Go safe camera van - Do you flash other road users as a warning?

A

Alicec

Why do so so few drivers give a warning to oncomeing vehicles when they pass a hidden camera van??:(
I always flash my lights to oncoming drivers after i pass one:)
Sorry to be sexist but i have yet to see a female driver give me a warning flash :p

I'm always glad to get a warning of upcoming checkpoints etc, especially when I've had a few too many after work

I laway thought it was illegal to give such warnings and if the Gardai saw it, they could prosecute you.

Also, there are some muppets on the roads that really need to be caught, fined and hopefully put off the road, given the speed and manner in which they drive

I laway thought it was illegal to give such warnings and if the Gardai saw it, they could prosecute you.

Also, there are some muppets on the roads that really need to be caught, fined and hopefully put off the road, given the speed and manner in which they drive

What are the chances of a Garda spotting someone giving a warning???
Why are thes van always "hidden"?:mad:

Why are thes van always "hidden"?:mad:

Actually they are obliged by law to have a sign up warning that there is a possible speed camera up ahead

You must have been absolutely flying if you missed it

The Gardai have been known to set themselves up down the road looking for "flashers".

In my area these vans are usually positioned near bends in poor roads and any chance of exceeding the speed limit is usually stymied by slower drivers and tractors. No point flashing but I do and appreciate when others do also.

to the OP - maybe people are starting to realise that those who are breaking the law actually deserve to be caught .....

I heard of a case just recently where a do-gooder flashed a guy in a stolen car with the boot full of stolen property who u-turned and took off - guards spotted the u-turn and gave chase and were able to eventually arrest the fella, recover the stolen car and all the stolen property.

Why would this be illegal? The intention of flashing someone is to get them to slow down, isn't? So by doing this, you are preventing an offence.

I would have thought such an action should be commended.

i find it hard to know why someone wouldn't flash a warning! not only for camera vans or checkpoints , but also for things like livestock on the road ect. fore warned is fore armed.

I would flash to warn of an accident, animals on the road, etc. but not to warn oncoming traffic of a speed camera? If oncoming traffic is not speeding, why would they need to be warned of the camera!

Why would this be illegal? The intention of flashing someone is to get them to slow down, isn't? So by doing this, you are preventing an offence.
I would have thought such an action should be commended.

You are not changing an offender's behaviour of speeding, you are interfering in the system that would change their behaviour through fines or points.

What is the difference between flashing your lights to warn of a speed trap and being a lookout for someone robbing a shop?

You could of course flash your lights at everyone who is speeding to make them think that there is a speed trap ahead..........

On a serious note as a driver who covers over 100k a year and having witnessed the carnage that is caused when a speeding vehicle crashes or hits a child no i dont flash people never will and make no apologies for it

We all know it's a money game now, and they are catching people for a small amount over, and coming through 60 or 50 km signs, why should we not play their game?

If I know that there is a speed camera just ahead and someone is up my backside (cos I'm not going fast enough for them) then I like to slow right down and let them overtake me

You should never flash to alert drivers of checkpoints.
Some Garda checkpoints are set up under the guise of checking tax and insurance - they DO check this alright - but there is often another motive and that is to catch a suspect/stolen car.
I know this for a fact.
So if you flash to alert others about the checkpoint, you may alert a criminal.

If you're driving safely, within the limit and your car and yourself are in good steed, then you've nothing to hide.

If you still persist in flashing, mind you don't flash an unmarked Garda car.

You should never flash to alert drivers of checkpoints.
Some Garda checkpoints are set up under the guise of checking tax and insurance - they DO check this alright - but there is often another motive and that is to catch a suspect/stolen car.
I know this for a fact.
So if you flash to alert others about the checkpoint, you may alert a criminal.

If you're driving safely, within the limit and your car and yourself are in good steed, then you've nothing to hide.

If you still persist in flashing, mind you don't flash an unmarked Garda car.
if a suspect was in a stolen car, do you really think they are going to stop at a garda checkpoint!

Back