Private Health Insurance, how are private rooms in Public Hospitals allocated?

STEINER

I have private health insurance with Quinn and am undergoing chemotherapy at the moment in a public hospital.

Up to a month ago I had a private room however, after a brief spell at home, I have now returned for more chemo and am in a general ward.

All the private rooms were full on my return but I was told I will be moved to a private room when one becomes available.

However today a former patient returned for treatment, exactly like myself, and is now enjoying the privacy of a private room ahead of me.

I plan to speak with the bed allocation department but am wondering what advice anybody can give me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the other patient have a different consultant? Are there any issues surrounding infection control?

Private Room

I am not sure if we share the same consultant. Regarding the infection issue, I suspect my infection control would be more serious in that the guy in the private room will begin chemo shortly and I have just finished. It is over the next 10 days that my blood counts will drop leaving me open to infection until they rise again. As I type this the visitor at the next bed to me is coughing continuously ....

Steiner, I would imagine that the other patient more than likely is an MRSA or other superbug carrier. Such patients are prioritised over private patients, two of such patients in a unit can severly curtail single rooms for private patients. I do hope that you will get one soon.

It is quite possible that the new patient has some connection with someone working in the hospital!! When you inquire I bet you will be told that they have a clinical/nursing need. sorry but that is reality. Keep pushing though. Slim

It wouldn't surprise me at all.

I have been to public hospitals in the past and have requested private rooms as I had VHI. They will invariably say that they don't have any private rooms. But a quick stroll down the halls reveals a different story. Empty private rooms. No doubt these are reserved for friends of staff etc.

Alot of the time when dealing with public hospitals health insurance is a complete waste of money.

It is quite possible that the new patient has some connection with someone working in the hospital!! When you inquire I bet you will be told that they have a clinical/nursing need. sorry but that is reality. Keep pushing though. Slim

And what makes you so certain that they don't have a clinical/nursing need?

Back