.

We have used a saucepan and frying pan from the [broken link removed] range for several years now, and have found them excellent. They are sold in Brown Thomas, and possibly Arnotts, and I have seen some others in the Meyer range in Roches (although not the Analon or Analon Advanced). They seemed expensive initially, but have proved to be good value.

Dunnes Stores stainless steel saucepans purchased c. 10 years ago and still going strong.....

Diziet said:
Circulon are brilliant, and you should still find good offers in the sales.
Best saucepans on the market IMHO. Bought in 1988 and still in perfect condition. :)

[broken link removed]
Brabantia
at [broken link removed].

Clean-up with a paste made from water and baking soda.

I find [broken link removed]very good. Bought mine in Switzers a fair few years back. Mine aren't non-stick but they clean quite easily. I always find the non-stick black coated saucepans/frypans are too easily scratched.

I have heard some friends complain about Le Creuset being expensive and not living up their name.

TK MAXX is a great store I've often purchased fantastic quality cookware here and for much less than it was being sold else where.

Store: Dublin (St. Stephens Green)
Unit 103, St. Stephens Green Centre, St. Stephens Green
Dublin 2
Tel: 00 353 1 4757080
Fax: 00 353 1 4757234

Opening Hours: M/Tu/Wed/Fri 9.30am-6.00pm;Thurs 9.30am-8.00pm;Sat 9am-6.00pm;Sun 12.00pm-6.00pm

Directions: Adjacent to Fitzwilliams Hotel at the top of Grafton Street.

sueellen said:
I always find the non-stick black coated saucepans/frypans are too easily scratched.

We tried a variety of non-stick frying pans down the years, and they all either scratched easily, the non-stick layer started to peel away, or the non-stick layer seemed to practically burn away in places (usually the centre of the pan). This is when using wooden cooking utensils too. The worst culprits were non-stick saucepans that we used for making porridge (with milk rather than water) - every saucepan started to lose its non-stick coating after a few months (we'd sometimes find little bits of the non-stick coating in the porridge), which we put down to some kind of acidic affect of hot milk.

We eventually paid a little more for a Tefal non-stick saucepan, to use for making porridge, with a lifetime guarantee. Within a year we had to have it replaced under the guarantee (again, we found bits of the non-stick layer in the cooked porridge). The replacement suffered the same fate within another few months. We got sick of that and bought a Meyer Analon Advanced saucepan a few years back, and it is still going strong in spite of being used every day. It impressed us enough that we replaced some of our frying pans with this range too, with similarly excellent results. In spite of using wooden utensils, we have ended up with a few scratches on these pans, but they don't seem to have impaired their performance at all.

Prestige is an excelent brand, got a set as wedding presnt and are the best I have ever used.

The Brown Thomas summer sale is usually an excellent time to buy cookware that will last a lifetime. I bought a full set of Meyer stainless steel pots, pans etc., for about half the price they are normally.

I never have a problem with stuff burning/sticking - usually this happens due to temperatures being too high. I was told that most modern, quality cookware, e.g. Meyer, Stellar, Fissler, etc. are so efficient at conducting heat that you should never need to turn your dials more than half way when cooking on the hob.

Sherman said:
I never have a problem with stuff burning/sticking - usually this happens due to temperatures being too high. I was told that most modern, quality cookware, e.g. Meyer, Stellar, Fissler, etc. are so efficient at conducting heat that you should never need to turn your dials more than half way when cooking on the hob.

We were very careful with our non-stick pans to ensure that the heat was never set too high. The poorer (usually cheaper, but no always) non-stick coatings just seem to get more fragile with use though, and even moderate heat seems to lead to problems eventually.

Thicker bases on the pans should lead to more efficient conducting of heat, and we have found this to be the case in those pans we have used with such bases. On stainless steel pans, these bases tend to be sandwiched aluminium, whereas on our current non-stick pans they are the same material, and thickness, as the rest of the pan body. Again, even at low to moderate heat (level 4 on a cermaic hob plate that goes to a max of 9), our previous non-stick saucepans seemed unable to tolerate daily use for the cooking of porridge made with milk. Heating milk, or perhaps specifically heating milk with porridge oats, seems to be a good benchmark for determining if a non-stick pan is any good, at least in our experience.

We have Stellar, great gear. Guarenteed to work on induction hobs also..... Inductions hobs are great.

Except for a frying pan I'd never buy non stick pots or pans. We have an excellent set of "Meyer" pots which are stainless steel and we would recommend them wholeheartedly. You should be able to get a 5 piece set (including veg. steamer and frying pan) for less than €140. The wash well in the dishwasher.

BlueSpud said:
We have Stellar, great gear. Guarenteed to work on induction hobs also..... Inductions hobs are great.

I have heard bits about induction hobs, but how do they work and are they really that much better?

Christy

Christy said:
I have heard bits about induction hobs, but how do they work and are they really that much better?

Christy

Induction hobs cook via a magnetic field rather than an element. Saucepans must be ferromagnetic such as enamelled steel, cast iron or magnetic stainless steel. When magnetic based sauceans are placed on the hob, a magnetic field is generated to produce the heat. The field is only generated where the pan lies, which makes it very efficient as it saves a lot of electricity ie the part of the ring that is not in contact with the saucepan stays cold and obviously doesn't use electricity. As for saucepans, we have been using the same Le creuset set for nearly 14 years without any probs.

My mum had Le Crueset pots and hated them because they just kept going and going and going and she had no reason to buy something new!

Back