No access to a cheque book. Would a bank draft suffice? and related issuses.

coleman

Sorry, in advance, but this might be a silly question.

What if one does not have access to a cheque book. Would a bank draft made out to the financial institution suffice?

Thanks,
Coleman

I learned today that BoI no longer process Interpay (Sterling) transfers from business accounts for sums less than €3,000. The only way for me to transfer money to a UK account is now by ordering a Sterling draft, which costs €17.50 regardless of the sum.

I think it's increasingly the case that if it doesn't make them enough profit and isn't obligatory under law, the banks will withdraw more and more services from their ordinary customers.

For personal banking I now use An Post for any cash FX transactions and Currencyfair for FX transfers. Both at far better rates/lower commission than any of the banks. I'm beginning to think I should just do without a current account altogether; if UB introduce quarterly fees next July that'll probably seal it for me. Why should I pay a bank to do little more than keep my money on deposit at 0% interest?

My credit union now has excellent online banking facilities, for both incoming and outgoing payments - now if only they had a bloody ATM...

Back