Irish Nationwide Deposit Safety

Lingua

I have a lump sum waiting to be invested... had ideas about Irish Nationwide, now however Im having doubts, espec. considering todays news...
Any advice here welcome

Re: Irish Nationwide

INBS deposits are now effectively in a state body.

Your deposit is guaranteed by the state up to 100,000 EUR beyond September 2010.

The state is AA rated.

if I have €100,000 deposited in nationwide for a year and I get €3,500 interest (gross), would I get the interest back as well if the guarantee had to be called in?

Would seem prudent to stay under the guarantee ceiling in any one deposit institution?

Would seem prudent to stay under the guarantee ceiling in any one deposit institution?

Yes, I would agree.

I would not advise anyone, who has significant deposits, to exceed 100,000 EUR in Anglo, AIB, EBS, PTSB or INBS.

Am confused now, I underood all deposits were guaranteed up to the end of September and in particular deposits placed in a fixed term account in any one of the institutions mentioned by Fungus and indeed all other funds in native institutions were guaranteed for up to 5 years once the account was a fixed term deposit and opened before September 30th 2010, ?

Yes, thats correct for term deposits.

However, placing 100k in term deposits, in these banks may still not be the best choice both from a long term safety and return on your money perspective.

Fergus,

In your view, are there ANY banks left at this stage that are a good choice for "long term safety"???

Just to clarify the ELG Scheme, if investing in a fixed term account prior to Sept 28th, this is only guaranteed up until the fixed term expires, to a maximum of 5 years, so if you invest in Sept 2010 in a 1 year FTA you will only have the guarantee until Sept 2011.

Is nationwide uk online only?

Off topic slightly but yes they do have one office in Spencer Dock. You can pop in with all your bits n pieces and open an account there. In terms of norma day to day transaction the only way to do it is online.

Whizzkid,

Our company was planning on depositing €300,000 in INBS for one year fixed term- from your post it would imply that any deposit placed by Sept 2010 would be guaranteed to Sept 2011 but up to a maximum of €100,000.

Am I correct in my assumptions ?

Our company was planning on depositing €300,000 in INBS for one year fixed term- from your post it would imply that any deposit placed by Sept 2010 would be guaranteed to Sept 2011 but up to a maximum of €100,000.

Am I correct in my assumptions ?

No. Any amount will be covered by the ELG Scheme. However they are not automatically covered for 5 years, they are only covered for the fixed term, ie 1,2,3,4 or 5years.

Back