AIB Increase Minimum Fees for ATM Withdrawls Abroad by 57%

As per the best buys thread ...

AIB have increased the currency commission fee minimum to 2.00 EUR from 1.27 EUR (a 57% Increase) for non EUR cash ATM withdrawals, with Visa Debit, from 1 September 2012 with Visa Debit cards.

AND (you pay both)

AIB have standarised their currency conversion fee at 2.50% for all currencies rather than a variable fee like before. This will typically mean that you will pay more in conversion fees unless you travel to a 'far flung' country.

Overall, it would seem that customers, will typically now, pay a lot more to get money out of a bank account while abroad, if they are with AIB.

Thanks.

The new AIB fee hikes apply with Visa Debit cards from 1 September 2012 and not with Laser cards.

All customer will have Visa Debit cards later in 2012.

They also have very low maximum withdrawal limits on their debit cards outside Europe (used be as little as €100, although they told me they have raised it now to €200) so you will have to pay that commission pretty often. I am in Asia the last two years and it has basically made my AIB debit card unusable.

Thankfully I have an old AIB credit card on which I pay 2.75% with no other fees if it is in credit, and a reasonable max withdrawal (around €650.)

Will this rate change apply to the credit cards or is it just the debit ones?

ciaran t ,, do you know when in 2012 aib are going to issue visa debit cards, and are laser cards being done away with altogether, thank you .

Yeah, Laser is going altogether. All 5 retail banks are ditching Laser.

AIB are phase-introducing Visa Debit up to 31 December 2012 according to their website.

Ciaran, if I put money onto my Visa credit card and use that at the ATM abroad on holidays, are the charges high on that do you know?

thanks

M

Back