Plasma or LED,or LCD

Optimistic

Hi. Our old TV has died and we are looking at a Panasonic 37 inch plasma, model number- txp37 x 20 L seen for sale in TV Soundstore in Cork for 599 euros. It is supposed to be a new model.
I called into our local electrical store and was asking him about them. He said that the day for plasma and LCD TV's is going and they are now being replaced with LED.
Can anyone advise please on what is the better option, buy the Panasonic with 5 year guarantee or look at the new LED 32 inch Philips for 700.
Thanks in advance for any help and thoughts given on the better option.
Optimisitic

I would go for the LCD at 37", but the Panasonic (5 year warrenty is very good) have a good name. Early plasmas had stories of needing their gas recharged after a few years. The current LED screens are better, but for me currently have a too large premium on price.

BTW. The current LED TVs are not true LED screens, but LCD screens using LEDs to backlight the picture, rather than small florescent (CCFL) tubes. Just like the early 'Digital TV' which were not digital at all, 10-15 years ago....

Plasmas never needed re-gassing, that was a myth. They're sealed units, no means of doing such.

I think it's a little early for LED TVs as well and would wait for the next generation before making the plunge. If you watch a lot of fast moving images, particularly sports, plasma is better than LCD due to better response rates.

Panasonic are a great brand in TVs, particularly plasmas where they are the market leaders.
Leo

Optimisitic, How do you receive your TV signal? If you use or ever want to use an aerial it is important that you get a TV which has a MPEG4 Tuner.

You can get that Panasonic in 42 inches at the same price! :

just bought a philips 100 hz LCD 42" .. great picture!
Plasma didnt suit as it gives off too much heat for my place
The LED stuff only confused me!

Make sure your new TV is compatable with your other accessories
In my case I bought a blue ray home cinema as well only to find the new TV didnt have an "optical in" so I ended messing around with leads which I wanted to get away from ... so do your research and look at the big picture ... (oops. sorry for pun or what ever that was!!!)

LCD. early days for LED yet I think.

Large LCD give a great picture. Samsung particularily good IMO.

LCD is more reliable and longer lasting. Picture quality on new sets is very good. Someone in the industry told me recently that plasma is on the way out because LCD quality has improved so much.

Is LCD still poor at following soccer/GAA etc due to the speed of the ball? That's a big issue, for me anyway with LCD (if it hasnt improved)

Need to buy new telly too, very technology illiterate, will never watch sports if I can help it so just need something with reasonable picture. Looked at Philips 37" 8 Series reduced to €699, anyone know if this seems ok? I know its irrelevant to performance but I like the ambilight feature on the Philips.

LCD is more reliable and longer lasting. Picture quality on new sets is very good. Someone in the industry told me recently that plasma is on the way out because LCD quality has improved so much.

Looking at Panasonic they say their plasma has a lifespan of 100,000 hours while their LCD is 60,000 so the plasma has nearly twice the lifespan.
Different brands concentrate on different technologies and when someone in the industry states a preference one way or the other, their opinions are usually coloured by the product they deal with.

Is LCD still poor at following soccer/GAA etc due to the speed of the ball? That's a big issue, for me anyway with LCD (if it hasnt improved)

Yes, response times on LCDs will always be an issue due to the underlying technology. Fast moving images will result in blocking and streaking, this is most noticable in sport where cameras are panning, but will also impact films, and any sceen with a lot of movement.

4000 posts Leo - nice work.

I don't find any problem watching soccer/GAA/golf/motor racing on my LCD - it was a worry when I bought it but turned out to be unfounded. Samsung telly by the way.

Thanks NorfBank...they're all quality too I'm sure :D

Regarding fast moving images on LCDs, you need to look carefully at the response time, you want this as low a value as you can afford. The bigger the screen the more noticable the effect.

Samsung's series 6 models have 120Hz refresh rate and a 4ms response time, which aren't bad at all. Decent plasmas will have 200-600+Hz refresh rates with negligible response times.

just get that philips and you wont regret it, do a good chase for best price.

noah

I got a philips 5000 series LCD 100hz 42" 2.1 system 40 W surround sound €799 Harvey Norman... happy out!

I got the Panasonic the OP mentioned for 549 in powercity with 5yr warranty - great telly, super picture. The deep black levels are great and picture looks real, unlike LCD where everything looks like a cartoon.
No fancy extras such as ethernet connection etc but its a tv, not a computer. Can connect a media player for €100 that will do the extras properly if needed. Highly recommend. Was skeptical about Plasma as they never look well in the shops but happy to be proved wrong.

We got a Phillips 2 weeks ago - sometimes the sound goes all distorted when we change channels - we have UPC tv connection by the way - if I turn off the tv or the UPC box it starts to work again - anyone any idea why this is happening?

Need to buy new telly too, very technology illiterate, will never watch sports if I can help it so just need something with reasonable picture. Looked at Philips 37" 8 Series reduced to €699, anyone know if this seems ok? I know its irrelevant to performance but I like the ambilight feature on the Philips.

Where was it that price - we were quoted 849 for 37" ambilight series 7

tv

You know funny thing was when I googled that particular tv to see if it was available cheaper I couldnt come near the price. Just wondering if the correct model at all was advertised, it was in smallish rural town shop, advertised in local paper as only 4 in sale. Didnt buy it anyway, maybe I should have at that price!

Few weeks ago now so presumably they are sold now.

Back