Googling preference

stobear

I do quite a bit of my googling in the .co.uk domain. Wanting to broaden my search to US site I chose the .com domain, but the results are primarily from co.uk domains. I think google 'knows' my preferance and my tracks, but how I get google to 'forget' previous paths trod? Would a simple erase cookies/cache do the trick

Re: Googling preferance

Note that Billynomates has included /ncr at the end of the link (although not visible). so while the link will work if you want google.com i.e non UK, you type www.google.com/ncr

Re: Googling preferance

This (biased) site has lots to say about Google's cookies.

The purpose of the unique ID is to record your search terms for present or future profiling. Google says that the cookie is needed to set preferences. At the CIA, Google's cookie story would be termed a cover story, because the unique ID is completely superfluous for this function, even when the rest of the cookie is used to do this. In fact, you can set preferences without any sort of cookie at all.

Did you ever set your Google preferences such that it's restricting what's returned? And you're sure that you're not confusing this with the way that Google figures out where you are connecting from and selects the relevant local site (e.g. most Irish ISPs - google.ie, UTV - google.co.uk) even though this does not, in itself, restrict search results to these domains?

I think that's whats happening - but AFAIK if he types the link including the ncr bit it will not filter the results?

Back