Washing machine - poor after sales service

elainem

I bought a good brand of washing machine in April. A month later it started to leak, and is now not able to wash anything at all due to water leakage.

I telephoned the service dept that deals with this brand. They said they would have a service engineer contact me within three days.

I had some calls one day from a blocked number, so I couldn't ring back - apparently it was the washing machine engineer/repair man. I rang the service dept next day and they put me through to him. He said he was in my area that morning. I explained that I couldn't be there as I worked 10 miles away and couldn't just up and leave my job, but that if he had given me a text/call the night before, I could have arranged for a neighbour to be there. The engineer appeared quite non-plussed about txting me/letting me know the night before.

I rang the service dept the following day, and the manager emailed me to say he would tell the engineer to txt me the night before he was going to be here. However, neither the manager nor the service staff, nor the engineer know when he is going to be in the area again, i.e. whether it willl be next week or the week after.

The service staff informed the managers that I was not happy with this - we have no washing machine for 9 days now - I was told the manager would ring me back this afternoon, but got no call.

Is this normal after sales service - particularly for new products that are still under warranty?

Is there anything I can do about this?

I too have a good brand washing machine and have found after sale service dreadful. I have been without a washing machine for 3 weeks at times. It is disgraceful that it takes so long. But the problem is the company that make the washing machine have the work contracted out and the same company also have the service contract for even more expensive washing machines (I wonder if they have a quicker service for them... but I doubt it)

Why are you dealing with the service dept.??
Go back to the retailer, it is they who are responsible, and demand that it be repaired/replaced/ monies refunded ASAP.
DO NOT be fobbed off if they say it is you who has to deal with the manufacturer.

Why are you dealing with the service dept.??
Go back to the retailer, it is they who are responsible, and demand that it be repaired/replaced/ monies refunded ASAP.
DO NOT be fobbed off if they say it is you who has to deal with the manufacturer.

+1.

Have you your receipt for the year warranty offered? Pop into shop in person. A leaking washing machine is very dangerous when mixed with electricity. My own Hotpoint, expensive top of the range model leaked after 3 yrs and 3 months. I replaced it with the cheapest special offer I could fine, Zanzussi which is excellent still. Id love to know the brand of yours.

Good luck with it, I know I couldn't manage more than a few days with no washing machine.

Demand a replacement from the retailer. Your entitled to this. Trust me on this one - I've worked in this area for years.
Once the retailer is informed they might try to fob you off saying its the maufacturers issue - wrong. Your contract is with the retailer - end of. Be bold, brash and accept no alternative unless you are willing to comprimise. But be firm and have all your facts to hand. Good luck.

Back