Good luck in finding the resources to enforce your rights against a nasty employer!

Complainer

All workers rights are protected by law. You dont need a union.
Good luck in finding the resources to enforce your rights against a nasty employer without having a union behind you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Joining siptu

Good luck in finding the resources to enforce your rights against a nasty employer without having a union behind you.

In fairness, they don't sound nasty. Cutting the hours of the better paid workers seems an attempt to fairly spread the pain. Not much comfort when you are the better paid I realise, with probably the expenses to match.

Not that we're resorting to stereotypes or anything... (four legs good, two legs bad/ employees good, employers bad; Orwell was taking the "P" out of that simpleminded clap-trap a lifetime ago).

Not that we're resorting to stereotypes or anything... (four legs good, two legs bad/ employees good, employers bad; Orwell was taking the "P" out of that simpleminded clap-trap a lifetime ago).

Most stereotypes have some basis in fact: there are bad employers, or employers who get things wrong, and there are employees who are unfairly treated. bms1 has expressed a concern about unfairness. Good union advice and representation can be valuable in such situations.

Most stereotypes have some basis in fact:

Drunken Irish
Mean Jews
Lazy Blacks

Stereotypes are dangerous because they introduce a predetermined bias and stop us looking at things based on their own merits.

Stereotypes are dangerous because they introduce a predetermined bias and stop us looking at things based on their own merits.

I'll give you that, but you should give me that most stereotypes are based on something. Not all, and not always on a fair view.

You responded to a suggestion that there might be a nasty employer, yet I am sure you will agree that such persons exist.

Perhaps you will concede that you find it difficult to see the good side of trade unions.

You responded to a suggestion that there might be a nasty employer, yet I am sure you will agree that such persons exist.

Perhaps you will concede that you find it difficult to see the good side of trade unions.
There are good and bad employers just as there are good and bad unions (or more specifically, union officials). People are people; I don't think that employers or union members are any more or less likely to by fundamentally good or bad people. Because of that the actions of both employers and unions should be jusged on a case by case basis.

There are good and bad employers just as there are good and bad unions (or more specifically, union officials). People are people; I don't think that employers or union members are any more or less likely to by fundamentally good or bad people. Because of that the actions of both employers and unions should be jusged on a case by case basis.

We have agreement.

Our brief discussion should not be regarded as a digression from addressing bms1's original question, even though neither of us has attempted a direct answer to it. The answer involves some consideration of what the employer is really like, and what the union at the local level might be like.

In fairness, they don't sound nasty.
In fairness, you're right. I wasn't referring to this particular scenario in my comment - just to col's general comment. There are some nasty employers out there, and you may well need union support in dealing with them. There are of course some nasty employees, and some nasty waitresses and some nasty pilots etc etc etc.

Back