NPPR + €100 household rate for LLs??

Status
Not open for further replies.

L0llip0p

See article below

"ALMOST all households are set to be hit with a new €100 service charge to be announced this week, the Irish Independent has learned. There are 1.8 million households in the country and only about 10pc of homes -- between 150,000 and 200,000 -- will not have to pay the new tax.However, the tax will be payable by the property owner, meaning landlords will have to pay the bill and are therefore expected to pass on the costs to their tenants in higher rents. This provision will affect a host of social welfare recipients and low-income earners.
The collection of the household service charge is expected to follow the model of the tax on second homes, which is payable on the internet."

What the hell was the Non Principal Private Residence charge of €200 for if landlords are asking to pay a further €100 ??

Surely this is reported incorrectly? Any house which is rented would already be subject to the NPPR annual charge so I can't see how this could be right?

I'd say that landlords will be very lucky if the NPPR tax isn't jacked up as well in the next budget!!

True, but its worrying that its not an obvious exception to the €100 charge.

No smoke without fire etc...

So it looks like the Landlord carries the €100 charge! Why is it not called a service charge and applied to the occupant(s) like other utilities?

The NPPR Charge

The Local Government (Charges) Act 2009 introduces a €200 annual charge on non principal private residences, payable by the owners to the local authority in whose area the property concerned is located.

From http://www.nppr.ie

So landlords have been charged for owning a non principal residence.

I can't understand how they can re-levy on the same criteria?
€200 cos its not your home and €100 cos.....well just cos!!

Perhaps to avoid confusion, they'll just slap €100 a year levy against homeowners and up the NPPR to €300 for the other? Either way, I aint smilin.....

Interestingly on rte.ie it states following from interview with Mr Hogan
"He said he hoped it would be collected with the TV licence fee to reduce the nuisance to people."

The landlord doesnt pay the license fee. The tenants do as they use the TV etc so thats a bit confusing

TV licence fee ? I wonder if Mr Hogan has any idea how many tenants in apartments actually pay TV licence fees.

There are a few details here of the new Household Charge - but it should really be called Property Owner charge. It will be like NPPR - owners liable not occupiers and also self declaration.

Would it not have been far easier to just increase the NPPR or increase the 'rate/bins' charges rather than creating another charge with all the extra paperwork and time wasting and cost of creation and monitoring.

Would it not have been far easier to just increase the NPPR or increase the 'rate/bins' charges rather than creating another charge with all the extra paperwork and time wasting and cost of creation and monitoring.

The Household Charge will be paid by many more people than NPPR -
Also - - bin charges in many parts of the country are paid to private companies - so increasing them would not help local government funding.

I agree - for the sake of 160 million - it will probably cost 10's of millions to administer. When they bring in a full blown property tax it will cost millions to do the valuations and do the billing etc.

The Household Charge will be paid by many more people than NPPR -
Also - - bin charges in many parts of the country are paid to private companies - so increasing them would not help local government funding.

Yes you're right more people will pay it, how about then just slightly adjusting the NPPR website so everyone can pay it that way. That would be a low cost way of bringing it in.

Yes you're right more people will pay it, how about then just slightly adjusting the NPPR website so everyone can pay it that way. That would be a low cost way of bringing it in.
Is that not what they have already announced that they are doing? ie that it is to be administered by the Local Government Computer Services Board (LGCSB) who already look after the NPPR.

I see one of the exemptions is for homes in unfinished ghost estates.

How do you define a ghost estate?

I see one of the exemptions is for homes in unfinished ghost estates.

How do you define a ghost estate?

The exemption applies to "Those in certain category 3 and 4 unfinished housing estates (Estimated to be less than 400 estates) Category 3 is where a receiver has not been appointed and the developer is still in place but effectively inactive . Category 4 is where the development has been effectively abandoned and is posing serious problems for residents ."

from http://www.*****************.com/household-charge-property-tax-more-details.html

The thing that bugs me about the NPPR and now this 100 additional charge is not being able to write it off against the tax. it feels like double taxation.

So now that the €100 "household" charge has been announced in the budget, I'm still confused on whether or not I'll have to pay this €100 on top of the NPPR charge for my rented property in 2012.

I was listening to NewsTalk yesterday morning where the PWC advisor was distinguishing between non-principal residence charge and principal residence charge.

So by that logic, it would be €200 for non-principal and €100 on my home.

Anyone know if that's it or will we get squeezed for the extra €100 on the rental property too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back