Cost of Rewiring 3 bed 1960s semi-detached

V

Vorga

Hi,
Please bear with me as this is the first time I have posted on Askaboutmoney.com. I need to get a 1960s 3 bed semi-detached rewired, also put immersion in working order as it activates the trip switch. I have looked at some of the postings dealing with this subject and my query is if I didn't want to get the walls "chased", but box in the wiring is
this possible and would someone be able to give me a ballpark figure. I am trying to do some costings for a number of issues with the property, but this one is on the urgent list!!

Glad of any input, thanks.

If you don't get the walls chased everything will have to be surface mounted and in my opinion that is an ugly option.You can get lads in that will do the chasing in a day for €200-€300 or even less depending on the work involved. As for rewiring the house I reckon you could get it done for around €3000-€4000 but I recommend you shop around you can check the RECI or ECSSA websites for reliable contractors. Hope this helps.

I think replacing surface mounted wiring with surface mounted wiring is a false economy. It will add little if any value to your property, whereas a full rewiring will add value. You will also be able to tailor your outlets to your requirements - many older houses don't have enough power points for modern life - and this will also add value to your property.

You don't say if you are currently living in the property, but if you aren't then definitely get the wiring chased - it is a nightmare job of job and you wouldn't be able to have any of your furniture or belongings in the house while it is being done. It is well worth getting it out of the way before you, or any furniture, moves in.

Whatever else you do, make sure you get a fully RECI compliant electrician to do the job....

Thank you so much for your replies - I have already moved into the house :eek: and I take the point that surface wiring is ugly but as I am on a really, really restricted budget I was going for this option. I will get estimates for both options my main concern is safe wiring as opposed to what I have at the moment. Again, thanks to all who replied. Much appreciated.

Back