Water stain on ceiling

johnnyg

Hi,

I have a water stain on my living room ceiling, there is a brown rim mark around it. Is there a way to remove this with out repainting. I remember when i moved into the house, there was a water mark on the ensuite and they used some spray to remove the stain. Would any one know is this still possible or have any one any other ideas.
Thanks

If the stain is a water stain nothing will remove it, the only recourse is to paint the affected area with a stain blocker (try Dulux "Sealapore" Alkali Resisting Primer) or an oil based paint like an undercoat may also work.

Carpenter,

I am faced with painting over a water stain on my hall ceiling. Will ordinary white emulsion not do the trick?

Why the need for
a stain blocker (try Dulux "Sealapore" Alkali Resisting Primer) or an oil based paint like an undercoat
Will the stain reappear using normal white emulsion?

The leak should be fixed- it was actually a toilet that overflowed and is now sorted so I had hoped that white emulsion would work.

A few hairline cracks have also appeared in the ceiling near the leak- what is the best way to deal with those?? Should I try Polyfill 'One Fill' ??

Thanks.

You need to paint over the stained area with an oil based paint I used some outdoor paint for this about two years ago Dulux weathershield ... the stain has never reappeared. If you use an ordinary water based paint the stain will just bleed through again. Concerning the cracks fill them with painters caulk, use a slightly wet sponge to work the caulk into the cracks and allow to dry the painters caulk is flexible when it dries and so decreases the risk of the crack reappearing.

[broken link removed]

Good Luck ;)

As Dobber22 suggests you must use an oil based paint over a water stain, although Dulux Weathershield is an water based acrylic formulation AFAIK so doesn't really fit the bill. If you don't want to purchase a purpose made stain blocker an oil based undercoat would do the job.

Carpenter

Do you think your wife and child would mind if I borrowed you for a week? :)

You have made a fantastic contribution to AAM since you first posted.

Thanks

Marion

Carpenter said:
As Dobber22 suggests you must use an oil based paint over a water stain, although Dulux Weathershield is an water based acrylic formulation AFAIK so doesn't really fit the bill. If you don't want to purchase a purpose made stain blocker an oil based undercoat would do the job.

I reckon the one I used must have been the solvent based one as it did the job and stain has never reappeared. Better to confirm that the paint is oil based when you buy though just to make sure ;)

ProductWalls Wood Metal Exterior Plastic Coverage per litre (M2)Drying time
Weathershield Smooth Masonry Paint (Water Based)Yes14-16 sq m2-4 hoursWeathershield All Seasons Masonry Paint (Solvent Based)Yes14-16 sq m1-2 hoursWeathershield Exterior Undercoat (Solvent BasedYes14-16 sq m2-4 hoursWeathershield Exterior High Gloss (Solvent Based) Yes16-18 sq m16-24 hoursDulux High Gloss (Solvent Based)YesYesYes16-18 sq m16-24 hoursDulux Undercoat (Solvent Based) YesYes14-16 sq m16-24 hoursDulux Woodsheen (Solvent Based) Yes25 sq m16

Marion said:
Carpenter

Thanks

Marion

Marion,

Be careful here. The words 'big time babysitting' spring to mind. :)

Sueellen.

And don't forget the aluminium paint - "it does what it says on the tin", covers the water stain completely never to return:D

Justsally

Marion said:
Carpenter

Thanks

Marion
Ha! Thanks Marion! However Mrs Carpenter says: "There are a few unfinished jobs around here that need doing, so get off that computer!"

Carpenter

Back