Overpaid wages from bank

davidcullet

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if anyone would have any information if I'm liable for a mistake my employer's bank made regarding my wages.

I am no longer with this employer and we do not share the same bank that is looking for the money. I received a letter today 19/04/13 from my employer's bank to state that last September the bank made a processing error and had paid my wages every 5 days instead of every 7 days over a period last year.

I had left employment with the company when I recieved a call from my previous employer stating that the bank had made a mistake and were looking for my information so I told my employer not to give out my personal information to anyone as I do not even bank with them yet somehow the bank has managed to get my information 7 months later and I don't even know how they did that. They havn't even spelt my name correctly on the letter they sent and they are requesting that I come to an arrangment to repay them the money. I was not aware this was happening at the time and believe this is no fault of mine.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dave.

A number of years ago, (quite a few), something similar happened, where the bank made an incorrect transfer, challenged the customer, who refused and took them to court and won. Bummer, but the law is the law.

Mercman is absolutely correct. You are 100% liable to return the funds. This has happened on a number of occasions (that I know of) and there is no 'get out of jail free card'. It is, of course, "no fault of mine" as you said, but that does not mean in any way, shape of form that the money is yours. Your best option (= only option) is to repay the money, as you arrange with the bank. Or start saving for the legal costs.

You did not earn the money and have no entitlement to it, even banks are allowed to make a mistake, you are not really giving something back as you should not have had it in the first place.

That said do the best deal you can for yourself and negotiate with the Bank.

The general principle is that you owe the bank the money and should repay it.

I received a letter today 19/04/13 from my employer's bank to state that last September the bank made a processing error and had paid my wages every 5 days instead of every 7 days over a period last year.

This is very odd. I find it hard to see how the bank could do this. It's more like an error by your employer. How many other employees were affected?

If you are able to repay it in one lump, you should do so.

If not, you should agree to repay it over a period which suits you.

Brendan

So,on the 2 weeks out of 5 where you got 2 wage packets,you didn't think to inform your employer?

Back