Reccomend a good Kitchen company?

Bamhan

Can anyone reccomend a good kitchen company. I have been badly let down by my company I was dealing with and now want to try a different approach.
Has anyone used any of the budget chains such as Cash and Carry Kitchens etc.
I am based in Cork but if there is somewhere particularly good I have no problem with travelling.

I purchased our kitchen from Cash & Carry Kitchens last year, via the Mullingar outlet, my parents also replaced their kitchen around the same time and went with C&C also. I went for an oak shaker style kitchen and also got some units for a utility. The cost was about €3500, excluding fitting and appliances. I found the units to be of top quality manufacture, all carcasses are colour matched throughout, with all joints dowelled. The doors are solid hardwood and the fittings (hinges, handles, drawer runners etc) are all top quality by leading european manufacturers. I opted for their own sinks and taps, which are very serviceable (sinks are by Carron Phoenix) and much cheaper than a Franke but more than adequate. There was a small hiccup with an item that wasn't delivered but It was sorted easily enough. I have only one gripe, if I was ordering from them again (and I would) I wouldn't touch their laminate worktops ("Formica"). The laminate in the worktops (in common with most laminate tops now) is very thin and lets down the rest of the kitchen. If I were to do it again I'd probably go for stone/ marble and really set the whole thing off. I fitted the units myself and if you were thinking of doing the same or getting someone in to do it for you I'd recommend you put an extra pair of legs under the sink base units, to accommodate the extra weight from bin/ other stuff stored there. The design I went for had a "lazy susan" type carousel for food storage and this is a boon in the kitchen. In short I'd happily recommend the C&C K option if you're looking for a standard kitchen for a standard house. But if you were building a luxury house and wanted a flash kitchen to match you'd be better of going to a bespoke kitchen maker, as the C & C range is limited. That said I've got a kitchen that I love and couldn't have afforded otherwise. Also beware of the "Powerpoint" appliances that C & C K sell, not the best IMHO.

Hi Bamhan,
Welcome to AAM. Have you had a read of the key post on Kitchens from
AAM Homes and Gardens Key Posts.

I see my favourites are also located in Cork (P.S. No association).

Best of luck with the work.

Sueellen.

"I'd probably go for stone/ marble and really set the whole thing off".

Carpenter,

So would I if I won the lotto. They're very nice but pricey. Do you have a recommendation for anywhere reasonable to buy them and I can add it to the key post on Granite Worktops? :)

I don't know of any personally, but I do remember seeing a recommendation elsewhere on AAM for a supplier in Monaghan (if memory serves me correctly) that would supply and deliver to Dublin very keenly.

Yeah, I'd second the above about Cash & Carry, recently got one from the Sandyford shop, they were better than the likes of panelling centre etc. in being more willing to work within our strict budget and suggesting space-saving options we hadn't thought of. Although, as with Carpenter's experience, they did omit one unit and sent one of a different colour/size instead, but it was no prob sorting that.

So far we're happy with the countertop, solid wood would have added another 50% onto the cost of the kitchen, which is just too much.

BTW I think the laminate counter is fine if you treat it with some bit of care, but it won't tolerate any abuse from a sharp knife and I wouldn't put it in a rental property where it may not be treated so well.

I found [broken link removed] to be excellent, very professional and attentive to detail, if a little expensive.

aj

Back