Plastering

almo

Does anyone know what the price would be of a plastering job in Ireland? Is it in square metres or for the whole job?

Don't know if this will be of much help, but we recently paid €13,800 for plastering for a 2100 sq.ft. bungalow, inside and out. This didn't include materials. Our architect reckoned this was a pretty fair price.

Thanks Berlin, 2100feet I think is about 210m2, that does sound good. I was quoted something in that region for a house here before, but how much were materials?

There is a rather odd system in operation by the vast majority of plasterers whereby they calculate the price of a job by the sq footage of the property. Regardless of how much area of wall there may actually be within, the rate is around the 6 to 7 euro mark, per sq ft.
The correct and obvious way is to take a linear, (inclusive of all windows and doors) measure of every wall surface within the house and times this by the wall height, say 2.7mtrs, this gives you an exact square metre count of all wall surfaces to be plastered and with the floor area accounting for ceilings sq mtr you have your total areas.
Most plasterers can not even plaster let alone capable of measureing a job in the correct manner.
Rates vary but float and set ( render and skim coat) €14.... (€8 + €6) per sq mtr
Ceiling board skim €7.per sq mtr
Externally dependant on the complexeties therein.
Theese are not Dublin rates.

Hi

Just wondering if anyone would know recent 'going rates' for plastering - labour only.

Internal options appear to be:
(a) sand & cement and skim
(b) slab/dryline & skim
(c) skim only

Thanks!

Hi

Just wondering if anyone would know recent 'going rates' for plastering - labour only.

(b) slab/dryline & skim
(c) skim only

Thanks!
Be a bit more specific re heights, thicknesses, angles, openings etc.

Hi

(b) slab/dryline & skim
(c) skim only

Thanks!
My exterior plastering is costing me €5400 labour only, 2500 Sq Ft house.
I have been quoted from €9 to €11 per square metre for the interior, again labour only. With 250 8'x4' boards thats about €8000. I have heard rumours that there are Polish plasterers that do interior skimming for €4.50 per sq metre but I havent located them yet.

(a) sand & cement and skim - I have been quoted €15 per square metre (Labour only)
(b) slab/dryline & skim - first quotation was €12 per square metre (Labour only)
(c) skim only - first quotation was €8 per square metre (Labour only)

Externally, for either a nap or wet dash finish, I have been quoted, labour only price of €15 per square metre.

Plasterer didn't differentiate between corners, ceiling heights etc. He just gave me a flat rate.

I wouldnt say that most plasterers cant plaster. The reason they dont always charge per meter is because some buildings and rooms can be more arkward than others so they instead go by intuition and the amount of time it would take, how far the mixer is away , how straight the walls are etc. Remember plasterers have to cover up every other trade and like other professions not everybody is perfect.
Its easy to give plasterers a bad image as they cant go home in the evening looking like bank workers .

Pudser, if these are for a standard house, then you've got a decent price. What I meant about being more specific was, some houses have lots of windows/doors, beams, splayed angles etc., all of which add to the labour costs.

got a quote yesterday for our three storey house (just under 3,000 sq feet) and a garage (25ft x 33ft) for 13,000 euros (cash). this is to do internal and external of house and outside of garage.
i am in ireland this week sorting out the next stages of our build, builders are getting very competitive now if not a little desperate. also, building material suppliers now really prepared to offer fantastic reductions.

got a quote yesterday for our three storey house (just under 3,000 sq feet) and a garage (25ft x 33ft) for 13,000 euros (cash). this is to do internal and external of house and outside of garage.
i am in ireland this week sorting out the next stages of our build, builders are getting very competitive now if not a little desperate. also, building material suppliers now really prepared to offer fantastic reductions.

Thats a good price for sure.

Lorna, do you haggle with the building materials suppliers ? I tried it a couple of times but no joy. They seem stick to the 'computer price' + VAT.

13.5K Cash - sponge finish outside and insulated slab & skim inside. If we wanted a sand and cememt finish inside it would have cost an extra 2k.

House is 3 storey almost 3000sqft house and large garage external only sponge finish on garage.

Plastering materials are expensive so shop around - we are using McMahons, Water St. Cork, they offer 30 days credit and you can haggle somewhat whereas many others such as Cork builders providers will open an account for you when you give them 2K to stick in their bank a/c for the duration of your build!

Our materials for the inside including our insulated slabs cost us approx 13.5k not incl sand which is relatively cheap.

If you want any more info or the plasterers name let me know.

Birroc, absolutely yes to haggling with building suppliers. have knocked 2,100 euros of the cost of all the materials for our two roofs.
i will then have to purchase a small mountain of cosyboard and plasterboard, 2 staircases and the list goes on and intend pushing hard for heavy discounts. i have learnt a lot in the last week about haggling with suppliers and tradesmen.
i spent last week in longford and this week in cavan. plenty of builders gone bust and plenty anxious about finding work for this year so bearing in mind that i am losing out because of the poor sterling to euro exchange rate then i have to make it up somewhere else !

We paid €12.5k for 2700 sq ft house + garage. And they did a great job.
Don't just go for cheaper price, make sure you see some of their work before hiring. Its something that you're going to be looking at for a long time!

Back