Clio Campus sudden rough engine noise & loss of power

widescreen

Folks

My missus was driving her 06 Renault clio campus 1.2 Petrol(around 55,000kms) today on a return journey of around 60 miles. All was ok on the outward leg, but as she started to drive back the car suddenly started chugging and the engine seemed to have no power.

The engine management light came on and then another warning light (says Pre Heat or something in the book)came on but then went off.She stopped the car and noticed a burning smell from the front. She had no choice but to continue home and the chugging and loss of power was still there. The one thing she forgot to look at was the temperature gauge.
I checked the car when she got back. Coolant and oil levels are fine and no sign of any leaks etc. I started the engine,it sounds crap and the engine management/warning light continuously on.

In advance of trying to get it fixed next week can anyone hazard a guess as to what this problem has the symptoms of.

Thanks

One or more coil-packs have failed. These generate the spark for each spark-plug (one coil-pack / spark-plug).

+1. You're lucky doing well to get as far as 4 yrs old 55'000 km on the originals.They are a pure disaster.

hi folks many thanks for feedback.

If that is indeed the problem can my usual mechanic fix it or does it have to be the Renault dealer? And is it ok to drive it for a few miles to the garage?

In otherwords ,is it driveable without the immediate risk of total breakdown?

thanks a lot

My Octavia has had 2 coil packs fail so I had the dealer replaced all 4, they are easy to replace the mechanic should have no problem; I keep a spare pack in the boot. You can drive short distances but you are putting unburnt fuel through the CAT, long distance will damage it.
If it is the coil pack, for peace of mind have all 4 replaced.

My Octavia has had 2 coil packs fail so I had the dealer replaced all 4, they are easy to replace the mechanic should have no problem; I keep a spare pack in the boot. You can drive short distances but you are putting unburnt fuel through the CAT, long distance will damage it.
If it is the coil pack, for peace of mind have all 4 replaced.

You should have bought the diesel;)

The Renault Pencil Coil, never leave home without a spare!

You have 4, they say if one goes replace all 4...

To find the offender:

Remove plastic engine cover (does Clio have one?),
Start engine,
Unplug each one in turn until you fine the one which makes no difference to the running of the engine.
Remove with simple socket set (one bolt),
Replace with new one,

or

Drop into local Renault dealer and pay €400+. They were charging over €100 for one, you get 4 on the ebay for €50/60.

BTW, it is not good for your cat to drive the car with 3.

product2.jpg

thanks to all. That was indeed the problem. She got it fixed now and its going brilliant. I suggested to our mechanic to replace all four but he said there was no point as no guarantee the others will all fail. However, he phoned later and said the part was indeed a "sealed pack" and all in fact would be replaced. Cost us well under €200,so maybe not too bad.

Back