Another loophole? Sell before 31 Dec 13 and avoid LPT

Brendan Burgess

Founder
There was a solicitor on Joe Duffy yesterday claiming a new loophole.

This applies to people who owned the house on 1 November 2013 but who sell it before 31 Dec 2013. As of now, they are liable for the full LPT for 2014.

I have no idea if it's valid or not. However, if I was selling, I would certainly be watching this one.

As reported by broadsheet.ie

Sub Section 5.2 says that, ‘A residential property won’t be deemed to be a relevant residential property where the property has been vacated by the liable person for a period less than 12 months.’
“It doesn’t specify if that period is one day, or one hour – it just says less than 12 months – and where a GP is satisfied that that person is unlikely to resume occupation of that property, provided that the property is not occupied by another person.

It’s an interpretation of this section, because it’s very loose, because the rest of the section is in terms of a person who has a long term mental or physical infirmity, which is Section 5.2A Sub Section 1, but there’s no link between Sub Section 1 and Sub Section 2 – so you can read Sub Section 2 in its entirety as a stand-alone sub section.3

So, therefore, if somebody sells their property tomorrow and goes to their doctor and says, ‘I’ve sold my property, I’ve given my keys to them, I’ve got the money in my bank account, I’m never going to live there again.’ – and their doctor is satisfied that that is the case, and that the new owner hasn’t immediately resumed occupation of the property – say a couple of days’ grace, moving stuff out, or builders, or whatever, their GP, if they certify that that person won’t be resuming occupation, that person has complied with Section 5.2A, Sub Section 2, that the property is not going to be a relevant residential property and therefore, they are not liable for the tax.”

I heard her, she made a very good case for a different interpretation of the particular section of the rules claiming they had not linked correctly the qualifying criteria for exemption to the illness of the owner.

Be very interesting to see if this would work, I'm sure Joe will have further on it today.

I don't know who drafted it or what Govt agency, if any, they're employed by, but for me it boils down to the government steamrolling the entire thing through to please the Troika - these kind of messes are what will happen when the implementation of anything is rushed.

It's like giving someone 5 minutes to hardboil an egg - and now it's all over everyone's faces...!

Didn't realise this was rushed by the government, I thought it took years to get his legislation.

The legislation was guillotined in the Dáil so most of it was never discussed in detail. Hence the current mess. Off topic, I fully expect that the "5am Dáil Bar" abortion legislation will end up causing similar problems.

We are selling a house, closing date 29 November. An apportionment agreement had been signed to cover the LPT we are liable for. As a result of the recent controversy our solicitor now informs us that this agreement is now void. My query is, as the law has not changed (just the loophole highlighted), is it right that my agreement has been voided? What will happen to the people who bought properties between May and December and are honouring such apportionment agreements? Will they get their money back and from whom?

Back