Home What % discounts on house insurance for alarm.

SlugBreath

If I have a fully monitored house alarm what is the % discount I get on my home insurance premium?
If I have a non monitored house alarm what is the % discount I get on my home insurance?
If I have a bog standard house alarm and not is199 standard what is the % discount on my home insurance premium?

My house alarm needs to be replaced and I am beginning to wonder are they really worth having.

It varies from insurer to insurer. But generally the cost of it outweights the discount. You are looking at between 7.5% and 15% depending on your alarm. I have an alarm and don't tell the insurance company. Because if it isnt maintained and you don't turn it on whenever you leave the house there will be no cover in the event of a theft claim.

I just got an alarm in, when my house was built 18 years ago. I didn't sign any contract for maintenance etc and it worked just fine. Probably saved about €100 per annum in not having it serviced so it has paid for itself in the savings made. It started giving gip last year and would start ringing intermittently. I disconnected the battery inside the house.
It probably just needs a good service at this stage and it will be right as rain. I am just weighing up the pros and cons of a house alarm and whether it is worth having one at all. My house insurance is about €500 per annum. Probably saving about €50 per annum by having a house alarm.
Personally I think that house alarms are more of a nuisance in the long run.

Back