Moving to a country village only to find it populated by City People

ludermor

This thread has been split from the Best commuter town/village serving Dublin in the Location, Location forum.

''Any smugness detected in my original post is unintended, I'm simply delighted with where I live, as are my neighbours. The majority of whom are blow-in Dubs like me who have left what were once great areas but are now too built up, too expensive and only a shadow of the areas that justified the high prices in the first place''

I must thats a great incentive to move to the country, go to a once lovely local village and find it populated by dubs. I would be as sick as a dog.

Re: best commuter town

What, you'd rather it was full of narrow minded fools who presume that people from Dublin don't make good neighbours.
It's because of blow-in Dubs that a community like mine can survive as they bring business to the small village shops and their presence results in government spending on schools, health services and other facilities that make proper villages rather than those that consist of just one shop come post office and twelve pubs.
People move to the country for quality of life reasons and good neighbours are good neighbours irrespective of creed, colour, nationality or even, God forbid, whether someone is from Dublin or not.

Re: best commuter town serving Dublin

Whats wrong with villages that just consist of one shop come post office and 12 pubs? I think that is the ideal village to live in!!

Very defensive there altogether. I have nothing against dubs in general and im sure they can be good neighbours but you said that most of the village are blow-ins, what has happened to the natives?
Where have all these 'narrow minded fools' gone?
Many people in these villages have to move because of the influx of blow ins? While a move from the country may be a life choice, for country people it is their heritage. It is not as easy for someone from a country village to up and find another country village as they leave behind friends, family and businesses that have been there for generations. It is easier for someone from ballyfermot/finglas ( not picking on these places) to buy decent property and fair play to them but please dont dont pass it off as typical rurl village when it is full of city dwellers. Im sure you would be the first person to object if the farmer beside your house applies for 100 houses.

Re: best commuter town/village serving Dublin

Defensive, so when you said that you'd be sick as a dog to live in a village with Dubs in it you meant it in a positive way.
The narrow minded fools are still in the village along with the friendly and welcoming locals because surprisingly the Dubs didn't come along and perform some kind of ethnic cleansing. They simply bought houses, raised children and contributed to the community.
I'd like to see a quote where I tried to "pass it off as a typical rural village" (what is that anyway), a nice community based village yes and a city dweller who lives in a country village sounds like an oxymoron to me.
You also seem to think that its easier for a local in a country village where there is no development to get a home than for one who's village has development?
No, I'm afraid I can't see it, firstly the local in an undeveloped village has to move to get a job or find a new house. Whereas the local in a developed village can a) get in at the ground floor when the develpment starts and get the best positioned houses at the best prices and can b) benefit from the value of their parents house rising in value allowing them to finance their childrens home. Plus there's more chance of their child being able to get a job locally because the development in their village has been a boon to local business.
This isn't restricted to country villages circling Dublin, it's also around Cork, Galway and any big towns where business growth and development have seen a shift in population outwards.
Why would I object if the farmer next to me (and there is at least one) applies to build a further 100 houses, as long as there village can support the extra people they should feel free to apply. In fact, I've just remembered, one did and there are over 200 new houses that went up unopposed by me.

icantbelieve said:
What, you'd rather it was full of narrow minded fools who presume that people from Dublin don't make good neighbours.

I thought you were implying that Ludomor was the narrow minded fool. No??

I for one am all on for blow in's be them dub's or culchies to the small seaside village I grew up in. I have always wanted to move back to my hometown / village but lack of housing was the main problem, Existing properties in the area rarely go up for sale, are quite large and therefore expensive, there's now 3 new developments under construction, the local village main street has been redeveloped, theres new shop's pubs and restaurants ....and im hoping to purchase in the spring:)

did you tell us where you live yet?????? im guessing its a seaside village in the north dub / south louth area

My point exactly Molly.

Redbhoy I wasn't implying Ludomor was a narrow minded fool, I was providing a label for anyone of the opinion that having Dubs living in your neighbourhood automatically devalues it or don't you think that such generalisations are narrow minded and foolish?
I wouldn't dare assume or imply anything of Ludomor until I knew Ludomor's opinion for certain either way. But I think that had the word Dub been replaced by others used to generalise sections of society then "narrow minded" and "foolish" would have been mild terms to apply.
Thankfully another thing that makes my village worth living in is that people of that opinion either don't exist or don't openly express their hostility.

I can't stand it when people from rural areas complain about Dublin/ outside people moving into their areas and pushing up the price of housing which prices out the locals.
I grew up in south Dublin where every second house is now owned by someone who came from outside Dublin. The increase in property prices locally has forced out most of the people I grew up with. They now live in places like Lucan and Swords and towns and villages in the outer commuter belt.
They don't complain they accept that every citizen should have equal access to housing anywhere in the country. Most of the country blow-ins that I know who now live in Dublin would be against Dublin people buying, or particularly building, in their native areas. Go figure...

Purple said:
I can't stand it when people from rural areas complain about Dublin/ outside people moving into their areas and pushing up the price of housing which prices out the locals.

Prices increased further by the locals taking advantage of the increase in value of their own property taking on further debt and buying 2nd and 3rd properties and further pushing up the property prices themselves, thereby condeming their very own kids to be living out in Lucan.

Does anyone details of people who moved to the east of Ireland during the famine in Ireland - is there a record of people who made the move - I understand that land was give to people free to the people who made the moved from the west to the east Ireland. Is this corrected?

Hi Roy,

There was general migration from the West to the East during the famine but I reckon this was dwarfed by the numbers who emmigrated to GB,USA and Australia. It is interesting to note that most of the emmigrants settled in the cities.

The "free land" you mentioned refers to a more recent (1950's, 60's and 70s) social experiment where farmers in "congested districts" in the west of Ireland were given land in the East of the Country. I think Mary Harneys people were part of this migration. Her family migrated from East Galway to rural south Dublin. The land left behind was divided amount the remaining farmers giving them more viable holdings.

aj

Thanks for that aj, I was asking because my great grandparents came up to the East during famine but do not know how to trace them back to that time.

The 'free land' I would have though that it was much earlier than that but of course I could be wrong!

Back