Key Post: Online Pharmacies?

M

Marion

Hi,

Has anyone got experience of buying prescription drugs online (without prescription)? If so can you recommned a god online retailer?

There are so many websites offering but it's difficult to know which ones are trustworthy and reliable.

ps. I know buying/taking prescription drugs without proper medical advice is not recommened.

How do you know that the medicine obtained is the real thing and not just a copy (or talc in a capsule!)?

The products on that site all appear to be brand name products, and the site does appear to be UK based. It's not in Russia.

on-line pharmacies

I've not used them personnally but www.docmorris.com are very popular in Holland & Germany
Recently they won a court case in Germany where some pharmacy organisations wanted to prohibit them from operating, so one can be sure that they are a legitimate organisation.

Re: on-line pharmacies

If you poison yourself and/or your family by taking inappropriate medication, I hope you won't then demand to have either the public medical system or VHI/BUPA insurance pay for the cost of your recovery.

How do you know that the medicine obtained is the real thing and not just a copy (or talc in a capsule!)?

How do you know that when you buy over the counter?

If you poison yourself and/or your family by taking inappropriate medication, I hope you won't then demand to have either the public medical system or VHI/BUPA insurance pay for the cost of your recovery.

You should work for the Pharmacists as a Lobbyist. That's brilliant stuff! Is it any different to poisoning yourself on over the counter drugs?

-Rd

You should work for the Pharmacists as a Lobbyist. That's brilliant stuff!

Are you being smart? :( If so, proves my point from an earlier post in another thread today:
there are plenty of good reasons why high prices are charged for certain goods or services...Whenever this is explained on these pages, people don't ever seem interested in hearing the reasons and regularly question the bona fides of the person giving the explanation.

Is it any different to poisoning yourself on over the counter drugs?
Yes it is. The dispensation of over the counter drugs is strictly regulated in this country. In general, potentially dangerous medicine can only be dispensed where accompanied by an appropriate standard of advice. Pharmacists and doctors are professionally and financially accountable for breaches of regulations and/or failure to observe good practice. Consumers are protected (both as consumers and as patients) by these laws, which also provide assurance as to the quality of the product being purchased. Afaik, no such accountability or recourse exists in relation to medicines bought or imported(perhaps illegally) off the web.

Are you being smart? If so, proves my point from an earlier post in another thread today:

I wasn't being smart I was being serious. The pharmacists were on the Radio talking about Boots this week and you sounded like you were singing off the same hymn sheet.
No offence intended.

-Rd

Hi daltonr
I didn't hear that interview but in general I think that the pharmacists have had a very protected existence in this country for several years so change (ie more competition) is inevitable. I still don't think that online pharmacies are the way to go.

?

If you go to the doctor and get prescribed medicine, what is the problem of getting it cheaper on the internet?

Doesn't it say on the prescription how much to take? (It doesn't say where you should purchase it)

Why should it be illegal?

Re: ?

For reasons of potential misuse and falling quality standards.

If you believe guns should be freely available for sale on the web, I am unlikely to convince you otherwise in relation to medicines. However the principle in the same.

Re: ?

Tommy,

That's a very interesting way of putting it.
Of course someone with a gun is far more likely to hurt others than themselves. Someone with medication is far more likely to hurt themselves than others.

It's an important distinction.

-Rd

"Boots -the NOT Chemists"

Hi DaltonR

Someone with medication is far more likely to hurt themselves than others.

I wonder...? I saw some statistic that an alarming proportion of gun fatatlities and injuries in the US are accidental or self inflicted.

Also less regulation of pharmacies might lead to people engaging in "selling on" drugs thus harming others.

As an aside I notice that our new "Boots -the NOT Chemists" here in Tralee does not have a prescription counter. What next the "Pub with no Beer"!

Ajapale

Sean, are you suggesting that there is not an active trade in counterfeit goods in Ireland, UK or States (not just Russia). Fake perfumes with Brand name packaging are available in markets in Dublin.

My experience is that I buy prescription drugs every second month from UK and US websites (cost driven). I ensure I use a secure site and one that gives a contact address as well as e-mail address. Have not had any problems and know I am obtaining "the real thing" because they work. The reason I have used a number of sites is that these websites regularly close down (and reincarnate under other names, I know this from the confirmation e-mails). This is suspicious in itself.

The other thing I have noticed is without exception drugs are never shipped from UK or US. Its usually Pakistan.

I will continue to purchase drugs on-line, but have concerns. For instance I was once sent the wrong drug (could people make mistakes and use an incorrect drug, possibly), I returned a got right order without any problem and got a quick response to e-mail queries.

Re: .

I presume that by purchasing overseas you rule yourself out of the Govt DPS scheme which caps your expenditure on perscription drugs to around €70 per month.

QUOTE:"are you suggesting that there is not an active trade in counterfeit goods in Ireland, UK or States"

No, not at all. Personally speaking I'm just very wary of purchasing anything from Russia.

Personally I also purchase medication from overseas; India in fact. I pay about 100 Euro. Ordinarily one would have to pay well over 1,000 Euro if purchased here.

Ordinarily one would have to pay well over 1,000 Euro if purchased here.

This is not true. The drug payment scheme limits your liability to €78 per month, or €936 per annum. So you would never have to may more than €1k per annum on perscription drugs.

Explain more, Sean. The DPS covers all medication.

Back