Greyhound taking over Dublin City Council waste collection

circle

From January 16th Greyhound will be taking over the waste collection service in Dublin City Council:
[broken link removed]

The Annual Service Charge has to be paid in full, within 30 days from Monday 16th January, and then all collections are dependant on having credit in your account with greyhound. Prices remain the same for six months.

We should be recieiving a letter from greyhound by Friday.

Hi Circle

I got my letter yesterday.

I stayed with the City Council rather than move to Panda as I felt it was the right thing to do. I want my waste to be incinerated rather than landfilled.

Have you any idea why Greyhound were chosen?

Have they committed to send the waste to the incinerator when it is built?

Brendan

Sue Ellen

That is great thanks.

I could not figure out the documents from Greyhound and now I see that nobody else can either. I rang them but kept doing circles of the "Press 1 for more information on charges" thing. It's astonishing that they won't actually answer their phones at a time of great change like this.

I will probably switch to Panda. I am amazed though that Panda are not out canvassing us hard. (Or maybe they are and are respecting my "no junk mail and no sales people" notice)

Brendan

Not that I care too much who is picking up the bins, but you have to pay upfront for all collections according to the website. They only picking up your trash if you have a surplus on the account. Don't like that.

I presume that Panda has a similar scheme. I don't really blame them given the reluctance of so many people to pay household charges and the cost of credit control.

Brendan

I got my letter today and it's the first I heard of the change. I think Dublin City Council have handled this very badly. They should have wrote to all the households they look after and explained what they were doing.

How are we supposed to know it's legit if DCC do not 'introduce' us to our new service provider? I deal with things like this in work, especially in this climate where companies are factoring their debts to third parties and I would NEVER accept the word of the third party alone. I insist that our supplier puts it in writing for us etc.

This could be a scam especially as they are asking us to pay upfront. I hate the idea of paying upfront. I don't mind direct debit but I shouldn't have to pay for a service I may or may not use.

The letter also makes it sound like it's a done deal. That Greyhound is your only choice. What is niggling me about it is that I have to pay an annual charge upfront but they have only committed to keeping the lift charges as is for 6 months so you are at their mercy for the other 6 months unless you forgo half of your annual charge.

Does anyone know who the alternatives are? I live in Dublin 13 if it helps.

DCC have been collecting my refuse (bags) and Greyhound the green bags to date. Never got any letter about any changes and today the green bags were left uncollected.

You're lucky. The first I heard about it was reading the paper over the week-end. Apparently the transition would be "seamless" according to the council. Ha! I thought, as I put the bin out for collection last night. With good justification it turned out. No bin collected. No notice from anyone. Check the Web site. Only then do I find out about the pre-pay. Tried to pay: you can’t without a payment card! Tried calling. No answer (you should count yourself lucky to get even a machine voice “press 1 to…”). Also, it seems collection day has now moved to Thursday (seamless, remember?). What do you think my chances of getting this sorted by then are????

Listeners to a popular RTE afternoon radio phone in show were very irate on this topic. They were scathing in their condemnation of Maureen O'Sullivan TD for not notifying them of changes to their refuse collection!!

Podcast available here http://www.rte.ie/radio1/liveline/

You can contact you city councillors here

[broken link removed]

Panda are not taking on new customers for a few months according to a caller on Liveline. Are they waiting for a High Court decision on whether or not DCC can restrict the right to collect to one company?

If I pay €100 up front now to Greyhound, does it mean that if I change to Panda in the meantime, I lose the money spent?

Alternative to Greyhound

Thorntons is another waste collector in Dublin and as far as I know they don't have a standing charge so you only pay for the bin lifts. They are a bit more than Greyhound at €7.50 I think for the grey bin but at least no annual standing charge to pay.

You would think privatisation of waste services was new.
Other Counties and Towns have had private services for up to 20 years.
Consumers have a choice.
In Mayo the year before privatisation the Co. Co. charge was €365 per annum for a single bin.
After privatisation the rate dropped to under €300 euro and a 2 bin system was introduced and almost 10 years later it is still about €300.
Welcome dubliners to the private unsubsidised market.
Shop around.

Thorntons is another waste collector in Dublin and as far as I know they don't have a standing charge so you only pay for the bin lifts. They are a bit more than Greyhound at €7.50 I think for the grey bin but at least no annual standing charge to pay.

There appears to be a €50 annual fee with Thorntons - see here

Option 1 - Pay by Lift - Payments Card

Under this system the customer will pay an annual service charge of €50. After this the customer will only pay for their black and brown bin collections at a fixed price per lift. The Green Recycling bin collection is free of charge.

Well I've decided to go ahead and give them a chance, despite hearing about problems in Phibsoboro yesterday with bins going uncollected.

Got the letter yesterday, paid today, collection is due Friday (a change from the DCC collection day).

We'll see what happens.

Update to message above: bin collection was Monday with DCC, now apparently it's Thursday with Greyhound, but they actually collected today (Tuesday, last time I checked). Go figure.

And to Ryan, above: yes, us city folk have heard of privitised bin collection. My complaint is that nobody bothered to tell me it was happening here, and when it did total chaos seems to be the order of the day.

Well I've decided to go ahead and give them a chance, despite hearing about problems in Phibsoboro yesterday with bins going uncollected.
Green bins by any chance? I'm not far from Phibsboro and the powers that be (DCC or Greyhound) decided not to bother collecting the green bins/bags this week as per the last calendar we were sent and the place is a mess.

Just got the invoice letter from Greyhound tonight. I think this is disgusting. Access waste is not accepting dublin customers until the spring. Panda, CityBin and Thorntons don't collect in my area (Raheny). Where is the choice? Who votes for these county council councilors and lets them act with impunity.

Back