Issue for motorists using Parkingtag.ie

Troy McClure

I have a parkingtag whereby you can phone or text to pay for on street parking. I find it really annoying that if I pay by text, they send you an unsolicited reminder 10 minutes before parking expires, and charge you 20c for this text. Even though I didn't ask for or want a reminder I have no choice but to receive it and pay for it.
If you pay by telephone call you can avoid it. You would think that by using the automated system it would be cheaper than having to phone another person, taking up both of our time, just to do what could be done with a text to a computer. Texting is easier for everyone and is more discreet if you are in a meeting or working, so why charge or even bother to remind you?.
Why are Dublin city council allowing a company it contracts to charge for a service that people may not want but have no choice in getting? I dont want to receive a text reminder I know when its expired, surely I should have a choice. The customer service of this parkingtag company are atrocious and just say it's in the T&C just call instead.. ingenious.

Reply with a text of your own saying STOP and you shouldn't get them ever again.

That would work with sales & marketing texts, but from my reading of the original post, this seems to be a service text so it wouldn't be subject to the legal requirements. It seems to be more similar to texts from a company saying your bill is in the post or the like.

Troy, I'm not familiar with the Parkingtag process, so I had a look on their website, and to be fair to the company, they make it clear in the FAQ that the text reminder is automatic and the charge is 20 cent. The reminder feature is very useful, as it cuts down on the amount of people saying they forgot when the parking tag was going to expire etc, which in turn reduces visits from the clampers.

Given that there is a charge though, I agree that the reminder should be optional. You should talk to your local councillor about the issue and ask them to bring the matter up. The company are correct in saying that you have other options, so if it was me, I'd put it forward as service improvement, reducing costs for cash-strapped motorists in a time of recession, etc, etc.

When you set up the account online it gives you the option to not get texts. You can also change the settings online:

You'll then get a table showing your mobile number, SMS reminder and car reg.

Just click on SMS reminder and change the setting there. You've three choices, always, never or ask.

I done that with the online opt out thinking it would sort it. It took the directive giving the impression that it would sort it. Later on a statement I noticed I was still getting charged. Then I call their CS and was told I cant opt out that it's in the T&C that I have no choice if I want to pay by text.

The reminder feature may be usefull in the context that no one can say they should have been reminded when they are clamped. But only after they opt out would this then be an issue. I am diligent enough to look after my own car and parking. Anyway if this is the ethos what reminder do phone call payers get? none!

I must not be making this clear. You have no choice but to purchase these reminders sent to you. You cant cancel them. It's in the T&C if you want to pay by text.

I must not be making this clear. You have no choice but to purchase these reminders sent to you. You cant cancel them. It's in the T&C if you want to pay by text.

I have the option of them asking each time whether they send the reminder and when I say don't send, they never do. It might be more of a set up thing with your account at their end.

Plus I tend to call in the payment rather than text, I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

I have the option of them asking each time whether they send the reminder and when I say don't send, they never do. It might be more of a set up thing with your account at their end. Plus I tend to call in the payment rather than text, I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

Good grief. Won't anyone read the OPs post?

If you pay by telephone call you can avoid it.

Good grief. Won't anyone read the OPs post?

And the first bit of my post was about when I do text, I get asked whether I want a reminder and when I decline I don't get one. Which was why I mentioned it may be an account setting issue.

I think you may be mxing calling with texting. If not double check your statement. Again, I switched off the text reminder when I logged in. But after still getting text reminders I called them and was told 'you have no choice when you pay by text'. You only turn them off for when you pay by phone by clicking 'never' when logged in.

Who in DCC would be over this company anybody know?

Back