On Journalism

nadnerB

This might be a partial answer to the question that was posted on this very board Has journalism failed us?

In today's Sunday Independent our Brendan O'Connor writes:

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/a...g-day-we-mounted-property-ladder-2007147.html

[quote/]
All those paper millions that made us all feel so rich are gone, and now we curse the day we ever got on the ladder, we curse the ancestry that gave us this obsession with the land, and we curse the politicians, the banks and the media that encouraged the madness.
[/quote]

What?
You curse the media?
OK let's assume that you weren't part of the media "that encouraged the madness" for a second... No sorry I can't, you were THAT media, the very one that encouraged the madness unless you can confirm that you never said the below:

The smart, ballsy guys are buying up property right now - Sunday July 29 2007 - )

A beautiful extract of that article reads:
Tell you what, I think I know what I'd be doing if I had money, and if I wasn't already massively over-exposed to the property market by virtue of owning a reasonable home. I'd be buying property.

And today you have the guts of blaming the media? Please tell me that this is an attempt of getting back to your old profession, the comedian.

Best Regards

nadnerB

I read that article myself and just could not believe my eyes!!
This guy has made a complete U -turn in his scribblings.
He makes me laugh anyway.

Talk about running with the foxes and hunting with the hounds,no idea how he is even able to walk with a pair of cojones that big,maybe he has a wheelbarrow for them?the guy is a bloody joke...the Fourth estate(exception Shane Ross) shamefully failed the Irish public utterly over the last decade.

...the Fourth estate(exception Shane Ross) shamefully failed the Irish public utterly over the last decade.

including this very website....the bust was painted in full detail here at least 2 years prior to the top of 2006 until all debate was shutdown when a wider audience started to take notice. 100% and interest only mortgages were described as reckless before they had even entered the irish market.

Talk about running with the foxes and hunting with the hounds,no idea how he is even able to walk with a pair of cojones that big,maybe he has a wheelbarrow for them?the guy is a bloody joke...the Fourth estate(exception Shane Ross) shamefully failed the Irish public utterly over the last decade.

What about Gene Kerrigan.The only reason to by
the indo(if ya did buy it)

Yes by all accounts I agree Gene Kerrigan is one of the few who can rightly call themselves a Journalist,gave up buying the Sunday Indo years ago,read Shane Ross online,Sunday Indo is a rag,frankly I found the sychophantic drivel put out by Barry Egan amongst others to be utterly distasteful and would usually trigger a gag reflex a few sentences into one of his interviews.

The pandering by the main papers to E/As and Developers in order to sell ad space it their property sections is largely responsible for the current mess we are in,when the Business editor of the Tribune was sacked for joking about how long it was taking for Ken Mc Donald (Hooke & Mc Donald) to sell his gaff,that should have been a clear warning for how skewered their principles had become,never bought that paper again!

Sunday Times is the best read by a good bit.

Because we live in the times we live, media hype is a fact of life. Why is this? Papers will print what people want to read. If they went the understated way they would lose a lot of readership. As we get the politicians we deserve, we also get the papers we deserve. So folks, the answer lies in your own hands. Sensationalism sells papers. Irelands biggest selling paper is anything other than a news journal and yet it is the most popular. It just gives it's readers what they want.

This might be a partial answer to the question that was posted on this very board Has journalism failed us?

In today's Sunday Independent our Brendan O'Connor writes:

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/a...g-day-we-mounted-property-ladder-2007147.html

[quote/]
All those paper millions that made us all feel so rich are gone, and now we curse the day we ever got on the ladder, we curse the ancestry that gave us this obsession with the land, and we curse the politicians, the banks and the media that encouraged the madness.

What?
You curse the media?
OK let's assume that you weren't part of the media "that encouraged the madness" for a second... No sorry I can't, you were THAT media, the very one that encouraged the madness unless you can confirm that you never said the below:

The smart, ballsy guys are buying up property right now - Sunday July 29 2007 - )

A beautiful extract of that article reads:
Tell you what, I think I know what I'd be doing if I had money, and if I wasn't already massively over-exposed to the property market by virtue of owning a reasonable home. I'd be buying property.

And today you have the guts of blaming the media? Please tell me that this is an attempt of getting back to your old profession, the comedian.

Best Regards

nadnerB[/quote]

Journalists, a necessary evil????

Back